KJ Wright: I wouldn't pay Geno more than $20M

QWERTY

Reaction score
Don't re-sign Geno. Just draft other QB's hold on to the #5 pick, and hopefully one of the other QBs like Levis or Richardson stock rises. That #5 draft pick can be worth a lot. Carolina and Oakland and Saints need QB's as well.

hawks85

Reaction score
There's tape now. Like it or not Geno's success this season is because there was little to no tape on this guy. Now sure, Geno has talent, but not 30 mil a year talent. Part of the losing streak was Geno's ability to adjust. Geno has earned a payday but I would stick around the 10-15 mil mark, if not let his ass walk and roll with lock. I'm still not convinced Geno's the guy.

balakoth

Reaction score
Pete also said "we found our guy" when asked about Geno.

So Henderson's comments don't really prove that Pete and John aren't willing to give Geno a decent contract.

Now if Geno and his agent think they're getting stupid money? Yeah I'm sure Pete and John are confident that they're system is QB friendly enough to hopefully find Geno's replacement.

But Henderson's comment doesn't = we're not paying Geno. Just means they're already spinning the PR machine to make sure Geno and his agent know they're not giving him stupid money and are perfectly fine letting him walk if another team does.
Pete has also said a lot of this crap over his years

balakoth

Reaction score
So what are your thoughts if you're wrong? What if he gets 35+ million a year? Your 3 year, 60 million guaranteed is quite frankly an absurdly low number. That's is not happening. Go look at the most recent QB contracts and how they've been ramping up. Tannehill had a similar season after disappointing in Miami and he got 29.5, really 30 million per year with incentives.

That was just 2 years ago, since then the salary cap and contracts have ramped up pushing the floor for QB contracts ever higher. There are now 13 QB's making around or higher than 30 million per year at the moment. Close to half the league.

Geno is going to get paid.
For one year of success? Just goes to show how idiotic GMs are then I guess

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
For one year of success? Just goes to show how idiotic GMs are then I guess
Yes, just look at the Broncos. The team is stacked, yet because they had subpar QB play, they were one of the worst in the league. If you don't have a servicable QB you're always going to be a bottom feeder. Everyone is desperate to find that guy, especially when the jobs of the GM's and HC's are at stake.

Geno also did some things that are beyond "backup tier" level of play. If you looked and characters like Case Keenum and Fitzpatrick, they did things that were unsustainable over the long haul. Geno was making elite throws and showed crazy levels of accuracy. Those are things that these one hit wonders never did.

Some GM's are going to look at that tape and offer Smith a lot of money. I'm still unsure of where I sit on Geno. He did things that are simply beyond the realm of any average QB, but he also is not great in clutch situations.

The other thing about Geno is he plays in one of the most prolific offense systems in the NFL, the Shanahan/McVay system. He can fit in seamlessly into a lot of teams offenses because of how widespread this stuff is now.

GemCity

Reaction score
If there was any a time where PC and JS thought they could plug and play a QB into the system, it’s now.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I've said it before & I'll say it again, it will all come down to the guaranteed money.

If Geno can get 65M for 3 years with 45M or so guaranteed I think he resigns.
I was thinking almost the same exact thing, $65M to $68M, MAX.
I think Geno knows that his age is going to be an issue, whether it be in Seattle or somewhere else in the League.
Putting myself in his shoes, I would think that he'd like to stay put, especially if John shows him that he trusts that he can still be showing some incremental improvements and offers him a 3-year contract.
There's not a lot of wear & tear on Geno, so I think that, that 3 year contract would show him the Respect & that the confidence that Pete has in him would be the kicker to that Guaranteed money, and being Honest here, I don't think anyone will be beating the doors down to sign him to a super payday, I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

balakoth

Reaction score
Yes, just look at the Broncos. The team is stacked, yet because they had subpar QB play, they were one of the worst in the league. If you don't have a servicable QB you're always going to be a bottom feeder. Everyone is desperate to find that guy, especially when the jobs of the GM's and HC's are at stake.

Geno also did some things that are beyond "backup tier" level of play. If you looked and characters like Case Keenum and Fitzpatrick, they did things that were unsustainable over the long haul. Geno was making elite throws and showed crazy levels of accuracy. Those are things that these one hit wonders never did.

Some GM's are going to look at that tape and offer Smith a lot of money. I'm still unsure of where I sit on Geno. He did things that are simply beyond the realm of any average QB, but he also is not great in clutch situations.

The other thing about Geno is he plays in one of the most prolific offense systems in the NFL, the Shanahan/McVay system. He can fit in seamlessly into a lot of teams offenses because of how widespread this stuff is now.
Geno was making Elite throws for one year... while I love him yes... but the "long haul" Geno has shown he isn't

balakoth

Reaction score
Not to mention he missed a ton of "elite throws" and wide open TDs

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
So, when are we looking at the Hawks being real potential contenders? This has to be a factor, doesn't it? I think minimum two years out. What's the point of signing Geno for a year? Or is he a longer term option?

keasley45

Reaction score
So, when are we looking at the Hawks being real potential contenders? This has to be a factor, doesn't it? I think minimum two years out. What's the point of signing Geno for a year? Or is he a longer term option?
It's about long term commitment in my eyes. His guaranteed money is going to be north of 50 mil if we extend him 3 years or more. Add to that the contract term, and you've got a guy you're paying a ton of cash to and aren't 100% sure of.

Why not pay him more for a one year 'confirm it' deal, sub 50 mil, after which, if he's gone all T Brady, well that's a good issue to have. And sure, maybe you've lost 10 mil over the life of the deal by paying him franchise tag money, year one, but it would be a drop in the bucket across the full term of an extension, If it's even an issue - I think if we franchised Geno and he played lights out and we signed him up longer next year, he'd factor the first year money into his calculus in negotiating what hed consider a reasonable long term extension.
Besides, I'm not sold on the supposed 'top tier' qbs this year anymore than I was this last year. ESPECIALLY after seeing how the last pick in the draft just lit us up.

getnasty

Reaction score
Drew Lock will not be on this roster next year. What are you guys thinking? He suddenly isn't shit? There's not a scenario where he is back, not for minimum, not as a beer vendor.
The same could have been said about Geno Smith before last year. Plus Geno was coming of a dui arrest that wasn't a great look too.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
Just curious — might you be able to cite a few examples in each category?
And while at it, please, pretty please count the number of dropped balls that easily could have / should have been interceptions. If you weren't seeing this, I'm sorry, but you weren't paying attention. Ask yourself how many times this past year you said to yourself, a friend or even a pet "Whoa, he got lucky with that one". Cuz I said just that many times.

I am not anti-Geno. Not at all. But his numbers do not tell the entire story. Of course the same can be said for all QBs, but I'm talking about Geno Smith. He had a good year and some of that good was born from luck. I'd like to see the tape assembled by Pete and JS used to negotiate his pending deal. And for the several that think Geno is now somehow irreplaceable, I wish you could see that tape, too.

70 for 3? I could roll with that. But all this talk of 35-40 per? What? Whether we agree or disagree with KJ on Geno, you sure can't argue we have many holes to fill and that will cost money.

In these ridiculous times of insane QB money, we may have to develop a strategy where every few years we use a 1st on a QB then trade him away before or as their rookie deal expires. Right now, of the top 10 highest paid QBs...how many are left in the play-offs? I can only think of Allen and Mahomes off the top of my head. Maybe Prescott...but that means teams paying these astronomical numbers are for the most part watching from home.

AgentDib

Reaction score
This is a key point. Personally, I would be comfortable with a slightly longer actual rebuild where we drafted a QB, played a bunch more youth despite their inexperience, cleared away more dead cap, and added more draft capital if the opportunity presented itself by trading down for 2024 picks.

That's also probably not how Pete and John are looking at 2023 after making the playoffs this season. They're not going to want to take a step backwards and so their moves will be made with an eye towards competing for the division against the 49ers immediately. That means re-signing Geno, bolstering the defensive line against the run, and upgrading our speed and tackling ability across the defense.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
If the prevailing wisdom by so many is that we don't need an elite qb, just a good one, along with an elite defense, then why would we want to pay Geno big bucks, which will make fielding that elite D that much more difficult, instead of just rolling with Lock and a rookie?
The problem is any QB known to be good in the NFL costs $30. We can go with a rookie or Locke but there is at least a 50% chance they will not be "good". And getting a QB at 5 (or trading up to go higher) while costing less $ than Geno uses up a lot more draft capital and we have too many holes in our team to waste all that draft capital on a Trubisky or Z. Wilson.

WarHawks

Reaction score
The problem is any QB known to be good in the NFL costs $30. We can go with a rookie or Locke but there is at least a 50% chance they will not be "good". And getting a QB at 5 (or trading up to go higher) while costing less $ than Geno uses up a lot more draft capital and we have too many holes in our team to waste all that draft capital on a Trubisky or Z. Wilson.
That can be said about any top 5 pick. Why is a qb any different?

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Personally, I think Geno earned a good starting QB salary this year. That means $30m+ as the top 13 QBs all make $30m+.

I do think KJ is correct though, that this team needs a lot more talent to contend. Is paying Geno $30m going to move the needle in beating SF? I don't think so. The defense is too shaky to spend all that money on a very good, not great QB.

If Geno was say, 30 years old and you could count on 4-5 years with him, I would say do it. I just worry we sign him to a 3yr/$90m deal and by year 3 we just have another big dead cap hit that is preventing us from maximizing our roster.