Jalen Carter

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think y’all need to cut the crap with the whole “accident” and how it affects him. His issues were WELL before the accident. Period.

So please give a more valid response to his lack of motivation, lack of work ethic, out of shape and bombing pro day, not doing the combine, taking plays off mid game, conditioning issues. None of which have anything to do with the accident. And most of which were issues well before.

It's not a new psychological theory to know that your personal life affects your professional life, especially at a young age like this.

Of course the accident affected Carter's headspace and emotional stability to focus on his pre-draft workouts.

But none of this matters to us. All we care about is can we trust him 100% to come in and work his ass off, focus on football and live up to the #5 pick.

And what all of this does mean? It means the answer is no.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I agree with most of this. The weight gain might be explained by some innocent occurrence, but when you couple it with multiple observations of his poor conditioning, it fits a pattern of a lack of preparation making it difficult for one to ignore or justify.
Bears are bringing him to Chicago for a private workout and interviews. Final decision mid-April. I guarantee you that Eberflus is not worried about conditioning. He runs his training camp like Marine Corps boot camp. If he comes in overweight, the coaches will take care of that. Poles and the coaches pride themselves on their ability to manage players, so would welcome the challenge if he checks out in other respects. This is not a Nagy operation.

Last edited:

toffee

Reaction score
OK, let's not talk about Carter's legal, conditioning or motivation issues. Shall we talk a bit about his football prowess? He was the media darling, the projected #1 overall pick. His stats didn't jump out and grab ya, can someone analyse what's so great about Carter's game? Was it his football IQ, quickness? size? twists, moves?

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
OK, let's not talk about Carter's legal, conditioning or motivation issues. Shall we talk a bit about his football prowess? He was the media darling, the projected #1 overall pick. His stats didn't jump out and grab ya, can someone analyse what's so great about Carter's game? Was it his football IQ, quickness? size? twists, moves?
Over on the Bears board, the folks are divided essentially into two groups: (1) Those who look at statistics, and (2) Those who look at the tape. Eberflus says that 80% of his evaluation of players comes from looking at the tape, and the other 20% is other stuff such as "loves to play football." What you see on tape is a guy who pretty consistently beats the guy (or two) who are trying to block him.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
It looked like he partied the night before pro day and wolfed down some Waffle House before weigh ins hung over. That’s a no go here

toffee

Reaction score
Over on the Bears board, the folks are divided essentially into two groups: (1) Those who look at statistics, and (2) Those who look at the tape. Eberflus says that 80% of his evaluation of players comes from looking at the tape, and the other 20% is other stuff such as "loves to play football." What you see on tape is a guy who pretty consistently beats the guy (or two) who are trying to block him.
So he could be a Clowney type but as a DT? Someone who beats his blocker, being disruptive but not necessary show up as pressure, hits, or sacks?

SonicHawk

Reaction score
So he could be a Clowney type but as a DT? Someone who beats his blocker, being disruptive but not necessary show up as pressure, hits, or sacks?

He's got NFL hands, NFL feet, NFL moves, power and speed. He's a dominant run defender.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
It looks and sounds like he's going through survivors remorse. If he was able to put on a stellar performance at his pro day and continue on with his life as if nothing happened I'd have concerns about him learning from this experience, being able to shrugg it off and move on so fast. The fact that's he's in a somewhat self inflicted downward spiral, to me, shows that he can learn from this experience and hopefully be a better version of himself. Will he? That remains to be seen.

toffee

Reaction score

He's got NFL hands, NFL feet, NFL moves, power and speed. He's a dominant run defender.

32 tackles as a DT was good, but 3 sacks while not bad, didn't quite go out and grab attention. Not challenging you at all, just curious. Our new/old signing, Reed had 10 sack season in NFL playing DT. Reed's last year in Bama, he had 57 tackles and 1 sack, playing NT. Reed's draft report:
+++
A transfer to Alabama from East Mississippi Community College, Jarran Reed made an impact that doesn’t show up on stat sheets as the anchor of the Alabama defense in 2015. As the Crimson Tide made another title run, it was Reed keeping the athletic linebackers clean and setting up one-on-one looks for defensive ends Jonathan Allen and A’Shawn Robinson.

Reed is a prototypical nose tackle—6’3” with a stout, squatty build and tree-trunk legs. He plays with power but also has refined technique in his hand placement and leverage. His balance, body control and wide base allow Reed to truly sit down and anchor in double-team situations. He’s able to absorb combination blocks and chips with strong shoulders and won’t let himself be walked back. Reed’s bad plays are stalemates.
+++

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
It looked like he partied the night before pro day and wolfed down some Waffle House before weigh ins hung over. That’s a no go here
Tater seems all too likely to go full on Jamarcus "Purple Drank" Russell. I'm old(ish) and could have completed those drills. I might have died afterwards. Someone will draft him thinking they can fix him and fail miserably. I don't want it to be the Hawks.

Own The West

Reaction score
I think that’s where the 34 mismatch talk comes from. He’s too big to play OLB and on the light side to play DE. As is he’s just right to play 43 DE. Compare him to Carlos Dunlap, who’s 15 pounds heavier, and you really don’t think of Dunlap as an inside player.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
He’ll get his share of stats, but a 3-tech who can penetrate into the backfield and disrupt the flow of the play allows his teammates to get stats, too. Eberflus calls 3-Tech the “engine of the defense,” which is why he’ll be crying if Poles doesn’t get him Carter. However, Poles has his own job security to protect.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Being older can suck at times and there is no replacement for the potential of youth..

That being said.

I'm grateful I don't have to be perpetually judged by one or two decisions I made in my teens and twenties. Being able to fail in anonymity can be a blessing.

keasley45

Reaction score
He just pled no contest. Community service, defensive driving course, and a fine. If hes there at 5, i think Pete and John take him.

Dude has learned the hardest way one possibly can short of one's own death (which is too late) the potential consequences of foolish, reckless behavior.

Kinger95

Reaction score
Honestly I’m hoping Arizona trades the 3rd pick it won’t matter

nanomoz

Reaction score
The Hawks D is not as rigid as you're thinking it is.

As are most defenses, far more fluid than fans think. Just last year the Hawks played 3-4, 4-3, Bear front, press man, cover 2, 3, etc.

Wilson is an absolute freak of a human, with length, bend and athleticism for days. So don't worry about him "fitting" into whatever schemes we're running.

As far as Carter goes? I was still 80% in on him despite the accident, but after yesterday? I'm 100% out. Off field immaturity issues can turn to a mature human being as time goes along, but on field fire for the game? Desire to prove the doubters wrong by killing it at your pro day..............IN YOUR TOWN..........AT YOUR SCHOOL.........WITH A COMPLETELY CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT OF YOUR CHOOSING.

And throwing up all over yourself? Nope. I'm out, too important of a pick to whiff on a dude who appears to not be fully engaged in his professional job interview, cause that's what pro days are. Job interviews, and Carter failed his miserably.
Good post. But I think they weren't as rigid last season because they didn't have the personnel. I think (and the signings thus far seem to support this) they're moving more toward a traditional three-man front with OLB/Edge hybrids.