Jalen Carter

CactusJack

Reaction score
He is a 43 end. He doesn't fit the defense at all.
You sure? Because he played in a 34 at Tech.

“The kid that blew me away when I went to see him was Tyree Wilson at Texas Tech,” said the exec. “He’s an ideal 3–4 outside ’backer. Long arms. Natural power and snap that he puts to use [against] both run and pass. Instinctive pass rusher that can finish. Wins with a variety of moves and isn’t a one-trick pony. He’s like a four-trick pony. He wins inside. Outside. Through your middle. That length gives him a major advantage at QB depth. I see so many guys that can rush that get close. This guy knows how to seal the deal.”

Last edited:

Ozzy

Reaction score
You sure? Because he played in a 34 at Tech.
I’ve seen ,ultippenplaces say he’s not an ideal fit for the defense although the defense is fluid and not sure what Pete will end up doing. 5 seems high for Wilson especially if a really good QB is there but just not sure if John sees it the same way

CactusJack

Reaction score
I’ve seen ,ultippenplaces say he’s not an ideal fit for the defense although the defense is fluid and not sure what Pete will end up doing. 5 seems high for Wilson especially if a really good QB is there but just not sure if John sees it the same way
I disagree. Most of the respected NFL media guys, like Daniel Jeremiah, who is a former scout & Lance Zierlein hold Wilson in high regard. Graded as a top 5 player on their big boards. Most of the analysts with scouting backgrounds seem to share this opinion.

Wilson seems to be viewed more highly by teams & NFL personnel than by the average fan. He could even go as high as 3rd overall to Arizona, if you believe some of the reports.

Last edited:

AgentDib

Reaction score
In my view Tyree Wilson is a developmental fit in a 3-4 defense, which I consider a partial fit for us. I do like him but he's in the same tier for me as the guys who we're talking about at #20.

Wilson looks like a shorter version of Dwight Howard. Really huge boxy frame and enormous wingspan with good college production against both the run and pass.

The issue is that he won nearly entirely with strength in the big 12, mostly bull rushing guys who aren't ever going to be in the NFL. He doesn't have the bend or agility to win on the outside against NFL tackles, and his strength may have overwhelmed big 12 tackles but that's doubtful to translate immediately to the NFL. His 23 reps on the bench is better than it looks due to his arm length, but it isn't dominant.

The reason why he could develop into a strong two gap player is largely his frame and wingspan. He was a very fit 271lb at the combine and could stand to pack on a lot more weight. If he gets up to 290lbs+ then you could have a pretty decent comp to Cameron Heyward who can dominate at 4i/5 with power. Wilson's intangibles also seem good with a really high motor and seemingly good work ethic. However, there may always be leverage questions due to his height.

In short, good potential but in my view the production is being overrated due to the generally low level of competition he was playing against.

CactusJack

Reaction score
In my view Tyree Wilson is a developmental fit in a 3-4 defense, which I consider a partial fit for us. I do like him but he's in the same tier for me as the guys who we're talking about at #20.

Wilson looks like a shorter version of Dwight Howard. Really huge boxy frame and enormous wingspan with good college production against both the run and pass.
View attachment 58262

The issue is that he won nearly entirely with strength in the big 12, mostly bull rushing guys who aren't ever going to be in the NFL. He doesn't have the bend or agility to win on the outside against NFL tackles, and his strength may have overwhelmed big 12 tackles but that's doubtful to translate immediately to the NFL. His 23 reps on the bench is better than it looks due to his arm length, but it isn't dominant.

The reason why he could develop into a strong two gap player is largely his frame and wingspan. He was a very fit 271lb at the combine and could stand to pack on a lot more weight. If he gets up to 290lbs+ then you could have a pretty decent comp to Cameron Heyward who can dominate at 4i/5 with power. Wilson's intangibles also seem good with a really high motor and seemingly good work ethic. However, there may always be leverage questions due to his height.

In short, good potential but in my view the production is being overrated due to the generally low level of competition he was playing against.
That's a well thought out response.

I think teams see him as an ascending player, to go along with that potential. That frame is too enticing for scouts & coaches alike.

I ultimately think that it will come down to either Anderson or Wilson as the pick. If the Cards stay put & take Anderson, then it becomes an easy choice & vice versa.

Schuemansky

Reaction score
I honestly cannot believe that somebody here still is willing to draft Carter (in any round).
Let's hope some other front office thinks the same and a guy with a longer NFL career the Carter's willget pushed down.

seabowl

Reaction score
Physically gifted like Tarzan, brain like Homer Simpson

keasley45

Reaction score
I dont know. If Pete and John have done their due diligience, spoken to him, and have a confidence that hes a good guy whos done some childish things, Carter may be the EXACT type of guy they want.

They've always prized the players with a chip or who have an underdog mentality or who are looking for a second chance. Not often do those types come with top 10 talent.

In Carter, they *could have a blue chip player who has bottomed out in terms of emotional strain, having been involved in an event that took the life of two friends, and who is now hearing across the nation, how his career is over before it started, how he's the definition of a redflag, etc.

If his poor workout showing was a result of being a kid who has just learned the hardest life lesson one can, and who is struggling mightily as a result, having a team show confidence in him and supporting him in 'exile' in south alaska, could be exactly the recipe to turn him into one of those types who is eternally grateful (and eternally motivated like hes never been) to make good on his gift.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I can't speak to his character, but everything I'm seeing and reading makes me question his judgement. And fitness.

samwize77

Reaction score
I'm just not that interested anymore. Forgetting all the noise...just looking at his stats, watching a few videos tells me all I think I need to know. I could see him possibly being a 1/2 round pick. But NOT a top 10. Or even top 20.

Nv_Hawks

Reaction score
“They've always prized the players with a chip or who have an underdog mentality or who are looking for a second chance. Not often do those types come with top 10 talent.” This was prior to last year and Jody getting her hands involved. Their whole philosophy changed with the character of players they are seeking.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Pretty safe to say that the majority are out on Carter. But........can you imagine this place if they DO draft him? So much popcorn.

WmHBonney

Reaction score

James in PA

Reaction score
Update on Jalen Carter: https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ds-no-contest-charges-reckless-driving-racing

Apparently, he did NOT leave the scene until he was told that he could do so. There will be no further criminal charges. This clears up potential legal problems but everything else is still up in the air as far as his work ethic, decision making, etc etc etc.
thanks for the link. I'll admit that I have been going back-and-forth on him. So all I can say at this point is: in John and Pete I trust.

Rat

Reaction score
“They've always prized the players with a chip or who have an underdog mentality or who are looking for a second chance. Not often do those types come with top 10 talent.” This was prior to last year and Jody getting her hands involved. Their whole philosophy changed with the character of players they are seeking.
That description doesnt fit Carter anyway. He doesn't seem especially driven, no pun intended.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Really, it changed in 2018. That was when they culled their draft board and adapted the Strong, Tough, Reliable mantra. They've only doubled down on it since.