Is Special Teams a concern?

ZagHawk

Reaction score
First off, Hawks are 5-1. How awesome is that?

Okay now into Debbie Downer mode. The narrative is often a team by week 6-7 is about what you're going to see the rest of the year, unless they suddenly get hot (or have injuries *knock on wood*).

That being said, with what we've seen thus far. Is special teams a concern?

LTH

Reaction score
If one were to look at the saints game, they kicked our butts on special teams! Is it a concern? I think its an area they need to improve on for sure...

LTH

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It is bad enough that you wait for them screw up, then they give up a huge ST return, miss a kick, take a dumb holding penalty, etc.. Nobody is surprised, and the team is then playing from behind.

This is an area where I think there needs to be a coaching change. Each opponent are able to find weakness in the coverage scheme early each game. Don't know if it's coaching or undisciplined play but sooner or later it will cost the team a game.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Absolutely it's a concern, in all phases.

Here we thought the combo of Dickson and Myers would be the strength of our special teams, and both have been terrible, especially Dickson. What the hell's going on with him?

He's not making the Pro Bowl again, I can tell you that.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":23zppnj2 said:
Absolutely it's a concern, in all phases.

Here we thought the combo of Dickson and Myers would be the strength of our special teams, and both have been terrible, especially Dickson. What the hell's going on with him?

He's not making the Pro Bowl again, I can tell you that.

IMO Dickson is just plain overrated.

Screw the stupid ass trick kicks and just punt the damn ball!

On just average punt he is #24 in the league, so bottom 1/3 of the league.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
It's been a concern for years. Some of it is integrating young guys, but IMO Brian Schneider is not a good ST coach in the least. How long has it been since we blocked a punt before yesterday??

Seymour

Reaction score
I don't care much about blocked punts as that is something not all too easy to do. But these huge kick and punt returns we give up every few games is going to cost us a game soon and the excuses just keep coming year after year with no resolve. ST coaching is like Cabevell 2 IMO. :pukeface:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":22k5ozlz said:
I don't care much about blocked punts as that is something not all too easy to do. But these huge kick and punt returns we give up every few games is going to cost us a game soon and the excuses just keep coming year after year with no resolve. ST coaching is like Cabevell 2 IMO. :pukeface:

Yep, it's the basic special teams stuff we're failing at.

- too many big returns
- too many short punts
- too many line drive punts allowing long returns
- too many lapses in KO return allowing big plays and TD's
- Meyers 5/7 in FG attempts with now one missed extra point

On the flip side, no big KO or punt returns, and frankly as much as I love Lockett back there, he's let WAY too many punts go over his head and pinned our offense back, when he should be at LEAST fair catching the ball.

Blocked punts? Great, that's gravy for special teams. We're failing at the basics.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The thing about special teams is that outliers really stand out and affect the averages. One or two big plays over a season can be the difference between a good unit and a bad unit. Our teams contribution in 2018 was below average but due to high variance it's too early to say much about 2019 IMO other than it has started poorly. One big play next Sunday and we'd be back to league average again.

Seymour

Reaction score
This has been going on 3+ years and outliers is not the answer IMO.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1183870470996688897[/tweet]

That block in the back is plain as day for anyone who reviews the film.

It's why we see so many flags on returns ....... cause the officials don't always throw a flag.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Jville":227v6d21 said:

It's why we see so many flags on returns ....... cause the officials don't always throw a flag.

How bout this Pete, just kick it deep and not depend on your bad kicker to put it where he's suppose to and terrible KO coverage team to try to tackle the KO returner before the 25 yard line.

This goes into the Pete Carroll gets too cute category. Have a great kicker and KO return coverage team? Fine, kick it short and see if you can pin them deeper than the 25.

Have a weak kicker and KO coverage unit? Kick it deep.......EVERY SINGLE TIME.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I really wanted them to kick it deep. But bad kicker? He is solid and BOTH guys missed extra points at that same end of the field.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1496p9t8 said:
Jville":1496p9t8 said:

How bout this Pete, just kick it deep and not depend on your bad kicker to put it where he's suppose to and terrible KO coverage team to try to tackle the KO returner before the 25 yard line.

This goes into the Pete Carroll gets too cute category. Have a great kicker and KO return coverage team? Fine, kick it short and see if you can pin them deeper than the 25.

Both teams had the same problem.....MAJOR WIND was preventing the deep kick on that end of the field.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1n4aohzd said:
I really wanted them to kick it deep. But bad kicker? He is solid and BOTH guys missed extra points at that same end of the field.

5 of 7 FG's with one missed extra point through six weeks is not "solid." It's at the bottom of the league for efficiency.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":30iyo5d8 said:
Sgt. Largent":30iyo5d8 said:
Jville":30iyo5d8 said:

Both teams had the same problem.....MAJOR WIND was preventing the deep kick on that end of the field.

I'm pretty sure Pete was asked this in one of pressers and he said they were trying to kick it deep.

As for the original question, yes, I think it has been a problem for awhile now. I was surprised Schneider wasn't part of the Cable/Bevell purge.