Is Geno Done?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Pete was Geno’s primary advocate. I have no knowledge on where John stands in relation to Geno nor what the future Head Coach will want to do with him.

He’s an excellent bridge QB. But it’s clear that a new coach will want to tie themselves to their pick whether it’s right away or after a season under their belts.

I would move up in the first round and snag a potential QBOTF and have them compete for the starting job in August.

It’s a new era. Might as well go big or go home.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Geno is on the pricey side for a bridge. A new HC may see greater value in the cap savings of moving off Geno for a budget bridge an accept the possible downside of a losing record.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I have to think he is done in Seattle. A new coach will be able to use the intro period to get his guy in there. Do it early, there’s a built in buffer time to get it right. Wait, and fans start to get restless in a year or two if there isn’t a path to success.

Cut Geno, Adam’s, Diggs etc… and reboot. Give the new coaching staff every chance to build “their team”.

Fade

Reaction score
Pete was Geno’s primary advocate. I have no knowledge on where John stands in relation to Geno nor what the future Head Coach will want to do with him.

He’s an excellent bridge QB. But it’s clear that a new coach will want to tie themselves to their pick whether it’s right away or after a season under their belts.

I would move up in the first round and snag a potential QBOTF and have them compete for the starting job in August.

A correct observation.

If Pete was still on board, they were not likely going to take a QB in the 1st rd.

With the coaching change, and JS' QB eval obsession, the odds just increased of them taking 1 in the 1st exponentially.

I'd draft at least 2 in this draft in total. This is the best QB draft in 40 years. The best since 2012 at least.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I think the right football move is see what comes to you in the draft, understand there are significant other holes, and fill needs -- QB being an important one, but you need to have an upgrade, which isn't as easy as just tossing any dude you get on the field.

But yeah, as a new coach, you probably want to draft the QBOTF and take the lottery risk. You know Geno's ceiling and his average.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Obviously we have other holes to fill, especially along the trenches, but if there’s another Stroud we could snag, damn.

seahawks08

Reaction score
It depends on the kind of HC we choose. If it’s a defensive minded coach, he would focus on fixing the defense as a high priority along with his forte of seeing through the changes he wants in place. He may want to continue with the current OC if he feels the system doesn’t need wholesale changes except for shoring up a strong running game. If we hire an offensive minded coach, then I would expect he brings in someone who can maximize the talent we have in both pass and run after evaluating if Geno can be that guy.

knownone

Reaction score
I don't think Geno is going anywhere.

Keeping JS, to me, says ownership believes the team can contend next season with the roster they have. Does that include Geno? Not necessarily. But they aren't in a terrific draft position and are unlikely to find an upgrade at a more reasonable price.

Again, I think ownership gave JS a minor reprieve—to show what he can do as the one in charge—before committing to a proper rebuild. He not only needs to nail the coach, but they need to improve upon last season.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
If he is on the roster on Feb. 16, he's staying. Otherwise...

RickJ35

Reaction score
I have to think he is done in Seattle. A new coach will be able to use the intro period to get his guy in there. Do it early, there’s a built in buffer time to get it right. Wait, and fans start to get restless in a year or two if there isn’t a path to success.

Cut Geno, Adam’s, Diggs etc… and reboot. Give the new coaching staff every chance to build “their team”.
I largely agree with this, clean slate might be best but with JS still there it seems unlikely.

keasley45

Reaction score
I don't think Geno is going anywhere.

Keeping JS, to me, says ownership believes the team can contend next season with the roster they have. Does that include Geno? Not necessarily. But they aren't in a terrific draft position and are unlikely to find an upgrade at a more reasonable price.

Again, I think ownership gave JS a minor reprieve—to show what he can do as the one in charge—before committing to a proper rebuild. He not only needs to nail the coach, but they need to improve upon last season.

Agree with most of this, but I don't think JS is on any short leash.

John is a great GM and will be given authority to take what Pete built and extract the max from its potential.

And I don't know why a new coach would come in and want to get rid of Geno for the sake of 'starting fresh'. It's not as though Geno cant run a more sophisticated offense. So unless the new coach want a Lamar Jackson type, I'm sure he'll be seen as a 'plus' in the equation in that the new staff will know that they can rely on top 10 to 12 qb play from the position in the short term while they strategically shore up other areas of the team.

I dont see a bona-fide franchise guy that can come in this year and play better than what Geno has.

Now, if the new coach looks at someone like Cousins and is enamored with him and prefers his skillset over Geno's, I could see that. But to toss him to the side as if there's something about who or what he is that no longer works because Pete isn't here... I don't see that.

As a matter of fact, I'd say that an offensive minded coach or the new OC might look at Geno and see the potential to get more from him in a system that was a bit more sophisticated.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score

Honestly - QBOTF and let the chips fall where they may.

Inbound coach won't have rose colored glasses on. If Geno deserves to stay in NewHC eyes - keep him.

This is a blowup. Always Compete. Whoever stays with merit, stays.

EDIT: and with Pete gone, ya know, John might have a thing or two to say about this too :)

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
This question is really John Schneider based. From Pete’s presser yesterday it became clearer that Pete really was the final say. He even said he’s excited to see what John can do because it’s finally his chance.

So the question then becomes about power. Is John going to hire a head coach and give him power like Pete. Is it going to be a model like many of the big names have been working with for the last 20 ish years? How much input will the new coach have on personnel.

I believe it was Bill Parcells who started the whole “if I’m going to cook the meal then I want to shop for the groceries “ thing. Before that most NFL models ran under the GM handling player acquisitions with the coach handling the on field stuff. Maybe that’s partly where Chick Knox’s quote of “ you play the had you’re dealt” came from.

We don’t really know how John feels about Geno as the QB. Is John the one who advocated for Drew Lock in the me3 trade?

One things for sure. This is going to be a very interesting offseason and it basically started yesterday. It’s all going to look different. From a coaching search to free agency to the draft to OTAs to camp to preseason…. It’s all going to be different than the last 14 years.

Get ready for some surprises along the way. I think whatever happens with Geno will be a surprise that many don’t see coming.

xray

Reaction score
The starting QB should have to earn that place on the roster ; regardless of who it is . Like it or not ; Smith will certaining get his chances and the guy to beat for now .

Weadoption

Reaction score
I have nothing but respect for Pete Carrol, but what an exciting time looking ahead to the draft and HC possibilities. A page has been turned. A happy and sad day.
Pete built a D that was every bit as incredible as the 85 Bears, i think even more than the Super Bowl win his true legacy will by that filthy D for the ages.
Keep Geno, draft a qb and start building!

hoxrox

Reaction score
We don’t really know how John feels about Geno as the QB. Is John the one who advocated for Drew Lock in the me3 trade?
We can infer based on the contract John gave to Geno. It was definitely a low risk "prove it" type of contract with easy outs. Geno was serviceable, but he didn't exactly "prove it" this year either.

New head coach and QB is definitely going to be John's biggest moves to date. Does he go offensive minded coach? Is he keeping Geno? Interesting times ahead.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Please just follow the “draft a good QB on a rookie deal and build around him“ plan and start it THIS draft.

Trying to go 9-8 with Geno again isn’t the goal. It’s a 2-3 year plan that does not include Geno. Also a keasley suggests Geno could run a more complicated offense. I see no evidence of that.

I expect a poor season. I hope for a season of playing young talented players in a new system Including a new QB. Keeping Geno and NOT drafting a high level QB will cause me to question JS and/or the new coach immediately. Other than that I will not bitch and moan for a couple years about hiring a new coach though I am sure I will question some specific decisions.

morgulon1

Reaction score
This is off topic but very related to OP.

Seattle is going anywhere until they truly and honestly address the offensive line.
A QBOTF could be psychologically scarred for life playing behind those guys.

My gut feeling is that a new DC could improve that group without any personnel change. Although I hope they do switch out some people.

Does anyone know how much if their cap will be tied up In :

Jamal Adams
Quandre Diggs
Tyler Lockett
DK Metcalf

I struggled in math in my youth but I'm estimating 80MM ?

That's without trying to resign Leonard Williams.