Is Geno Done?

Raifers

Reaction score
No one is saying that we should not draft our QBOTF. All any of us who aren't pushing the replace Geno agenda have been saying is he is not nearly as bad as the QB gurus that spam this forum for a replacement say he is.
I’m not saying Geno needs to be replaced. But I am saying that you can probably find a similar replacement without having a statistically significant drop off at a lot lower cap hit.

Also just watching the eagles game, the overall game went about the same as many of our games with geno. Not saying that drew was better or worse at doing certain things, but it just felt like with either QB in, that’s how the game would have went. Now would drew have choked in some of the games geno led us back in at the end? We will never really know, but he showed that he is capable of delivering.

WarHawks

Reaction score
^This. Geno is a great guy. I like the dude. But he's not the right fit for the Hawks long term, for a myriad of reasons. Just like with Pete, it's time to move on. There any number of qb's who can relace Geno's production at lower cost. The new coach will probably agree, although he may not. Time will tell.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
The new coach sure would like a little cap space to work with. Can't get much of that giving up Lock. If he gets a better offer elsewhere with a promise to play we will lose him. I would give him a raise and let him know he is gonna play, gain the Geno cap space and call it a day after we draft a QB to go with lots of competition for space on the lines.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
The new coach sure would like a little cap space to work with. Can't get much of that giving up Lock. If he gets a better offer elsewhere with a promise to play we will lose him. I would give him a raise and let him know he is gonna play, gain the Geno cap space and call it a day after we draft a QB to go with lots of competition for space on the lines.
I don't understand this plan to be honest. Why keep Drew? And give him a raise to do it?

Let me be perfectly clear here since the heroics at the end of the Eagles game seem to have confused people: Drew did not perform anywhere close to Geno's level this year. At all. He's a project.

Yes, the Eagles game 'felt' like a lot of Seahawks games this year but the Eagles were one of the worst passing defenses we faced all season and he underperformed in basically every single metric of what the Eagles typically give up. When Geno faced similar defenses (Arizona, Detroit, Washington) he outperformed the average passer rating in 3 of 4 of those games and was good for 2 TDs in every single one.

When Geno came in for Russ in 2021, he underperformed in some areas (QBR, ANY/A, Sack Rate), performed basically the same in some (Passer Rating, Success Rate), and outperformed him in others (Completion Percentage). Drew Lock underperformed Geno in every single one of those metrics.

Drew as a backup was outperformed by Nick Mullens and Mason Rudolph who made significantly less than Drew did this year. Why are we paying him more next year?

Drew is a project. He has the ability to get better, sure but if we're drafting a QB to be our QBOTF, why are we keeping him?

If we're tanking or giving up on the year, we clear out our entire QB room.

If we want to stay competitive and have our QBOTF sit behind someone he can really learn from, we keep/restructure Geno. (Geno had somewhere between the 11th and 15th best QB performance this year and his cap hit for next year right now is projected to be 12th highest, so essentially right in line with the value of his play).

Keeping Lock is basically the worst of both worlds.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
If they're not going to try to deliberately tank for top 3 pick (and they're definitely not), I prefer Geno as a placeholder + hope and a prayer he goes full Alex Smith QB. He was average in a down-ish year with poor o-line play and offensive game planning. There's some reason for optimism with him even if that optimism really needs a ceiling on it.