Is Geno Done?

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Sadly if the team is doing it RIGHT...it's a complete rebuild that shows in 2025-2026 but really excels in 2026-2027. Dropping Geno, building the lines inside out....drafting QBOTF as others have stated, cheaper veteran bridge. The good thing about the above is the Niners window should be closing after paying Purdy and their other stars have already hit their peak at the same time.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Agree with most of this, but I don't think JS is on any short leash.

John is a great GM and will be given authority to take what Pete built and extract the max from its potential.

And I don't know why a new coach would come in and want to get rid of Geno for the sake of 'starting fresh'. It's not as though Geno cant run a more sophisticated offense. So unless the new coach want a Lamar Jackson type, I'm sure he'll be seen as a 'plus' in the equation in that the new staff will know that they can rely on top 10 to 12 qb play from the position in the short term while they strategically shore up other areas of the team.

I dont see a bona-fide franchise guy that can come in this year and play better than what Geno has.

Now, if the new coach looks at someone like Cousins and is enamored with him and prefers his skillset over Geno's, I could see that. But to toss him to the side as if there's something about who or what he is that no longer works because Pete isn't here... I don't see that.

As a matter of fact, I'd say that an offensive minded coach or the new OC might look at Geno and see the potential to get more from him in a system that was a bit more sophisticated.
well said. before the pete firing, I thought we should QBOTF and let him percolate under the geno/lock combo for a season or two -

WarHawks

Reaction score
Keeping him would be counterproductive. Any rookie could replace his 1 td per game level of performance at far less cost, and hopefully have a higher long term ceiling. It really makes zero sense to keep him at this point.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Keeping him would be counterproductive. Any rookie could replace his 1 td per game level of performance at far less cost, and hopefully have a higher long term ceiling. It really makes zero sense to keep him at this point.
Starting a rookie comes with its whole set of pitfalls.

I'd rather see the team release Geno, and sign Locke to a one-year "prove it" contract... and draft a rookie QB but let him sit for a year.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Most of this board has a serious, stats and logic defying, anti Geno bias.

There's no reason to let go this great bridge QB! Give him the line he needs and he will be productive! Plus he's an ideal guy to help ease our newly drafted rookie into competing for the starter job. Geno can ball and is definitely affordable and willing to be a team guy and mentor our up and comer.

It's just stupid the hate the guy gets. I'm all in favor of finding the next guy in the draft, but it's silly the lack of faith in a guy who is NOT the reason we've not succeeded.

Jville

Reaction score
Geno is under contract.

What comes next is interviews followed by selection of the next Head Coach.

sutz

Reaction score
Geno is under contract. I doubt anything happens with him until the new coach is hired. Hell, discussing Geno's status should (obviously, at least to me) be part of the negotiations with the new head guy. It's not like Geno is slated to make top 5 QB money or something. Don't know the actual numbers, but I don't think he made many of his incentives to pump up his deal.

Which says to me they want the new guy in before Geno's auto extension kicks in as well. ;)

renofox

Reaction score
If Pete goes to Atlanta, Geno may follow, and Geno would be an upgrade over whatever Falcons have in QB.
Great point. I never considered Geno wanting to follow PC.

That makes for a tough decision. They can only trade him between 3/13 and 3/16 to avoid the $9M+ roster bonus - will PC and his new team want him? Will the Seahawks new HC want him to be starting QB 2024? If not, maybe keep him to gamble on getting draft picks from PCs next possible team?

One of many tough decisions facing J&J.

edit to add; It may be moot. Maybe PC is looking forward to a reunion with RW?

Last edited:

Jville

Reaction score
If Pete goes to Atlanta, Geno may follow, and Geno would be an upgrade over whatever Falcons have in QB.

If your into recreational speculation, consider the combo of Geno and Noah Fant going to Atlanta or elsewhere? They have a productive history together.

Might be getting ahead of ourselves though. Both Geno and probably Pete are under contract for 2024 and Fant doesn't become a free agent until the new season officially begins.

toffee

Reaction score
Great point. I never considered Geno wanting to follow PC.

That makes for a tough decision. They can only trade him between 3/13 and 3/16 to avoid the $9M+ roster bonus - will PC and his new team want him? Will the Seahawks new HC want him to be starting QB 2024? If not, maybe keep him to gamble on getting draft picks from PCs next possible team?

One of many tough decisions facing J&J.
If Pete goes to Atlanta, he will need a new QB, Geno may be his choice, but Wilson will be way cheaper at vet minimum.

renofox

Reaction score
Geno is under contract. I doubt anything happens with him until the new coach is hired. Hell, discussing Geno's status should (obviously, at least to me) be part of the negotiations with the new head guy. It's not like Geno is slated to make top 5 QB money or something. Don't know the actual numbers, but I don't think he made many of his incentives to pump up his deal.

Which says to me they want the new guy in before Geno's auto extension kicks in as well. ;)
They have til 3/16 to release him without paying the $9.6M bonus. He did not meet any of his escalators so his salary is $12.7M (total $22.3M).

If the HC and OC have not been hired and reached a consensus with J&J by 3/16, the Seahawks are toast anyway until JS is removed for incompetence.

I think Geno stays. He improved throughout the season (holding the ball and deer-in-headlights were almost non-existent as the season progressed).

You can't get a QB anywhere near his level for 22.3, and almost all drafted QBs need to sit and learn for at least half of a season. Saving a few million is not worth setting the team on a likely losing path to start the season. Geno can win some games with a small amount of help.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

We discussed this before the Pete firing. Geno ended the 2023 season graded by PFF as the #12 or #13 rated QB in the league.

So these salaries fall pretty close in line with how that slots with the starting QB salaries.

But IMO none of this matters. What matters is who the new coach is, and what direction he wants to go in the draft and moving forward. Maybe he wants to keep Geno, and maybe he won't depending on the draft and free agents, etc.

People just saying Geno's gone just because Pete's gone don't know that. No one does.

renofox

Reaction score
That is cap hit which includes dead money already paid (1st year salary paid as bonus). The dead money is hitting the cap whether he is released, traded, or retained.

The actual cost of keeping Geno (and the actual cap savings from releasing him) is 22.3M for 2024 and 24.8M for 2025 (which may increase as he may still earn escalators in 2024 which would apply to 2025 salary).

Salmonkiller

Reaction score
Agree with most of this, but I don't think JS is on any short leash.

John is a great GM and will be given authority to take what Pete built and extract the max from its potential.

And I don't know why a new coach would come in and want to get rid of Geno for the sake of 'starting fresh'. It's not as though Geno cant run a more sophisticated offense. So unless the new coach want a Lamar Jackson type, I'm sure he'll be seen as a 'plus' in the equation in that the new staff will know that they can rely on top 10 to 12 qb play from the position in the short term while they strategically shore up other areas of the team.

I dont see a bona-fide franchise guy that can come in this year and play better than what Geno has.

Now, if the new coach looks at someone like Cousins and is enamored with him and prefers his skillset over Geno's, I could see that. But to toss him to the side as if there's something about who or what he is that no longer works because Pete isn't here... I don't see that.

As a matter of fact, I'd say that an offensive minded coach or the new OC might look at Geno and see the potential to get more from him in a system that was a bit more sophisticated.
JS has never REALLY been the GM. You need to start there and understand that PC hired JS and has always made all personnel decisions. If JS survives this, this will be the first time that JS will make decisions on his own with the HAWKS...

keasley45

Reaction score
JS has never REALLY been the GM. You need to start there and understand that PC hired JS and has always made all personnel decisions. If JS survives this, this will be the first time that JS will make decisions on his own with the HAWKS...
I understand that JS now has final say. But it's not as though he was Pete's secretary. He's been right about quite a few things - drafting Russ / letting him go...Trying to get younger and more aggressive. Talent evaluation, etc. I don't think he's green behind the ears in any way

And the relationship they had put them at the wheel together, having to go through the process together.

I think he will do well.