Is Geno Done?

Salmonkiller

Reaction score
How do you know that JS made any of those decisions? Just asking for clarity... Pete even mentioned that "now" JS will be able stand on his own, or some such thing...

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I hope not, man. Geno's numbers, in context, are not as bad as they look. The rushing numbers are much less defensible overall. Defense as well.

Geno can win. He wins over half of 'em with no run game and no defense. I see nothing at all indicating that he wouldn't win more with more support from the rest of the team.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
JS has never REALLY been the GM. You need to start there and understand that PC hired JS and has always made all personnel decisions. If JS survives this, this will be the first time that JS will make decisions on his own with the HAWKS...
Why in the name of the lord would John not have just left to be a real GM? He had a bunch of offers and the Lions would've given us draft capital in a trade for him at one point.

The man wasn't just sitting there as a lackey for 14 years.

Salmonkiller

Reaction score
Why in the name of the lord would John not have just left to be a real GM? He had a bunch of offers and the Lions would've given us draft capital in a trade for him at one point.

The man wasn't just sitting there as a lackey for 14 years.
Because he was hired by the guy he takes orders from. PC only took this job if he had final say over ALL decisions. Go back and look it up. JS took his orders from PC. I"ll bet that he never left because he was getting paid...

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Because he was hired by the guy he takes orders from. PC only took this job if he had final say over ALL decisions. Go back and look it up. JS took his orders from PC. I"ll bet that he never left because he was getting paid...
I'm not contesting the organizational structure, but it isn't a realistic take to say that JS wasn't afforded significant latitude in his process

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Weird takes on this board. Geno is a good value so why dump him? Starting a rookie QB with a Rookie HC is a good way to stay in the doldrums forever. Give the new guy a veteran to work with and the rookie QB a chance to learn.

Remember JS is a Green Bay guy and they’ve been training up QBs under aging veterans forever and successfully.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Weird takes on this board. Geno is a good value so why dump him? Starting a rookie QB with a Rookie HC is a good way to stay in the doldrums forever. Give the new guy a veteran to work with and the rookie QB a chance to learn.

Remember JS is a Green Bay guy and they’ve been training up QBs under aging veterans forever and successfully.
Hmmm training under Rodgers and Favre . . . Or training under Geno Smith? Seems a pretty big difference to me. “Hey rookie here is how to be mediocre!”

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Geno is a lot better than mediocre, and we need someone even if we draft a guy. We'd have to sign lock if we went that way, and he's not gonna be a significant savings compared to Geno, considering Geno is a better QB.

Give Geno a better line and better running game and he's easily in the top ten statistically.

Also, as has been said, you don't have to be the best to be a good mentor. Geno is a better team guy than most. I think he'd be a fine mentor to a draftee.

nwHawk

Reaction score

Is JS going to sit a rookie QB for 3 or 4 year to get practice and game tape reps?

If so, wouldn’t Lock’s age and contract fit better? I’m not saying Lock is the QBOTF, but I really don’t think Geno is.

Edit to say, must draft a QB this year.

James in PA

Reaction score
The only way I'm down for keeping Geno is as a very short term bridge quarterback, while we wait for a rookie to develop. The thing with Geno is that he's not going to take you where you ultimately want to go so it's best not to prolong it.

NoGain

Reaction score
Geno isn't the principle problem of this team. Not by a long shot. It's hard to imagine who would replace him next year that would have the potential to be an immediate upgrade. Who? Kirk Cousins? Perhaps, but how to ever make that finacially feasible? Ryan Tannehill? Sam Darnold? Some mid first round or later QB we take in the draft?

Realistically speaking, it's not like there's many obvious and feasible choices that come to mind.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
Geno was never viewed as the future moreover as the bridge. Contract showed that. But more with whomever comes in creates more turmoil with new scheme and direction. We all knew that Pete with his age would be exciting/transitioning in the near future but just like the abruptness stunned us it also hit the roster the same. This move has the chance to cause a ripple that could turn out catastrophic.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
It will take Geno another 5years to learn a new offense.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
Highlighting Geno not being the franchise QB all while structured as that of being the transitional piece. He was never seen in that light and was actually lesser paid in regards to production. Been plan entire time. People want to harp on Geno for us not making post season while ignoring the glaring factor we couldn’t stop a nose bleed let alone a run or screen game defensively.

12forlife

Reaction score
I hope not, man. Geno's numbers, in context, are not as bad as they look. The rushing numbers are much less defensible overall. Defense as well.

Geno can win. He wins over half of 'em with no run game and no defense. I see nothing at all indicating that he wouldn't win more with more support from the rest of the team.
Besides he is an average decision maker? RARELY makes plays off script, to help extends drives. Look back through the games to many times of 6-8 drives in a row resulting in nothing but punts and turnovers. Besides the point he is the worst QB in our own division, not the NFC, our division! You have to be honest with yourself, The Hawk world demands better! Think about this, people are saying oohhh he had 7 game winning drives. Well we only won 9 games so we only had 2 of 17 games in hand. Yes the Oline had health issues, and run D was bad the last half, but Geno is still a large part to us trailing most every game. No excuse with weapons he has available. Forcing it to DK at times while JSN roams wide open.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Besides he is an average decision maker? RARELY makes plays off script, to help extends drives. Look back through the games to many times of 6-8 drives in a row resulting in nothing but punts and turnovers. Besides the point he is the worst QB in our own division, not the NFC, our division! You have to be honest with yourself, The Hawk world demands better! Think about this, people are saying oohhh he had 7 game winning drives. Well we only won 9 games so we only had 2 of 17 games in hand. Yes the Oline had health issues, and run D was bad the last half, but Geno is still a large part to us trailing most every game. No excuse with weapons he has available. Forcing it to DK at times while JSN roams wide open.
Your clouded perception is far different than reality...