Interesting RW quote

sc85sis

Reaction score
Whatever he meant by it, it wasn't a very smart comment to make considering how it easily could be taken. That's surprising considering how calculated Russ usually is with his comments.

toffee

Reaction score
Whatever he meant by it, it wasn't a very smart comment to make considering how it easily could be taken. That's surprising considering how calculated Russ usually is with his comments.
It's like Wilson was good at protecting the ball, but he had some 4 or 5 INTs games.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
This is my thought as well. It's a lot like Hillary's "deplorables" comment. Regardless of the fact that she was speaking specifically of actual deplorable people like David Duke and other Neo-Nazis, it was easily clipped in it's meaning and used as a rallying cry for a large segment of a cult's fanbase rather than to apply to specific kinds of people that most would agree are blights on society. Russ should know better than to make a comment like that and expect it to be applied narrowly, which leads to: I don't think it was an innocent mistake. I think he meant it as a double entendre for his final few seasons in Seattle. The last two seasons we hade one of, if not the word defenses in the league in the early season and it didn't exactly stand out in the latter half of either season. Regardless of whether the hole we are in in a game is a by-product of Russ' deficiencies in the first place, it's hard not to admit that he pulled 3-4 wins out of his ass every season as the D continued to sink.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I missed what he tweeted, and the tweet has since been deleted.

What did he say?

keasley45

Reaction score
There is a lot of anger from some posters here. Seems pretty over the top to me. Some here want to see it one way, and one way only. that is your prerogative. Scutterhawk I never claimed or thought Russ carried them to the super bowl all by his lonesome(they wouldn't have made it without him either) and quite frankly that wasn't what Russ said. HE IS TALKING ABOUT THE CURRENT STATE OF THE TEAM and he isn't wrong. These last few years the D and O were not great outside of Russ. If we had had Geno leading us we would not have been making the playoffs guaranteed.

You can't be the only 'elite' QB in the league to have your ability to read defenses questioned and then claim you carried your team. If I'm lying, who else is questioned the way he is? Eli Manning?

You can't be the only 'elite' QB to rank consistently in the mid to lower mid (and worse) half of the league in passing 3rd down conversions and claim you carried your team. Not opinion. FACT

You can't be the only 'elite' QB to have a league wide game plan to beat you running on 3 straight years and struggle to defeat it... and claim you carried your team. Everyone in the league knows how to beat him, and when a team has a good defense, they do.

You can't be KNOWN for not being able to exploit certain coverages or hit certain areas of the field consistently and claim you carried your team. Statistical fact.

Your offense can't have rated near last in the league in average number of plays run per drive ( when you were pass happy and had two of the best wr threats in the game),
And claim you carries your team. We finished last last year and weren't great the season he set all of his records.

And you sure can't be the only 'elite' Qb to not have won a championship without an elite running game and elite defense... and claim you carried your team. Fact

Russ, by the nature of his play, his talent, preferences, and shortcomings played the position in a way that was unique to him, and thus created a reality where only he could run the plays the way he did. So in that sense, he was correct. When he went 'Full Russ', the playbook went out the window and he worked his own particularly kind of magic.

But he abandoned plays he didn't have to because HE often chose to, because of what he couldn't do, or didn't want to do.

The offense itself stopped running certain calls because HE wasn't adept at pulling them off.

It takes some major hubris to make statement like that with the amount of improvisation that was required for him to run the offense.

The truth is, he was incredible at playing HIS game, and struggled mightily at times playing THE game.

And the benefit he has is that the plays that failed that were no-fault of his and the ones that worked, but he couldn't execute and bailed on... many of them ended the same way. With a highlight play.

But his statement completely glosses over the many basic plays that he left on the table, the unnecessary sacks, 3rd and longs, and comebacks that are muddled in with the miraculous plays. And most importantly, the failures in the playoffs when his bag of tricks were no longer effective against defenses who could take away the plays he flourished within.

Russ has created and completely bought into a persona that I don't even think he can unsee anymore. It's not Ciara's fault. It's not Pete's fault (although him never checking Russ just fed the beast). This monster has been in the making since the LOB days if you think back on all the rumblings that came out of the lockeroom , even when we were still successful.

Russ has gone full dark side.

Footnote: I'm wrong. Russ can actually claim whatever he wants. His claiming it just doesn't make it true. And his claiming also makes him look like a huge Donkey D. And at a certain point, perception becomes reality. Especially when you consciously drive it.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
It's like Wilson was good at protecting the ball, but he had some 4 or 5 INTs games.
Did he? I only see 2 games where he had thrown 4 or 5 INTs in his career. Both against GB (one in the regular season and the other - the NFC Championship game).

He may have not met expectations of some regarding his play but he wasn't a turnover machine in the slightest (from INT perspective). His completion pct was at 70% prior to his injury last season and he had a TD:INT ratio of 10:1 at that time.

Last edited:

toffee

Reaction score
Did he? I only see 2 games where he had thrown 4 or 5 INTs in his career. Both against GB (one in the regular season and the other - the NFC Championship game).

He may have not met expectations of some regarding his play but he wasn't a turnover machine in the slightest (from INT perspective). His completion pct was at 70% prior to his injury last season and he had a TD:INT ratio of 10:1 at that time.
Exactly, Wilson was good at protecting the ball, but he had those multiple INT games. As 12s, we are sending the right chi for him to have one of his 4INT game at our season opener.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not to go John on you, but in that NFC Championship, butterfingers Kearse contributed to at least a couple of those picks. And he pulled out the game anyway. And in what world was Russ ever a "4 or 5 interception" guy?
Come on. 261 Touchdowns, only 82 interceptions. That's among the best of all time for TD to INT ratio. OVER 3 to 1
Glad he's gone, but my goodness. Literally just making stuff up. Meh, on to 2022. With the guys that are ON THE TEAM.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
You can't be the only 'elite' QB in the league to have your ability to read defenses questioned and then claim you carried your team. If I'm lying, who else is questioned the way he is? Eli Manning?

You can't be the only 'elite' QB to rank consistently in the mid to lower mid (and worse) half of the league in passing 3rd down conversions and claim you carried your team. Not opinion. FACT

You can't be the only 'elite' QB to have a league wide game plan to beat you running on 3 straight years and struggle to defeat it... and claim you carried your team. Everyone in the league knows how to beat him, and when a team has a good defense, they do.

You can't be KNOWN for not being able to exploit certain coverages or hit certain areas of the field consistently and claim you carried your team. Statistical fact.

Your offense can't have rated near last in the league in average number of plays run per drive ( when you were pass happy and had two of the best wr threats in the game),
And claim you carries your team. We finished last last year and weren't great the season he set all of his records.

And you sure can't be the only 'elite' Qb to not have won a championship without an elite running game and elite defense... and claim you carried your team. Fact

Russ, by the nature of his play, his talent, preferences, and shortcomings played the position in a way that was unique to him, and thus created a reality where only he could run the plays the way he did. So in that sense, he was correct. When he went 'Full Russ', the playbook went out the window and he worked his own particularly kind of magic.

But he abandoned plays he didn't have to because HE often chose to, because of what he couldn't do, or didn't want to do.

The offense itself stopped running certain calls because HE wasn't adept at pulling them off.

It takes some major hubris to make statement like that with the amount of improvisation that was required for him to run the offense.

The truth is, he was incredible at playing HIS game, and struggled mightily at times playing THE game.

And the benefit he has is that the plays that failed that were no-fault of his and the ones that worked, but he couldn't execute and bailed on... many of them ended the same way. With a highlight play.

But his statement completely glosses over the many basic plays that he left on the table, the unnecessary sacks, 3rd and longs, and comebacks that are muddled in with the miraculous plays. And most importantly, the failures in the playoffs when his bag of tricks were no longer effective against defenses who could take away the plays he flourished within.

Russ has created and completely bought into a persona that I don't even think he can unsee anymore. It's not Ciara's fault. It's not Pete's fault (although him never checking Russ just fed the beast). This monster has been in the making since the LOB days if you think back on all the rumblings that came out of the lockeroom , even when we were still successful.

Russ has gone full dark side.

Footnote: I'm wrong. Russ can actually claim whatever he wants. His claiming it just doesn't make it true. And his claiming also makes him look like a huge Donkey D. And at a certain point, perception becomes reality. Especially when you consciously drive it.
I would say this is about the very best characterization of Russ that i have ever read. Great job Keasley

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I'm not understanding what part of "Got tired of carrying the team" some above
don't understand?
It was a statement directed at the Hawks team and the fans.
Denver fans better be worrying when their $50+million QB(soon)
thinks he doesn't have to do the work that got him where he is
anymore.
Oh I suppose being a Coach Wilson is more work now? :rolleyes:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
don't understand?
anymore.
He's not the first former Seahawk player to be bitter (if he is indeed bitter) and he won't be the last.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/49ers/article/49ers-Richard-Sherman-sounds-off-on-Seahawks-13432454.php.

Considering that Sherman has a bias against RW, what his opinions are on RW should be taken with grain of salt. I like Richard Sherman (on field version). The off-field version doesn't seem to have matured much.

hoxrox

Reaction score

But he was a turnover machine over that four-game stretch. Fumbles recovered by the other team counts as a turnover. Not just picks.

And then he was 11 for 27 passing in that Rams playoff loss. That's not exactly "carrying" a team.

IMO, Russell's comments were an attempt to rewrite history here. Brand protection mode in effect.

Russell's version of events: "I was the hero in Seattle." The reality: He was until he wasn't. He burnt the meals when afforded the full opportunity to cook.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It cracks me up how obsessed people are with him still. I suspect people will still be obsessing over him in 2027.
Get over it, geezus. He's gone, he wanted to be gone. And hopefully he loses a LOT of games in 2022.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
But he was a turnover machine over that four-game stretch. Fumbles recovered by the other team counts as a turnover. Not just picks.

View attachment 54227

And then he was 11 for 27 passing in that Rams playoff loss. That's not exactly "carrying" a team.

IMO, Russell's comments were an attempt to rewrite history here. Brand protection mode in effect.

Russell's version of events: "I was the hero in Seattle." The reality: He was until he wasn't. He burnt the meals when afforded the full opportunity to cook.
The comment was made that he had some games with 4 or 5 INTs. He had a couple. The discussion was on INTs not fumbles.

Now that you bring in other aspects. How about the games where he's thrown for 4 or more TDs over his career? I bet those have been more than just a couple.

Last edited:

Lagartixa

Reaction score
don't understand?
anymore.

I still really dislike the Broncos and The Teeth from the Seahawks' days in the AFC West (I still dislike the Raiders too, but we're talking about the Broncos), so I would very much like to see the Broncos give Wilson a huge extension with a gigantic amount fully guaranteed at signing, and with a top-of-the-market annual average (the $50M+ a bunch of people around here on .NET keep mentioning).
The problem is that I think the Broncos' new ownership is too business-smart to give Wilson that kind of extension before seeing how the team performs with him, when he's still under contract for two more seasons at a relatively reasonable price, and in a way that keeps the risk low if he doesn't perform as they hope he will. What I mean by this is that the remaining salary and roster bonuses on Wilson's contract are not guaranteed. Wilson is a vested veteran, so the Broncos are on the hook for Wilson's full 2022 salary as soon as the Broncos' season starts and Wilson is on their roster, but none of his 2023 money will be guaranteed until the 2023 season starts. And even fully guaranteed, Wilson's annual compensation for 2022 and 2023 is still just Garoppolo money, about half of what top-of-the-market QBs are costing per year these days. There's just no good reason for the Broncos to give Wilson an extension now without first seeing how well the team does with him playing QB for them.

I think the Broncos will wait at least until the midpoint of the 2022 season to see how things go with Wilson. If it's as great as some of the Wilson fans around here think it'll be, he'll get the monster extension I described above. If it's not, well, then things get kinda interesting for the Broncos.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Russ and Pete..

Are not straight shooters.....
Nope^ The Detriment to Pete came when he came to Russ's defense when Sherman & a few other players on the team complained of special treatment and lack of holding him accountable for his mess-ups, but I think what's more ridiculous? a THANKLESS Russell Wilson not acknowledging what Pete was doing FOR HIM.
Pete KNEW all of Wilson's limitations, he also knew that he could still win with those limitations, by maybe finding the right fit @ OC, and thus the 'Revolving Door'.
Absurdity is ->Some FANS actually BELIEVING that Pete didn't do everything in his power to HELP WILSON TO BE HIS BEST, and worse, he even WENT OUT OF HIS WAY TO HINDER WILSONS GROWTH...This would be comical if it weren't so RIDICULOUS.