I wonder how Pete's removal will impact John Schneider.

Seahawker

Reaction score
John's contract runs through the 2027 nfl draft, if I'm not mistaken
They should impress upon him, NO more big $ trades involving high draft picks.
Please bring in 2-3 solid offensive lineman and address our DT, LBer and the safety situation this offseason.
Let's hope JS will quickly develop a good working relationship on the fly with the new coach. I hope John gets a chance to have sole control over front office decisions at least until he makes some poor choices. Maybe he can find our franchise QB of the future, this offseason will be interesting.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Please bring in 2-3 solid offensive lineman and address our DT, LBer and the safety situation this offseason.
Let's hope JS will quickly develop a good working relationship on the fly with the new coach. I hope John gets a chance to have sole control over front office decisions at least until he makes some poor choices. Maybe he can find our franchise QB of the future, this offseason will be interesting.
As the GM, he should now already have sole control over front office decisions going forward.

Mad Dog

Reaction score

Are you trying to say that the owners and fans know what the team needs more than it’s GM?

Why should they impress any football acumen on Schneider. Let him run things his way and fire him if it fails.

James in PA

Reaction score
It sounds like John got a promotion (i.e. final say in personnel). If Harbaugh were to come here, John would have to relinquish that right and that's assuming Harbaugh would want John as his main personnel guy instead of bringing in his own.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
The huge trades are ones the organization made. JS's own trades are lots of trade-downs to pick up draft capital and extra players--which he is a genius at.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I have a feeling JS is and has been the brains behind personnel and may have fought tooth and nail, and likely was vetoed, on quite a few moves.

Mostly speculation but, if he’s staying, it’s a good indication that it’s partially true.
I feel the same way. The stupid trading away of 1st round picks and good players (Max Unger) seemed like "Pete Hormonal moves" to me. I also believe Pete allowed position coaches to over rule John and pick the guys they wanted. That's how we ended up with players like James Carpenter and Dee Eskeridge.

And the phenomenal drafts we've had the past 2 years, my money's on Schneider making those decisions.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think Pete is going to be involved in player evals, once a new coach is hired you start looking for guys that fit his system, John seems to have a knack on the offensive side, Pete isn't bad he has found a few guys there also Carson was a hand picked guy by him, but on defense Pete shines. They have a great system and work well together in that aspect.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
From the press conference and the way Pete talked about John, it was pretty clear to me that to this point Pete was the guy in charge and that will be John going forward. I am excited to see what kind of moves John makes with final say. Not saying it will be better, but going to be different.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I feel the same way. The stupid trading away of 1st round picks and good players (Max Unger) seemed like "Pete Hormonal moves" to me. I also believe Pete allowed position coaches to over rule John and pick the guys they wanted. That's how we ended up with players like James Carpenter and Dee Eskeridge.

And the phenomenal drafts we've had the past 2 years, my money's on Schneider making those decisions.
This is spot on and it’s been leaked that exactly what you think happened actually happened. After today it’s pretty obvious Pete has a massive role in roster construction after Pete said “John finally gets his chance”

mistaowen

Reaction score
Pete's press conference made it clear John is staying and will be the head guy in the organization for the first time. NFL talking heads said he's been in the background looking at potential coaches for the past 1-2 months in case this were to happen and will be leading the head coaching search. Given his full control now, it is very unlikely someone like Harbaugh would be a genuine candidate - I'm 99% sure he will want the same deal Pete got coming from USC.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I have a feeling JS is and has been the brains behind personnel and may have fought tooth and nail, and likely was vetoed, on quite a few moves.

Mostly speculation but, if he’s staying, it’s a good indication that it’s partially true.
I think he would've simply left if the veto stuff was that prominent. Not like he hasn't had offers.

It takes a pretty cushy gig to stay as the technical number 2, despite being coveted league wide, for 14 years under the same dude.

I think this was more his show, personnel and draft wise, than most would like to admit. Obviously it was collaborative, but I don't think he stuck around here as a mere lackey.

GemCity

Reaction score
I think he would've simply left if the veto stuff was that prominent. Not like he hasn't had offers.

It takes a pretty cushy gig to stay as the technical number 2, despite being coveted league wide, for 14 years under the same dude.

I think this was more his show, personnel and draft wise, than most would like to admit. Obviously it was collaborative, but I don't think he stuck around here as a mere lackey.
I don’t think he was a mere lackey. But, PC as Head Coach and Executive VP certainly had more sway over personnel decisions and even alluded to as such in his farewell presser.

I also don’t believe it’s been a cushy gig. I believe JS was ready to pay his dues….was /is loyal…and knew the day would come where a lot of weight would be on his shoulders.

I believe we’re in much better hands now when it comes to personnel and moves.

Much better.

Hawkboi

Reaction score
I think we're going to get a Head Coach that surprises everyone... Thinking outside the Box is not bringing in the obvious replacement for Pete. A NFL Head Coach with experience in winning and losing may not be the best choice moving forward.

Mick063

Reaction score
The huge whiff on Jamaal Adams robbed cap money, draft picks, and a couple wins per year. In other words, Pete's job.

JS is now solely culpable for disaster trades like that.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
If Harbaugh wants full control, then let him have it. Tell John to either deal with it or go somewhere else.Why should we be loyal to John? We should be loyal to the fans and winning.

Do we even know if Harbaugh would demand such control? I know he didn't get along with York and Baalke. Maybe he gets along with John and is happy with just having a GM that actually values his input?

With that said, I don't see them hiring Harbaugh at all. It just doesn't feel like a move they'd make. If I was owner, though, I would.

seabowl

Reaction score
I think Pete is going to be involved in player evals, once a new coach is hired you start looking for guys that fit his system, John seems to have a knack on the offensive side, Pete isn't bad he has found a few guys there also Carson was a hand picked guy by him, but on defense Pete shines. They have a great system and work well together in that aspect.
Petes not staying.