How to resurrect Wilson's career?

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
None of the teams those guys play for have the type of investment in them that the Broncos have in Wilson. They can be moved, cut, traded, etc. That's not the case with Russell. For better or worse, the Broncos are stuck with him, and since they can't move him, they need to do everything they can to get him right, if that's possible. I don't see what good benching will do him. He needs to be on the field working out whatever it is that's hindering him.

The Broncos have painted themselves into a corner. Their only option is to play him and hope for the best. Their season is already lost.
You can only do that for so long before the rest of the team says F it no matter how much invested you are in 1 player

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
It is an incredible disappointment that Rcaido, Fade or Pitt have not posted in this thread. They are the champions of Me3 at this point. Surely their insights have to be the most important on how to resurrect Me3's career.

As far as my insight, the team can do nothing to help Wilson. He needs to figure this out. It is his own mind that is creating the problems.
That's easy. To them no resurrection is needed. He's playing fine it's just everyone else around him ruining his legacy

RiverDog

Reaction score
You can only do that for so long before the rest of the team says F it no matter how much invested you are in 1 player
Yeah, that's part of the problem that the Broncos have created for themselves. They're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

But at this point, I don't see any other viable choice. They have to ride this thing out, hope that Russell can get it turned around, and try to rationalize their decision the best they can with the other players on the team and hope that they'll understand.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, that's part of the problem that the Broncos have created for themselves. They're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

But at this point, I don't see any other viable choice. They have to ride this thing out, hope that Russell can get it turned around, and try to rationalize their decision the best they can with the other players on the team and hope that they'll understand.

The least viable choice is the Path that the dinks are on.

Neither Hackett nor the fo would have anything to lose by benching Russ for these next two. Hell, the official Bronco twitter promo featured Lamar and a random lb. They’re ALREADY trying to hide him.

It would be the IDEAL training for Russ to emulate Mahomes and Lamar. He won’t be getting sacked for real or intercepted for real, or even as Russell Wilson as his job is to copy those two.

Maybe then they peak over 20 points.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The least viable choice is the Path that the dinks are on.

Neither Hackett nor the fo would have anything to lose by benching Russ for these next two. Hell, the official Bronco twitter promo featured Lamar and a random lb. They’re ALREADY trying to hide him.

It would be the IDEAL training for Russ to emulate Mahomes and Lamar. He won’t be getting sacked for real or intercepted for real, or even as Russell Wilson as his job is to copy those two.

Maybe then they peak over 20 points.
Since the Broncos have no other option than to keep Russell as their QB for at least the next three seasons, the question becomes what action/inaction is in Russell's best interest as a player as he attempts to resurrect his career and get his magic back? Do you bench him to teach him a lesson and satisfy his critics, maybe cater to the whims and motivations of players in the locker room that might not even be there next season? Is that going to help him? Will it help the team in the long run? Will it do anything to stop all the piling on and controversy that's been swirling around him for the past 3 months that has been a major distraction to say the least? Or do you keep trotting them out there in the hope that something clicks and he actually starts playing well?

If the circumstances were different, I'd be the first to agree that you bench him. He's been playing horribly, and despite his star status, he should be benched if not outright released. But the contract and the amount of capital they've invested in him changes everything and dictates that they do whatever is necessary to rehab their franchise QB that they're married to through the 2025 season. The Broncos are screwed.

Last edited:

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Since the Broncos have no other option than to keep Russell as their QB for at least the next three seasons, the question becomes what action/inaction is in Russell's best interest as a player as he attempts to resurrect his career and get his magic back? Do you bench him to teach him a lesson and satisfy his critics, maybe cater to the whims and motivations of players in the locker room that might not even be there next season? Is that going to help him? Will it help the team in the long run? Will it do anything to stop all the piling on and controversy that's been swirling around him for the past 3 months that has been a major distraction to say the least? Or do you keep trotting them out there in the hope that something clicks and he actually starts playing well?

If the circumstances were different, I'd be the first to agree that you bench him. He's been playing horribly, and despite his star status, he should be benched if not outright released. But the contract and the amount of capital they've invested in him changes everything and dictates that they do whatever is necessary to rehab their franchise QB that they're married to through the 2025 season. The Broncos are screwed.

I feel like this is akin to the Aaron Rodgers argument. Catering to Aaron’s whims could get him hurt for real. The season is in fact lost.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I feel like this is akin to the Aaron Rodgers argument. Catering to Aaron’s whims could get him hurt for real. The season is in fact lost.
There's no question that the Broncos' season is lost, and like I said with regard to the question of benching Russell, they're damned if they do, damned if they don't. There is no good option. It's a question of life in the frying pan vs life in the fire.

keasley45

Reaction score

Marching him out on the field every week isn't making the money spent worthwhile.

At this point, sub Wilson's name out for Blaine Gabbert, Marcus Mariotta, or any other qb who has reached their ceiling in terms of their ability to 'understand' the game. That's what Wilson is - actually at this point, its unfair to Marcus to put him in the same category. Russ is not going to get better than he is at deciphering defenses.

I watched the entire Ravens game and I think Denver has already gone into 'remedial' mode on offense to try to 'save' Russ. On the day, he might have taken 3 or 4 medium to deep shots. EVERYTHING else was an outlet or check down. Why? Because he can't hit the routes that are open, when they are open. They're trying to build his confidence and give him an out whenever he has time to throw, but can't hit the play or the play isn't there. The latter is about 90% of the time.

But he's not gonna all of a sudden get it. That's painfully obvious. He never 'got it'while he was here, so its not as though theres something for him to get back to. He's physically not able to elude rushers the way he used to and honestly, in terms of his psyche... it has to be torture for his own self image to be undermined every week by what Geno is doing for us, particularly with how hard he tried to keep him on the bench last year. Geno is the mild torture that will not stop unless he starts to not play well. I don't think Russ will be able to push down the possibility that he was only ever hyper gifted but ultimately manufactured product and over his last few years in Seattle, not even the best qb on the roster. Every voice of doubt that Pete tried to save him from is screaming at him at full throat and will for seasons to come.

It's not punishment to make the guy sit. It's reality and a move that gives Wilson space to work out his issues (which i'd wager at this point are as much psychological as anything else) and reset expectations. Give the guy a chance to reset and potentially be the savior / Phoenix risen, if and when he gets back to the field.

Look what Mike White has done for the Jets offense. Yes, they lost, but the dude has done wonders for their morale and made a stagnant offense, explosive. And Zach gets to watch, reset, and reframe who he is if he gets another shot. If he can never beat White again... well then. I'm not saying Rypien can be White, but if I'm Denver, I'm making priority one finding our version of him.

Last edited:

chrispy

Reaction score
I was reading through some of the media about Prime/DSanders going to Boulder. It made me wonder how long before Team3 tries to piggyback some publicity with an appearance or some kind of presence. Don't know if Deion would even want him there? It seems like Prime's plan is to create an NIL juggernaut to attract the best players. He's going about it with social media and streaming everything and everyone all the time.

So... full circle, RCW "resurrecting" his career.... We're all assuming that career is an NFL QB. Maybe he's more interested in a social media/publicity career and he's willing to become the laughing stock of pro-football in exchange for a Kardashian-type reality show. If he's not in the weight room or the film room, he could be spending all his time with publicists prepping the brand for 2024. For example; It seems plausible to me that RCW would expect people to want to watch him eat dinner and brush his teeth and talk to his kids. If he and Ciara had their own show (or, I'm sure, a plan for their own network) would America watch more/less if he flames out of Denver? ... does he even care about winning? ...or was the new contract just seed money for his next venture and he's already turned the page?

Donn2390

Reaction score
I really do believe Russell is finished. The best thing that can happen for Russ, and especially the Donk's, is for Russ to eventually admit the truth and retire due to injuries.
Everybody sits down and works out an equitable buyout, somewhere under the guaranteed amount, Russ save some face and the Donks can take their ball and go home.
Walmart owners donate millions to questionable charities every year, they can bite the bullet and write off another screw up.
I'm not sure at what point Russ's humiliation overcomes his ego, but at some point he has to see the handwriting on the wall and hang it up. If he choses to remain just to claim his purse, he is going to only look worse and will end up on the bench. He can call Geno to learn the proper bench etiquette.

BamKam

Reaction score
Denver fans despise him, Seattle fans are thankful he is gone, and the rest of the NFL is making fun of him.

I highly doubt he comes out of this unless he takes a long hard look in the mirror and drops the ego/celebrity act and goes back to his roots of being a football player/team guy… Which I HIGHLY doubt he will do.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
IF Wilson plays at his current level this time next year, will he retire and negotiate a way out of his contract, or he will sit two years on the bench just to collect all of his $$$?

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I can't think of a solution that doesn't involved a time machine. The only the Broncos have to cling to is a new coach will "unlock" Russ next year. However, that's what was supposed to happen this year with Hackett and Russ "escaping" the system in Seattle that held him down. If the problem is that he has issues reading, hitting the middle of the field, and needs to hit off-script big throws to be successful again, there may not be a coach that can provide a solution

keasley45

Reaction score
I can't think of a solution that doesn't involved a time machine. The only the Broncos have to cling to is a new coach will "unlock" Russ next year. However, that's what was supposed to happen this year with Hackett and Russ "escaping" the system in Seattle that held him down. If the problem is that he has issues reading, hitting the middle of the field, and needs to hit off-script big throws to be successful again, there may not be a coach that can provide a solution

He's already on his 2nd playcaller in Denver - same results. He had 3 here. Only one managed to get to him for a little while before everything he 'learned' was solved.

I bet Hackett is privately thrilled that switching to Kubiak has yielded the same results with Wilson... Makes it blatantly obvious who the problem is.

Best thing he could have done if he knew the reality of his ability (he had to, unless he's just that diluted) would have been to hang em up and tickle the media's fancy by giving baseball a go for anfew years like Jordan did.

He would have cemented his legacy and if he was any good at baseball, gone down as one of the few truly gifted dual sport athletes.

But I don't know if he was really any good at baseball.. ??

RiverDog

Reaction score
Marching him out on the field every week isn't making the money spent worthwhile.

At this point, sub Wilson's name out for Blaine Gabbert, Marcus Mariotta, or any other qb who has reached their ceiling in terms of their ability to 'understand' the game. That's what Wilson is - actually at this point, its unfair to Marcus to put him in the same category. Russ is not going to get better than he is at deciphering defenses.

I watched the entire Ravens game and I think Denver has already gone into 'remedial' mode on offense to try to 'save' Russ. On the day, he might have taken 3 or 4 medium to deep shots. EVERYTHING else was an outlet or check down. Why? Because he can't hit the routes that are open, when they are open. They're trying to build his confidence and give him an out whenever he has time to throw, but can't hit the play or the play isn't there. The latter is about 90% of the time.

But he's not gonna all of a sudden get it. That's painfully obvious. He never 'got it'while he was here, so its not as though theres something for him to get back to. He's physically not able to elude rushers the way he used to and honestly, in terms of his psyche... it has to be torture for his own self image to be undermined every week by what Geno is doing for us, particularly with how hard he tried to keep him on the bench last year. Geno is the mild torture that will not stop unless he starts to not play well. I don't think Russ will be able to push down the possibility that he was only ever hyper gifted but ultimately manufactured product and over his last few years in Seattle, not even the best qb on the roster. Every voice of doubt that Pete tried to save him from is screaming at him at full throat and will for seasons to come.

It's not punishment to make the guy sit. It's reality and a move that gives Wilson space to work out his issues (which i'd wager at this point are as much psychological as anything else) and reset expectations. Give the guy a chance to reset and potentially be the savior / Phoenix risen, if and when he gets back to the field.

Look what Mike White has done for the Jets offense. Yes, they lost, but the dude has done wonders for their morale and made a stagnant offense, explosive. And Zach gets to watch, reset, and reframe who he is if he gets another shot. If he can never beat White again... well then. I'm not saying Rypien can be White, but if I'm Denver, I'm making priority one finding our version of him.
The Jets and Marc Wilson/Mike White is a bad analogy. First of all, the Jets are still very much in the hunt for the playoffs if not the division championship. The Broncos season is lost. Secondly, they didn't trade a boat load of picks and sign him to a long term, 1/4-billion-dollar contract, so benching him isn't nearly as difficult as it would be to bench a player like Russell.

You can say what you want about Russell, but he's as competitive of a player as I've ever seen. I can remember what his/our defense, who'd just got through accusing Russell for not being "black enough", said after Cam Newton wouldn't fall on a loose ball in the Super Bowl for fear of hurting himself, saying that their QB would have crawled through the hubs of hell to get that ball back.

Knowing that about Russell, how competitive he is, it's my guess that benching him wouldn't sit well with him at all, unless the object is to get him pissed off so that he demands a trade.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I still find it crazy that if you asked any seahawks fan now if they would want Wilson back they would say no. Unthinkable at the start of the season when we first learned Smith was the starter.