How to resurrect Wilson's career?

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Honestly, I want the Broncos to lose every game this year but after that I wouldn't mind seeing Wilson prove the doubters wrong next year. A top 5 pick for us this year could be a franchise changer though.

Torc

Reaction score
Honestly, I want the Broncos to lose every game this year but after that I wouldn't mind seeing Wilson prove the doubters wrong next year. A top 5 pick for us this year could be a franchise changer though.
I really do like him, but like you I want the best draft pick possible. I would like to see Pete end up in the hall of fame along with several LOB members, and the next couple of years (assuming he doesn't retire) will probably determine that. I'd like to see Russ in the HoF primarily as a Seahawk, but I think he'll have to recover from this spiral to do that. This year has raised a lot of questions about how much of the Seahawks' success was due to the QB - it could be either/or for Pete and Russ and their hall of fame chances.

Seak

Reaction score
Couldnt the Broncos just trade everyone and anyone that has some value. Might make Wilson re negotiate his contract if its obvious they wont even try to be competitive

RiverDog

Reaction score
Just a comment about potential HC's to replace Hackett, of which it seems the consensus is that he's in over his head and his relationship with Russell has been detrimental to the team's goals.

Sean Payton has said that he wants to stay in a warm weather climate, which eliminates Denver. In addition, with the amount of draft capital the Broncos traded to acquire Russell, the huge contract they signed him to that marries them for at least another 3 years, and that he appears to be regressing, Denver is not going to be a preferred destination for the top HC candidates to consider amongst the 7-8 job openings that occur each season.

Bottom line is that the Donkeys are stuck. They can fire Hackett, but an obvious upgrade is not in the cards. They'll be left with some young first time HC very similar to Hackett, say someone like Kellen Moore, that has very little credibility in the eyes of a veteran player like Russell.

Too bad the Broncos aren't in our division. They have some major problems.

Last edited:

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
They could, but why?

The immediate plan forward is beyond obvious. You sit Russ for these next two, make him run the scout team where his literal job is impersonating first Lamar and then Mahomes.

By Cardinals, Russ will legit be more prepared. Not saying Broncs Win but if held to a field goal, everyone will want him back against Rams.

RiverDog

Reaction score
They could, but why?

The immediate plan forward is beyond obvious. You sit Russ for these next two, make him run the scout team where his literal job is impersonating first Lamar and then Mahomes.

By Cardinals, Russ will legit be more prepared. Not saying Broncs Win but if held to a field goal, everyone will want him back against Rams.
You know that's not going to happen, and even if it did, it could create more problems than it solves.

Suppose that Rypien starts and plays well, ether wins or at least puts 20+ points on the board in a losing effort. The way Russell is playing, it wouldn't take much for the backup to outperform him. Now you have a quarterback controversy on your hands, yet the team is still out of the playoff hunt.

At this point in the season, it's best just to let Russell work things out himself and hope for the best. They're out of the playoff hunt anyway and no matter how well Rypien plays, he's not going to be the starter next season. Work on rehabbing Russell, find plays that work for him.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
You know that's not going to happen, and even if it did, it could create more problems than it solves.

Suppose that Rypien starts and plays well, ether wins or at least puts 20+ points on the board in a losing effort. The way Russell is playing, it wouldn't take much for the backup to outperform him. Now you have a quarterback controversy on your hands, yet the team is still out of the playoff hunt.

At this point in the season, it's best just to let Russell work things out himself and hope for the best. They're out of the playoff hunt anyway and no matter how well Rypien plays, he's not going to be the starter next season. Work on rehabbing Russell, find plays that work for him.

So what if there is a qb controversy? Fact is every other qb that’s performed at or below Russ’ level has been benched this year. Darnold, Mayfield, Davis Mills, Zach Wilson, Matt Ryan.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
So what if there is a qb controversy? Fact is every other qb that’s performed at or below Russ’ level has been benched this year. Darnold, Mayfield, Davis Mills, Zach Wilson, Matt Ryan.
Not true. Aaron Rodgers, also with a recent hand injury, has not been benched.....yet.

RiverDog

Reaction score
None of the teams those guys play for have the type of investment in them that the Broncos have in Wilson. They can be moved, cut, traded, etc. That's not the case with Russell. For better or worse, the Broncos are stuck with him, and since they can't move him, they need to do everything they can to get him right, if that's possible. I don't see what good benching will do him. He needs to be on the field working out whatever it is that's hindering him.

The Broncos have painted themselves into a corner. Their only option is to play him and hope for the best. Their season is already lost.

Last edited:

keasley45

Reaction score
The idea that you have to start him because he's making X is bizarre to me. So let the rest of the team implode for lack of faith and motivation in having to play for the emperor with no clothes?
The money is spent. That's done. Doesn't mean you have to continue to march an ineffective player out and undermine the morale of the entire team just because you paid him more than you should have. I'd be letting him sit. He's obviously not getting better week to week. That's not going to change. and at the least, the players will see that the FO and staff recognizes the issue.
Put Rypien out there and at least if you get backup performance at the position, it's because the guys a backup. Maybe the players will better rally around him than you 1/4 billion dollar train wreck.

And in the offseason you make it clear to Russ that he's gotta learn how to play the position and that if he can't, you're bringing on someone via the draft who will push him for his job. If that's not motivation enough, then he's a lost cause anyway.

Then his option is to retire and surrender his money, or forever be known as one of the biggest, if not the biggest, flop in the history of the game. His choice.

BASF

Reaction score
It is an incredible disappointment that Rcaido, Fade or Pitt have not posted in this thread. They are the champions of Me3 at this point. Surely their insights have to be the most important on how to resurrect Me3's career.

As far as my insight, the team can do nothing to help Wilson. He needs to figure this out. It is his own mind that is creating the problems.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Lots of parallels between RW and AR from the Packers.
Two veteran (ie old) QBs, each with a SB ring, each with a recent hand injury, and each with a new, lucrative contract.

Is Aaron Rodgers fixable? Of course, as is Wilson. With the caveat that the hand injuries don't permanently hamper their game. My bigger concern for both QBs, and all NFL players for that matter, is the permanent affect that CTE is having on both their game and their health.

(By the way, my impression is that Green Bay, like Seattle, have a great fan-base, whereas the Bronco fans are for the most part despicable.)

Donn2390

Reaction score
I gave up on Russ as a person some years ago, but like many of us, I was sorry to see him go as he was still a great QB?, or so I thought.
I'm as surprised as everyone at how far and how fast he has fallen. Some of his issues can be fixed with the right coach and better players around him, but many aspects of his game can't be cured. When you can't see multiple open players right in front of you and throw into coverage, or completely miss the wide open guy you are throwing to, I don't know if there is a cure for that.
Does he need an eye examination? A physiological exam, too many sacks piling up? At this point I really do believe he is finished.
If the slide continues, and I have no reason to believe that it won't, he himself will eventually have to admit the truth. That may take another season and another coach or two, but he can't be so blind that at some point the excuses need to stop.
I'm sure Walmart has a large staff of attorneys working overtime trying to find a way out of the dark hole they put themselves in.
Once Russ is willing to admit the truth to himself, he can save what face that remains, by retiring due to injury. He saves face, he donks save some bucks and everyone but the fans win.

Torc

Reaction score
Who would be crazy enough to start a young QB over an established veteran? That young kid will never outplay Matt Flynn....I mean Russell Wilson...

That's some irony right there.

Latest posts