How to resurrect Wilson's career?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Find a coach that plays to his strengths of being a complimentary piece to a team that has a good defense and a strong run game that opens up play action and Wilson's accuracy on deep balls.

Hey everyone, that sounds really familiar!!

Ozzy

Reaction score
Maybe I'm crazy but I think if not this year at some point he's going to return to being a pro bowl type player and figure this out. I hope he does personally.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Maybe I'm crazy but I think if not this year at some point he's going to return to being a pro bowl type player and figure this out. I hope he does personally.

If Wilson finds some new people to surround himself with that humble him and talk some sense into him about his limitations (again, like the coaches that tried here), then yeah he might be able to get his act together.

But I doubt it. My guess is he'll continue to burn through head coaches and coordinators and saddle the Broncos with more single digit win seasons until they can finally kick him to the curb.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
The problem with bringing in a Sean Payton and/ or a Drew Brees is that they won't be able to help Russ. He's not a finesse quarterback who can come to the line, read and dissect a defense, and draw off a complex game plan, to adjust to what the defense is showing him.

He's a game manager who needs a simple, sandlot style game plan. I don't think a finesse coach can help him much.

keasley45

Reaction score
The challenge there is that his act was already not sustainable after defenses figured him out in 20 and 21. The well was running dry. Folks like to point to how our offense was tops in the league in terms of yards, and points before he got injured but the wheels were already beginning to come off, and he was only running his plays, despite Waldron obviously (now) being able to call a good game. 3rd downs were horrible and drive duration was worse.

Russ unfortunately is no different than 90% of qbs who play the game in the NFL - they aren't great at playing the xs and os chess game at a high enough level to become great, nor are the gifted enough with the reactionary skills to get the ball out quickly. The tools that Russ used to overcome those deficiencies have a shelf life and they've expired. He's not going to all of a sudden discovery the ability to diagnos coverages and anticipate wrs being open. And... he's nit going to bring his 40 time back down to where it was 7 years ago.

Like KJ said. It's a wrap in Denver.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The problem with bringing in a Sean Payton and/ or a Drew Brees is that they won't be able to help Russ. He's not a finesse quarterback who can come to the line, read and dissect a defense, and draw off a complex game plan, to adjust to what the defense is showing him.

He's a game manager who needs a simple, sandlot style game plan. I don't think a finesse coach can help him much.

Sean Payton wants no part of the dumpster fire going on in Denver right now. He'd be insane to take that job.

keasley45

Reaction score
Sean Payton wants no part of the dumpster fire going on in Denver right now. He'd be insane to take that job.
Yup. And the issue is that even if you get a coach to come in and work with Russ, with what people are describing him needing to be - a glorified game manager with a Derrick Henry level RB and occasional long ball ability... you don't pay that guy $250 mil.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Whats with all the Ciara hate? You do understand that she came alonmg just when all of the personalities on the team that kept Mr Unlimited, 'limited', ego wise, were politely permitted to leave, right? So between Russ having to check his 'persona' at the door (and along with it, maintain accountability for his play) because he had teammates calling him out when necessary... and then all of that going away and being replaced by a coach who enabled him, and Ciara somehow influencing him in a way that apparently caused him to lose the mental focus to play the game... which do you think is MOST plausible?

AND... Russ sought out Ciara. That's well known. He WANTED whatever you want to call the lifestyle they have together. And there are plenty of A-list athletes who are also off the field celebs and red carpet regulars who manage to maintain a high level of play.

Russ's issue is Russ.. Not his coach, or his coordinator, or his wife.
He has to spend a lot of his time focusing on trying to make her career relevant. A D list singer at best. The photo shoots..reality TV.. perfume...all take away from the game.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
My take:

Deal breakers:
  1. Slow processor
    Russ is slow in reading, dissecting, reacting to defense. After 10 years in the league, I doubt that he will one day flip a switch.
  2. Finger
    If his injury last season and the premature return did some permanent damages to that finger, he is toasted. One of his major strength was long ball, which lacked accuracy this season, could the poor long balls were to due to that finger?
  3. Fragile psychic
    The booing on MNF, the wrist bank gate may be manageable to most, but not someone with fragile psychic. The more hostilities from media, fans, and teammates, the lower Russ sinks. Pete managed that well, both boosting/protecting it AND in the cases of this year, destroying it.
How to help him:
  1. Get players that can compliment his style, Lockett taught Dk how to dealt with Wilson's improvising. Pete or his OC pressed down on Duane Brown when he complained about difficulty in protecting a QB that likes to run in circles. None of his current teammates made effort to play RussBall, if they can't or unwilling to oblige, they all need to go!
  2. Simplify the playbook, take away stuff that he can't handle, the timing and rhythm stuffs, this old dog may not be able to learn new tricks. His game didn't change much during his tenure in Seattle, right?
  3. Protect that fragile psychic, here I differ from other Wilsoncologists, Russ is not strong enough mentally to benefit from a Jim Harbaugh type, making him cry may be; improvements? no.
    1. From ownership down, to protect their $250mil investment, they need to ORDER other players to show some love, even fake ones.
    2. Start blaming other players and spare Wilson, because he is a weirdo. Another weirdo: Sea Biscuits needed a double stall so he could sleep lying down with a 12 years old mare, a monkey, a parrot and other animals. Sea Biscuits had mama, and loneliness issues. He needed to sleep till noon too. Sea Biscuits first trainer was a multiple triple crown winning dude, also a disciplinarian, under him Sea Biscuits liked to bite his trainers and jockeys. Once he got his issues addressed, he became a winner. Not sure if Russ got mama issues, but he got issues. Just listen to how to talk, you will come away thinking Wilson got issues.
  4. Sell the idea that his HOF is on the line, MVP should be far from his current considerations. Love but tough love here.

Torc

Reaction score
I mentioned Payton in my answer because he's spoken publicly about what he would do with Wilson. You're absolutely right - I don't see any top tier coaches being willing to go to Denver to clean up the mess, especially with the lack of draft capital and cap space that Russ comes along with. I could MAYBE see someone like Payton being willing with a high salary and some guaranteed control. But more likely they'll get a young guy who won't be able to manage russ any more than Hackett has.

Denver was interested in Dan Quinn last year, and he'll likely be a hot coach again this year. I bet he doesn't touch the Denver job with a 10 foot pole now.

James in PA

Reaction score
According to Mr I'm Limited, he has 3 to 4 more Super Bowls to win, so he better get it fixed quickly!

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Pretty much this. Russ has holes in his game, he always has. But what used to be his strengths are now also weaknesses. Old bodies don't perform like young ones, but age is not his problem. His weight is. If he loses 15-20 pounds and trains hard on his running, doing sprint drills/agility drills/hills/etc., he could get back the quickness he used to have, and at least make his strengths strong again.

Whoever the new Broncos HC & GM is, they're going to need to evict Russ's entourage from Broncos facilities and let Russ take care of that stuff on his own time.
Reminds me of when Seahawks hired Holmgren as both coach and GM he wasn’t successful and was told if you want to keep your job you need to give up the GM job and just coach.

Good decision Mike!

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
1. Fire Hackett
2. Bring in a hardass head coach that is real with Wilson and holds him accountable. Right now he has no accountability with his "partnership" that he has with Hackett. I think someone like Jim Harbaugh would be a good match.
3.Bring in Schottenheimer again to call plays for Wilson, he seemed to know how to best maximize his skill set out of all the OC's Wilson has been through.

Wilson needs tough love and structure right now. He's being left to his own devices and self-destructing. I think Carroll even coddled him too much. He needs cold hard reality. He's not a movie star, he's a B grade celebrity that needs to focus on his craft. He's surrounded himself with the wrong people. He's in a position where he can't leave Denver either. So if he gets a real hardass like Harbaugh he's stuck with him. Nobody is going to be willing to take on that contract, it's either play or sit on the bench and get fined by the team.

Get rid of the office and come down hard on him and team 3.
Harbaugh would be awesome!

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I mentioned Payton in my answer because he's spoken publicly about what he would do with Wilson. You're absolutely right - I don't see any top tier coaches being willing to go to Denver to clean up the mess, especially with the lack of draft capital and cap space that Russ comes along with. I could MAYBE see someone like Payton being willing with a high salary and some guaranteed control. But more likely they'll get a young guy who won't be able to manage russ any more than Hackett has.

Denver was interested in Dan Quinn last year, and he'll likely be a hot coach again this year. I bet he doesn't touch the Denver job with a 10 foot pole now.
Bevell as HC and Schotty as OC., back to future Russ.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Were I Hackett, I would sit Russ for the next two games. Its not worth the risk of injury to someone you are stuck with. Plus it gives you baseline metrics that reveal what Russell’s strengths are over a below average backup.

Meanwhile, Russ runs Scout Team. His job is to emulate Lamar and then Mahomes for his actual defense. If anything can power reset Russ, this might. Remind him of the kind of qb they thought he could be.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I want our draft picks from him to be high as possible-He's playing it out

Latest posts