How to resurrect Wilson's career?

toffee

Reaction score
We have enough Wilsoncologists on dot net, so a question for all you experts: How would you resurrect Wilson's career? This good thing is that he can't drop much lower, he is currently the laughing stock in football world. On ESPN he is #30 ranked (QBR - 32.2) or #29 (RTG - 82.3); on PFF he is #41 (OFF - 62.7) #42 (passing - 63.4); he is facing hostile teammates and ineffective coaching. Even Colin Cowherd turned against him.

If the Denver Bronco would to pay you, the Wilsoncologist, say $2 mil a year to design a plan to resurrect Russ's career, or at least improve enough so he could have some trade value. What would you suggestions be?

Last edited:

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
"@DangerPuss" should humbly accept that he is "not all of that" and immediately start on a fitness plan based on running / sprinting and weight loss, wear a wristband, give up his office and remove R3 staff from the building, take a pay cut and actively recruit the talent that he believes will help them win.

Free agents are really the only way for the Broncos to move forward next year. We have their draft picks and the budget is limited going forward, because of Mr. Unlimited's paycheck.

I prescribe a "Russel-oscopy" to find those problems. He should probably be "sedated" while they are looking.

calinator

Reaction score
It's not looking good at his age. Russ is awful in a timing based offense. He is at his best after the play breaks down and he has a phenomenal deep ball and that is as far as I go with positives. I heard a great quote on tv along the lines of "if he can only succeed in an offense where the play breaks down and he can extend and if he can no longer be able to do that, is he done?"

In Seattle Russ was great at destroying average and bad defenses by just running around playing backyard football because those defenses could not get enough pressure. Against great defenses and especially in the playoffs, I dont remember him ever having a good game against a good-great defense. If he were actually elite and good in a timing offense he would have some of those.

James in PA

Reaction score
I would get him into psychotherapy so he can learn how to display real emotion. Seriously, therapy might help him on and off the field. "I don't need to be Tom Brady. My wife I don't need to be Jay Z and Beyonce." I do agree he needs to slim down as well.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
"@DangerPuss" should humbly accept that he is "not all of that" and immediately start on a fitness plan based on running / sprinting and weight loss, wear a wristband, give up his office and remove R3 staff from the building, take a pay cut and actively recruit the talent that he believes will help them win.
Pretty much this. Russ has holes in his game, he always has. But what used to be his strengths are now also weaknesses. Old bodies don't perform like young ones, but age is not his problem. His weight is. If he loses 15-20 pounds and trains hard on his running, doing sprint drills/agility drills/hills/etc., he could get back the quickness he used to have, and at least make his strengths strong again.

Whoever the new Broncos HC & GM is, they're going to need to evict Russ's entourage from Broncos facilities and let Russ take care of that stuff on his own time.

Donn2390

Reaction score
We have enough Wilsoncologists on dot net, so a question for all you experts: How would you resurrect Wilson's career? This good thing is that he can't drop much lower, he is currently the laughing stock in football world. On ESPN he is #30 ranked (QBR - 32.2) or #29 (RTG - 82.3); on PFF he is #41 (OFF - 62.7) #42 (passing - 63.4); he is facing hostile teammates and ineffective coaching. Even Colin Cowherd turned against him.

If the Denver Bronco would to pay you, the Wilsoncologist, say $2 mil a year to design a plan to resurrect Russ's career, or at least improve enough so he could have some trade value. What would you suggestions be?
You're just pi$$ed off because Ciara didn't invite you to the birthday party..!!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Pretty much this. Russ has holes in his game, he always has. But what used to be his strengths are now also weaknesses. Old bodies don't perform like young ones, but age is not his problem. His weight is. If he loses 15-20 pounds and trains hard on his running, doing sprint drills/agility drills/hills/etc., he could get back the quickness he used to have, and at least make his strengths strong again.

Whoever the new Broncos HC & GM is, they're going to need to evict Russ's entourage from Broncos facilities and let Russ take care of that stuff on his own time.
With all due respect:
Me3 has been exposed..He is past his prime and it's not going to come back
like some Rocky movie.
The weight loss and all that stuff could help a little but he won't ever be the
same to turn back the clock to 7 yrs ago.
What he really needed to do was learn the game and actually do the things a
Brady or Manning do besides acting like it and just winging it.
Above all else is his slow processer:It gets slower with age and you cannot fix it.

jeremiah

Reaction score

Lose weight and work on the quicks. Too late for this year, but next year who knows?

chrispy

Reaction score
Step 1: Bench him.
Nothing happens until he eats his humble pie. He has to wholeheartedly accept failure. He hasn't as demo'd by all his pressers and social media. He has to relinquish all the control and attention he covets. He has to accept he isn't as good as he thought nor as good as he wants everyone else to think.

Step 2: ...completely dependent on step one. There is no step 2 if he can't diminish himself in his own eyes to a level of average +/-. If he can, and he does it before he's an old man, he has the skill set and knowledge to play a while longer in some capacity with the right coaching.

He has to truly believe that success is a result of the team playing well and failure is a result of him playing poorly as opposed to his current foundation of the opposite. For $2million I would have confidence it could be done. For an honest answer on an anonymous football fan page, uh.....not gonna happen....

Spohawks

Reaction score

Free agents are really the only way for the Broncos to move forward next year. We have their draft picks and the budget is limited going forward, because of Mr. Unlimited's paycheck.

I prescribe a "Russel-oscopy" to find those problems. He should probably be "sedated" while they are looking.
Honestly I like the idea of him taking a pay cut and recruit some talent...it worked for John Elway.

It would get better players around him and help his image.

Last edited:

GemCity

Reaction score
I don’t think a resurrection is possible but, the first thing he needs is a Sean Payton type, or authoritarian that demands he plays the position the coaches way and the coaches way only.

To some degree, PC did that but in a “nice” manner.

Torc

Reaction score
1. Hire a coach who has had major success including a super bowl. Extra credit if he coached a shorter QB to do it. Extra extra credit if you hire Sean Payton.
2. Payton has the credibility to sit Russ down and tell him what's going to happen instead of Russ dictating to him. Drew Brees 'happens' to give Russ a call and helps convince him to buy into Payton's program.
3. Payton has already said how he would coach Russ - go through film of all of his successful plays in Seattle and build an offense around that.
4. Seriously Russ. Do what we tell you. You're not Tom or Aaron, you're Russ.
5. Payton has a chat with Ciara and Russ's nutritionist, and mandates that Russ lose 30 pounds (or whatever will put him at an appropriate weight to get some of his agility back).
6. Payton kicks Team3 out of the building, tells Russ he can visit them on his day off. No, he can't call them during lunch, because....
7. Russ is eating with his teammates from now on. No hiding out in his office with his team.
8. At the start of training camp, Payton meets with the Broncos players and tells them that the team is resetting, and that they need to buy into that. 2022 is over, time to start fresh for 2023. Bury any grudges, buy into the new program.

I think Russ has the discipline to come back, he's proved it. But he needs a coach with as much or more success as he has so that he has to respect him. Hackett is a pushover. Coach and QB can't be partners/peers - the QB wants himself to succeed and thinks that's how the team wins. The coach has the big picture in mind and wants the team to succeed. QB success is a result of winning, not the other way around.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
With all due respect:
Me3 has been exposed..He is past his prime and it's not going to come back
like some Rocky movie.
The weight loss and all that stuff could help a little but he won't ever be the
same to turn back the clock to 7 yrs ago.
What he really needed to do was learn the game and actually do the things a
Brady or Manning do besides acting like it and just winging it.
Above all else is his slow processer:It gets slower with age and you cannot fix it.
To be clear, I don't think he's going to do anything about his weight. And I think that has more to do with the fact that he's living the good life, and doesn't have the motivation to actually do anything about it. But I remain convinced that the weight is holding him back physically more than his age is. 34 isn't old enough to cost him that much speed and agility unless his knees were wrecked at some point.

Now, if he did manage to lose that weight, and trains hard to regain his speed and agility, that wouldn't mean he'd play QB better. But it would allow him to recreate some of the magic from earlier in his career, when he could make D linemen look ridiculous while avoiding them and buying time to survey the field for a safety net. If he doesn't get all the way there because of his age, but gets 90% there because of his effort, it's still a significant improvement.

keasley45

Reaction score
Beg PC to take him back and put him in an offense akin to the kiddy lane at the bowling alley that has the inflatable bumpers in the gutters.

Short of that? Sometimes the best way to save a career is to end it. He helps his legacy most by bowing out while he can still attribute his struggles to a HC who's on the hot seat (albeit largely because of him), and an offensive line and backfield that's dinged. up. Do that... and rely on the short attention span of the media to forget how bad he really was without his Seattle safety net.