How to resurrect Wilson's career?

RiverDog

Reaction score
The Broncos scored 9 points.

Passer rating? Who cares? They scored only 9 points.
Nine points and never got into the end zone. They were just 2-12 on 3rd down, another factor that's not reflected in a passer rating and that the QB bears quite a bit of responsibility for.

I also didn't like the decisions Russell made in the final minute, scrambling for yardage in the middle of the field twice and burning their only remaining timeout when all they needed was to get into FG range. With that timeout, he had the entire playbook available. They could have ran at least 2-3 more plays had he not made those decisions.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I can't think of a solution that doesn't involved a time machine. The only the Broncos have to cling to is a new coach will "unlock" Russ next year. However, that's what was supposed to happen this year with Hackett and Russ "escaping" the system in Seattle that held him down. If the problem is that he has issues reading, hitting the middle of the field, and needs to hit off-script big throws to be successful again, there may not be a coach that can provide a solution

There is one, but he already has a job in the NFL, just got rid of Wilson, and now has a QB who does what he's supposed to do in that coach's system. When that coach leaves his current team, it will almost certainly be to retire, not to go to a team with a dumpster fire of an offense that has to be built around a severely overpaid QB.

bileever

Reaction score
Get Quinn and Shotty
I know there has been some debate over this, but did Wilson get Schottenheimer fired? I've read that he was responsible, and of course, Russ denied it publicly but that's exactly what he would do even if he pushed for it in private.

Donn2390

Reaction score
I know there has been some debate over this, but did Wilson get Schottenheimer fired? I've read that he was responsible, and of course, Russ denied it publicly but that's exactly what he would do even if he pushed for it in private.
Big Russ got rid of several coaches and numerous really good players. He dumps them and then says how sorry is that they are gone, a true politician..

renofox

Reaction score
From what I remember, Schotty quit during a meeting with PC over "philosophical differences".

I think the meeting was a standard end-of-season strategy meeting (review of results, and where do we go next season).

At the time, I assumed Schotty wanted to Let Russ Cook and PC wanted to continue limiting Mr. Unlimited.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I came across an objective article that gives some history about notable NFL quarterbacks that were in a similar predicament as Russell is and represents a good breakdown of some of the problems he and Denver have experienced. It's worth a read if they topic interests you:

Jville

Reaction score
I came across an objective article that gives some history about notable NFL quarterbacks that were in a similar predicament as Russell is and represents a good breakdown of some of the problems he and Denver have experienced. It's worth a read if they topic interests you:

From the article ...........
"Elway had one great season at age 27, but the rest of his campaigns were mediocre to poor. Then he turned 33 and had the greatest season of his career, followed by five more Top 400 seasons. He is the only quarterback in history to accomplish this feat.

The reason may be simple: Elway got into a system built to get the best out of him. Under Dan Reeves, it is no secret that the Broncos' offense was underutilizing Elway’s talents.

In 1993, when Elway had his best season, Reeves was gone, and Jim Fassel became the offensive coordinator under then-head coach Wade Phillips. Fassel brought with him the West Coast Offense, and Elway thrived."

When I first heard of the Russell Wilson trade last year, Elway's career experience was the first thing that came to mind. Unfortunately for Denver fans, I don't expect Wilson to duplicate how Elway finished out his career. Very different careers and characteristics.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Part of the genius of Pete Carroll, I believe in hindsight, is that he recognized early on that plays were going to break down at a much higher rate with Wilson than with any other more conventional quarterback, so he made a plan for that. What happens after the scripted play dies? Yardball happens. And the Seahawks actually made that part of the practice routine. I think it was even a doctrine here that every pass play exists in two parts -- the scripted part, and the part that happens after the scripted part breaks down. And we practiced that. And our receivers got good at executing the second part, and became the security blanket for Russ.

Russ doesn't have that security blanket in Denver. (What he does have is a spare tire. He's older now, but he's still only 34, and that's way too young to lose that much speed and agility unless his knees have been wrecked at some point. His age isn't his issue physically, his weight is.) He never gets to the unscripted part of his plays because nobody there knew he needed that, and so nobody prepared for it, and suddenly Russ has no security blanket.

The other part of the Russ problem is his head is seriously messed up. I think keasley45 is right, his confidence is shot. He pumped himself up so full of himself that I'm not sure if he understands what is real any longer. I mean, can he distinguish between the realities he tried to create for himself and the hard reality that doesn't give a shit what you think? It's like there is a part of him that is desperately trying to distract the rest of him from the real reality by diverting to platitudes and narratives. And yet his job requires him to play NFL QB in NFL games against other NFL teams with players not nearly as screwed up in the head as he is, and the result is... what we see in Denver every week.
Pete clearly stated several years back that he wanted the Hawks to be the best scramble drill team in the NFL.

IndyHawk

Reaction score

The NFL in those QB's time was brutal and non QB friendly..Two could run but knew how
to use the pocket.
3 is a different case..A RB playing QB in a sense,thrived on legs for finding open WR's and
running wild if he couldn't.
Josh fields,Kyler and Lamar are all from his tree..All of them are done when they can't run.
I'm wondering when all these people will see this.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Big Russ got rid of several coaches and numerous really good players. He dumps them and then says how sorry is that they are gone, a true politician..
Why so many players hated him? When Wilson is down, like right now, I haven't heard a lot of support from his current and past teammates

sc85sis

Reaction score
Yeah, I wish I could find the article or vid where I saw Pete state it. At one point, I also remember him talking a lot about red-line plays down the sidelines, which also fits perfectly into Russ' skillset.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Why so many players hated him? When Wilson is down, like right now, I haven't heard a lot of support from his current and past teammates
"Hate" isn't the right word. Lack of respect is more fitting.

As far as his current teammates go, the reason he's not getting support is obvious: They're not winning. Losing brings out all the daggers, winning cures all wounds.

Russell always has had some underlying problems with his past teammates. Do you remember the 'not black enough' BS that came out of the locker room during the LOB era? It probably wasn't fair to Russell, but there were a lot of his teammates that resented the way Pete pampered him.

If Russell's past teammates are anything like me, I can fully understand how he could start to grate on a person's nerves. He constantly talks in cliches, never shies away from a microphone or camera, paints a smiley face on every situation, obsessed with his image, sounds like a phony. For the past few years that Russ was with us, I had begun to tire of him and his style. Not that I don't appreciate him for his role in the best era of Seahawk football that we've ever had.

strohmin

Reaction score
"Hate" isn't the right word. Lack of respect is more fitting.

As far as his current teammates go, the reason he's not getting support is obvious: They're not winning. Losing brings out all the daggers, winning cures all wounds.

Russell always has had some underlying problems with his past teammates. Do you remember the 'not black enough' BS that came out of the locker room during the LOB era? It probably wasn't fair to Russell, but there were a lot of his teammates that resented the way Pete pampered him.

If Russell's past teammates are anything like me, I can fully understand how he could start to grate on a person's nerves. He constantly talks in cliches, never shies away from a microphone or camera, paints a smiley face on every situation, obsessed with his image, sounds like a phony. For the past few years that Russ was with us, I had begun to tire of him and his style. Not that I don't appreciate him for his role in the best era of Seahawk football that we've ever had.

Yeah I cant imagine any respectable nfl teammate of Russ not getting irritated with him. I have no problem with Russ acting the way he is when he is winning but you probably should do something different if you are constantly losing. A leader needs to show some fire or passion especially when things are bad. He talks about not giving up but he always look like he has.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Yeah I cant imagine any respectable nfl teammate of Russ not getting irritated with him. I have no problem with Russ acting the way he is when he is winning but you probably should do something different if you are constantly losing. A leader needs to show some fire or passion especially when things are bad. He talks about not giving up but he always look like he has.
Russell isn't used to losing, at least not like this. It would be pretty hard for him to show some passion and fire ala Tom Brady in his behavior as it's not in his constitution. It could be counterproductive for him to try as it would look so out of place for him to get mad and start cussing and throwing things. It's one of the reasons why I don't think he's a great leader of men. He's not cut out to be an A-hole. Can you imagine Russell as a drill sergeant?

If I were Russell, I'd try to limit my time in front of the cameras and microphones, keep my answers short, and quit flashing my smile, act like I'm bothered. He doesn't have to say anything, just tell people he's working on getting himself right and the team winning and leave it at that. It's one of those things that when you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is quit digging.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
So as seen from the 2014 si.com article I just posted, Russ needs these things to resurrect to where he was in Seattle at 6-8.

1. The entourage including personal qb coach Heaps. Bummer that Heaps isn’t around doing Russ plus media when he basically said he’d been coaching Russ anyway In Seattle.

2. An Rb like Carson or Penny, plus wrs like Lockett and Metcalf.

3. A fan base that at Least tolerates him.

These are impossible conditions. Reality is That the Broncs have Little to lose

GemCity

Reaction score
Denver fans despise him, Seattle fans are thankful he is gone, and the rest of the NFL is making fun of him.

I highly doubt he comes out of this unless he takes a long hard look in the mirror and drops the ego/celebrity act and goes back to his roots of being a football player/team guy… Which I HIGHLY doubt he will do.
You can train, get back in playing shape, work out the bugs…come back in the best physical shape you’ve ever been in.

The mental on the other hand…

Latest posts