Hit reset, trade Russ.

Aircrew

Reaction score
So I watched the 2nd half last night and it played out, minus the Russ injury, as I expected. As a casual observer of Seattle for the last 3 years, after having been a diehard for 30+ years prior to that, it's clear to me that there's a big white elephant in the room. What we didn't know in the week 2 loss against the Titans was that the Seahawks, as we've known them under Pete/Jon, are done. They are off, the vibe is different. And if I am Jon Schneider, I move Russell Wilson before the trade deadline on November 2nd, and I do it quietly. If you want to trace all of this back to where it went off the rails, it was after last season when Russ went public with his grievances. Sure, much of what Russ had to say had merit, but the manner in which he went about it was really bad PR for a franchise QB with his persona. And, as a result, I think he lost Pete and the locker room when he did it.
It's time for a divorce. Russell already filed, now the papers need to be served. Trade him and hit reset, this season was over before it started.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Keep Russ, move on from Pete and co. I do not want to be the Browns or Jets continually trying to find a decent QB. Russ may not be perfect but he is one of the best QBs in football. You don't trade that away you build around it.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
No such thing as quietly trading Russell. He has a no trade clause which he needs to waive for a trade to be tenable.

I'd like to see them gauge interest from the Saints, who Russ would accept a trade to. See what they're willing to part with. Three firsts and Chauncey Gardner Johnson would be a starting point.

Rat

Reaction score
I agree. This team, as currently constructed, has hit their ceiling. And I dont think the solution is going to be found making a shrewd trade or pickup off the street. There are a lot of problems.

Taking advantage of the trade value of our best asset to set up our future is 100% the right move. I dont expect to see it happen though, given the pressure to win now. It's not like Pete is going to want to wait around during a 3-4 year rebuild.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Trade Russ, who has at least 10 years of playing time left...??

While keeping Pete who might not even last 3 years on this planet. It makes no sense. Pete could retire in 3 months and nobody would bat an eye. Why would you bet the old guy that is getting worse with time, instead of betting on the guy that might be good for a decade under another coach?

Rat

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2lu8lzvp said:

Based on what, the one time out of thousands that a QB has still been productive at that age? And Tom Brady isn't a guy who is heavily dependent on his mobility.

OP
OP
Aircrew

Aircrew

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3ztk3ndm said:

While keeping Pete who might not even last 3 years on this planet. It makes no sense. Pete could retire in 3 months and nobody would bat an eye. Why would you bet the old guy that is getting worse with time, instead of betting on the guy that might be good for a decade under another coach?

Yes. Because I think he's lost the respect of the locker room. His media blitz last offseason was manufactured, transparent, underhanded and highly selfish. I can't imagine any Type A man wanting to follow a "leader" like that. And, after what he's pulled, I wouldn't have the confidence that Russ would stick around for a rebuild. Besides, he has value now, get what you can for him while his value is still high.
No scenario is perfect, but trying to put lipstick on this pig is at the bottom of my logic list.

Stud

Reaction score
As a 49ers fan, I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of a future HOF. We haven't had a good QB since Jeff Garcia. We've had QB's showed flashes of being great that never panned out (Krap and Jimmy G). Don't think the grass is greener. It's not. I'm jealous you guys have Wilson.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
3 first rounders might sound nice but the moment we trade away Russ he makes that team a super bowl contender. Meaning we get a bunch of late round firsts. Yippee skippee!!! How many teams have been trying to get a legit QB for 20 40 years????
The problem on this team is defense where we are overspending on 2 less important positions at middle linebacker and strong safety and scrimping at C.B. and D line. Positions I would argue are far more important.

When you get a good QB you build around him. You don't trade him away for picks. Pete has lost vision on team building and is just flailing about trying to find the answer. Hence the Jamal trade.
Our drafting has been bad but our trades have been worse affecting our draft possibilities (Harvin, Graham, Sheldon,Jamal). I believe these team building decisions come from Pete not John. John is doing what he is directed to do. Many of these trades were for players that were problems on their former teams (Harvin, Jamal, Sheldon) and I think we shouldn't be trading for this type of player either.
The current state of the Seahawks rests on Petes shoulders not Russ and I think its time to move on.

You build from a very good base of a top flight QB. You can get good coaches who will want to be here because Russ is here. Players too. You tade him away and no one wants to be here. Does anyone remember what it used to be like to try and get free agents to sign here? Trading Russ is a knee jerk reaction and a good way to submarine this franchise for years to come.

mistaowen

Reaction score
I can't imagine this team getting rid of a HOF QB who has covered up poor coaching since 2017 and seeing what Pete does with the rest of his career. I would love it if Pete went the Saban route and brought in guys to run both sides of the ball while he manages the program but he will never do that. We've run the same system since he got here but the assistant coaches continue to get worse. Had the chance to move on from KNJ and bring Quinn back.

Defensive coaching staff needs to be cleaned out. Doubt that'll happen.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Sure, let's dump one of the best players in the history of the franchise. While he is in his prime. And we can roll the dice with drafting a Trey Lance or a Baker Mayfield (not that we would even be able to secure a top 3 draft slot). Because those guys are surely going to be better than Russ. Yup, that's the answer to all of our problems.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
An above-average effective QB is the most difficult component of a winning team to acquire. A HOF QB is a once-in-a-decade opportunity.
Difficult to replace or obtain.

An aging HC with very little to contribute anymore and a penchant to play FB with outdated gameplans?
Completely easy to replace or obtain.

We could replace Pete tomorrow with another aging coach that would do as good if not better, just with talent disaster that Pete created here.

The other issue is WHO would trade Russ? Because I don't want Pete anywhere near the table when that deal gets done or the ensuing draft picks get made.

Trading Russ and then allowing Pete to use the proceeds to 'improve the team' is a recipe for some poor fit trade and a slew of wasted draft picks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ddores":1ye21tju said:
It is, without a doubt, time to blow it up.

It's pretty obvious isn't it that neither John nor Pete have the stomach for a full rebuild. It's why they've mortgaged the future by trading away most of our draft pick to win now.

So if you want a complete rebuild by trading Russell, you better find a new HC and GM.....cause I don't get the feeling either of these guys want any part of spending the remainder of their extensions in a complete rebuild.

OP
OP
Aircrew

Aircrew

Reaction score
Believe me, I understand the rationale for keeping a future HOF QB, it is the hardest position to fill in the NFL. But our situation is not that simple.
Russ has become a malcontent. I'm not debating the why, I'm just stating the obvious. Now how sound is the logic for building around a guy who may throw an offseason tantrum and quasi demand a trade while not demanding a trade? How's that for recruiting free agents? How's that for ticket sales? How's that for a future? And I'm not defending Pete, far from it, he needs to go as well. I'd just start with Russ since this season is over for Seattle and the trade deadline is right around the corner. Once January hits, send Pete packing and have Schneider go find his HC, not the other way around.
Russ wants out, he's made that clear. Wring out what you can for him and start over. A toxic QB, HOF'er or not, is nothing to build around, in my opinion.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No, geezus. This defense is historically bad, yet again. The didn't play 4 quarters of good football, yet again. They gave away a game they should have won, yet again. Average team at this point. Still 12 games left, but man does this team feel different. Rams pass defense is pretty weak. But, they actually adjusted, something we seem to not see here with this coaching staff. No sugar coat, they gave another one way. How many times are we gonna' have to see the opponents outcoach this team?

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2t2fis8s said:
ddores":2t2fis8s said:
It is, without a doubt, time to blow it up.

It's pretty obvious isn't it that neither John nor Pete have the stomach for a full rebuild. It's why they've mortgaged the future by trading away most of our draft pick to win now.

So if you want a complete rebuild by trading Russell, you better find a new HC and GM.....cause I don't get the feeling either of these guys want any part of spending the remainder of their extensions in a complete rebuild.

I meant - and this isn't just friday morning butt-hurt talking -

Blow it ALL up.

Love where we've come from. Love where we've been. This ain't workin. Although I loved Pete's presser on Thursday - thought it was quite humorous - this shit ain't paying the bills.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Aircrew":13jfpu7b said:
Believe me, I understand the rationale for keeping a future HOF QB, it is the hardest position to fill in the NFL. But our situation is not that simple.
Russ has become a malcontent. I'm not debating the why, I'm just stating the obvious. Now how sound is the logic for building around a guy who may throw an offseason tantrum and quasi demand a trade while not demanding a trade? How's that for recruiting free agents? How's that for ticket sales? How's that for a future? And I'm not defending Pete, far from it, he needs to go as well. I'd just start with Russ since this season is over for Seattle and the trade deadline is right around the corner. Once January hits, send Pete packing and have Schneider go find his HC, not the other way around.
Russ wants out, he's made that clear. Wring out what you can for him and start over. A toxic QB, HOF'er or not, is nothing to build around, in my opinion.
Because you don't need to throw Russ out with Pete. I don't even think they need to move on from John. Pete is the source of frustration. He is the one directing the moves we are making. They have spent mass amounts of money to postions like a washed up TE last year and a bunch of nobodies on Oline rather than just spending the money on the good free agent Olinemen that were available.
We spend mass amounts on D postions that just are not as critical. This is bad team building. We could start Neal sit Jamal and be better off as a team AND have money to spend on D end and line (had we not sunk even more money into Jamal). Missappropriated money and team building is the problem here.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Natethegreat"How many teams have been trying to get a legit QB for 20 40 years????[/quote said:
The Bears have been trying for over 70 years.

The Jets are at 45 if you include Namath. If you don't, it's never.

Dolphins more than 20.

I'd argue the Bucs have never had one outside of maybe Doug Williams (GOAT rental notwithstanding).

Josh Allen looks like he's going to pan out, but the Bills had to go for nearly 25 years without one.

The Cardinals, Jets and Browns? Good lord.

Broncos had their rental with Manning. But between Elway and now? Ugh.

It's just hard, dude. Anybody who wants to eject Wilson and thinks it's probably going to work out with someone else is a gambler.