Green Bay's Key to beating the Hawks

hawker84

Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/ ... 10981.html

It's amazing to me that this philosophy is still being adopted. Every team we faced the last two years stated we must stop Lynch to be successful. Which is great in theory, but the outcome of every game was you either stopped him but RW beat you, or you didn't and Lynch and RW beat you. You maybe able to stop one but you'll have a very hard time stopping both. And quite frankly, i think i'd be every bit as focused on the passing game and spying Wilson as i would on lynch.

Yes i understand a successful running game sets up the play action and opens passing lanes, makes the LB's play closer to the line and all but it's pretty much pick your poison with this offense. Denver did a great job stopping Lynch in the SB, they still lost, badly..... we are not a one trick pony anymore, our passing game should be every bit as effective as our running game...... Just my thoughts....

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawker84":8e32fexe said:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-know-key-to-beating-seattle-is-containing-marshawn-lynch-b99335208z1-272810981.html

It's amazing to me that this philosophy is still being adopted. Every team we faced the last two years stated we must stop Lynch to be successful. Which is great in theory, but the outcome of every game was you either stopped him but RW beat you, or you didn't and Lynch and RW beat you. You maybe able to stop one but you'll have a very hard time stopping both. And quite frankly, i think i'd be every bit as focused on the passing game and spying Wilson as i would on lynch.

Yes i understand a successful running game sets up the play action and opens passing lanes, makes the LB's play closer to the line and all but it's pretty much pick your poison with this offense. Denver did a great job stopping Lynch in the SB, they still lost, badly..... we are not a one trick pony anymore, our passing game should be every bit as effective as our running game...... Just my thoughts....

I see your point, but the passing game is really based on teams stopping Lynch. You aren't seeing teams play Nickel all day long like they do against GB, NE or Denver because they need to stop Lynch first. If you don't stop Lynch, game over. Game may still be over if you stop him, but its over before you even start if you don't shut him down.

Teams defend SF the same way.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
Our offense should grow in other areas this year but I still believe that it all starts with stopping Lynch for other teams. It's pretty much impossible to beat us if our running game is clicking.

OP
OP
hawker84

hawker84

Reaction score
i get all that Marvin and i agree, my point was it sounds great, but easier said than done. two games come to mind.

ATL, they stopped Lynch, RW had one of his best passing performances and brought them back to take the lead.

Denver, we all know what happened there.

you can talk about stopping Lynch being the key all day long, in the end you're going to have to deal with Wilson as well, and he has proven more times than not, he can put this team on his back and win ball games.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawker84":3esbq3j7 said:
i get all that Marvin and i agree, my point was it sounds great, but easier said than done. two games come to mind.

ATL, they stopped Lynch, RW had one of his best passing performances and brought them back to take the lead.

Denver, we all know what happened there.

you can talk about stopping Lynch being the key all day long, in the end you're going to have to deal with Wilson as well, and he has proven more times than not, he can put this team on his back and win ball games.

Well of course. :D

I remember a few years ago I always used to read "establish the run against the Niners" as a way to win.

Right.

Historically good run defense. Good Luck. LOL.

Its like saying "you can win by shutting down Rodgers/Brees/Manning/Brady". Thanks genius.

Always easier said than done.

Look what happened to GB in SF last year. They got gashed in the playoffs to Kap running and told themselves that would never happened again and they made sure it wouldn't....So instead Kap put up 400 passing on them because they overcompensated. You have to stay balanced and not focus too much on Lynch.

...but you do need to stop him. If you don't, you've lost before you've even started.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":3jqofpo8 said:
but its over before you even start if you don't shut him down.
Yet, Marshawn wasn't really shutdown in any of our three losses last year. His accumulated stats for those three losses were 55 rushes for 245 yards and one TD, which is 4.54 YPC. Not a fantastic stretch by any means, but not shutdown, either. In fact, Lynch's three worst games last year were:

@ St. Louis, eight carries for 23 yards and zero TDs. (2.9 YPC)
@ Carolina, 17 carries for 43 yards and zero TDs. (2.5 YPC)
Vs. New Orleans (reg. season), 16 carries for 45 yards and zero TDs. (2.8 YPC)

Yet, we won every single one of those games.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
This is getting better by the day just reading and listening to media about this team reminds me of 3 teams in particular..

1. 1990's Cowboys
2. Montana's 49ers
3. Madden's Raiders

Similar things were said about them on a weekly basis and it didn't change the fact that they still pounded you into submission even when you knew exactly what was coming.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2xekv4xf said:
Marvin49":2xekv4xf said:
Yet, Marshawn wasn't really shutdown in any of our three losses last year. His accumulated stats for those three losses were 55 rushes for 245 yards and one TD, which is 4.54 YPC. Not a fantastic stretch by any means, but not shutdown, either. In fact, Lynch's three worst games last year were:

Again....I'm not saying shutting him down wins you the game. I'm saying you have to shut him down or you don't even have a chance.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Marvin49":2b7uhswr said:
RolandDeschain":2b7uhswr said:
Marvin49":2b7uhswr said:

Again....I'm not saying shutting him down wins you the game. I'm saying you have to shut him down or you don't even have a chance.
True. And even then it isn't a very good one unless Wilson is completely off his game. I'm not actually sure what can be done about Lynch this year given Percy is totally healthy and Wilson looks like he has taken that next step.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":28bbjxqj said:
I just mentioned three games last season alone where Beast Mode didn't accomplish crap, and we won, I guess I'm not sure what part of that you don't seem to get.

:229031_shrug:

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Look at the two games against NO. The second was closer because they were beat so bad trying to stop Lynch in the first one.

Most every team that has tried that philosophy has been trounced. Your better off game planning as if he is part of the offense, not all of it.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":uhkizl0y said:
Marvin49":uhkizl0y said:
I just mentioned three games last season alone where Beast Mode didn't accomplish crap, and we won, I guess I'm not sure what part of that you don't seem to get.

Got it fine. You aren't understanding me. Of course you can win when Lynch gets shut down. Never suggested otherwise.

Just stating that if you DON'T stop Lynch you don't even have a chance. If you want to argue THAT point, find me games where he played great...and they LOST.

The Radish

Reaction score
see your point, but the passing game is really based on teams stopping Lynch. You aren't seeing teams play Nickel all day long like they do against GB, NE or Denver because they need to stop Lynch first. If you don't stop Lynch, game over. Game may still be over if you stop him, but its over before you even start if you don't shut him down.

Funny, I read this and I don't see Marv saying that's how to beat us. He's saying IF YOU DON'T STOP LYNCH ITS GAME OVER. GAME MAY STILL BE OVER IF YOU STOP HIM BUT ITS OVER BEFORE YOU EVEN START IF YOU CAN'T SHUT HIM DOWN.

I think this is pretty good planning. Unless you have a QB that is elusive and can continue plays beating you with his feet and arm.

We blast Marv a lot but this time he's just saying what many teams are likely to think.

:les:

The Radish

Reaction score
Marvin49":ilhx8nxv said:
RolandDeschain":ilhx8nxv said:
Marvin49":ilhx8nxv said:

Got it fine. You aren't understanding me. Of course you can win when Lynch gets shut down. Never suggested otherwise.

Just stating that if you DON'T stop Lynch you don't even have a chance. If you want to argue THAT point, find me games where he played great...and they LOST.

lol

:th2thumbs:

sutz

Reaction score
Everyone focuses on the wrong quote IMHO. When Deion interviewed him on media day before the SB, Marshawn said it best:

"Dude, they got to stop ALL of us."

:mrgreen:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
The Radish":3bcp0qks said:
see your point, but the passing game is really based on teams stopping Lynch. You aren't seeing teams play Nickel all day long like they do against GB, NE or Denver because they need to stop Lynch first. If you don't stop Lynch, game over. Game may still be over if you stop him, but its over before you even start if you don't shut him down.

Funny, I read this and I don't see Marv saying that's how to beat us. He's saying IF YOU DON'T STOP LYNCH ITS GAME OVER. GAME MAY STILL BE OVER IF YOU STOP HIM BUT ITS OVER BEFORE YOU EVEN START IF YOU CAN'T SHUT HIM DOWN.

I think this is pretty good planning. Unless you have a QB that is elusive and can continue plays beating you with his feet and arm.

We blast Marv a lot but this time he's just saying what many teams are likely to think.

:les:
Pretty much. And even he admits it's likely not to work anyway. It's similar to the Cowboys and Emmitt Smith. You had to stop him but good luck with that while Aikman was making surgical strikes all over the place.

LaSeeno

Reaction score
Let's be honest. It's absolutely impossible to beat the Seahawks so why even theorize on how.

Looking back at the decade no SB winner that hasn't been caught cheating has ever failed to repeat. Why are writers writing and players even playing this year.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
sutz":4ucb3amb said:
Everyone focuses on the wrong quote IMHO. When Deion interviewed him on media day before the SB, Marshawn said it best:

"Dude, they got to stop ALL of us."

:mrgreen:

For the win...

gowazzu02

Reaction score
I think a better point would be made if he mentioned stopping the Beast with their front 7. Much like Seattle did in the playoffs vs NO and Denver. allowing our d backs to focus on stopping the pass.

When you bring that 8th or 9th guy in the box. that plays into what RW wants to do over the top.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":2jkrmrrq said:
Well, we lost at Indy and he had 102 yards with a 6.0 YPC, 24 long. No TDs, so not a great day, but a pretty good day just running on the field. How about 2012 @ St. Louis, 118 yards, 5.9 YPC, 1 TD. 2012 @ Detroit, 105 yards, 8.8 YPC, 1 TD, lost.

Just look at the last couple of years, I don't see much correlation between Lynch's performance and our wins and losses: http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_ ... hawn-lynch