Geno wears a wristband. Russ never did...

HawkStrong

Reaction score
Schizo thread. Russ had a few MVP-like seasons without a wristband.

Yeah, because the system around him allowed him to play up to that level -- mostly due to his athletic ability. That's not talking about the efficiency of running the offense presnap, which is what this topic is referring to. Russ has always lacked in that area.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Brady has worn a wristband quite a lot over the years.

Brady wrist

You can see why it would be faster for the OC to say "plays 12 and 15" rather than saying the whole thing and hoping the QB remembers the whole thing for both.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Yeah, because the system around him allowed him to play up to that level -- mostly due to his athletic ability. That's not talking about the efficiency of running the offense presnap, which is what this topic is referring to. Russ has always lacked in that area.
Fair enough

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Won more games than any QB over his 10 years. All w/out a wrist band. Meh.
He's Denver's problem now, we are doing just fine w/out him. Enjoy, this is pretty fun.

chris98251

Reaction score
Manning, Brady,Rodgers etc all must not care about winning either since they don't wear one. The nerve.

Some of the stuff said in this thread is wild lol
Wilson was flipping Coordinators routinely, they kept adjusting the offense, the delay of game penalties, the off-target throws, not seeing guys open or looking and nobody there and taking off or throwing it at a guy not looking for the ball that happened over and over again through ten years. He knew some of the offense.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Schizo thread. Russ had a few MVP-like seasons without a wristband.
The thing about Wilson is his play was always uneven. I think it's more of a realization that Wilson wasn't all he was made up to be around here. He was a good QB, but he was very peaky. I said it in another thread, but the best comparison I can think of for Wilson is Barry Sanders.

Sounds odd right? Not if you analyze the type of player Sanders was. Sanders took more runs for losses than any other RB in history. He was a player that improvised a lot and abandoned structure. He was great at what he did but generally he'd just bide his time until he could break a huge run. He was a player with a lot of peaks and valleys, but an exceptional player all around.

Wilson is the same sort of player. His offensive structure was defined by the lack of structure. He thrived off of backyard style plays and big plays. He also had the same kind of elusiveness as Sanders in the backfield. The sudden start and stop ability and agility in spades. Wilson, like Sanders lived for the big plays.

The thing that Wilson never was able to do is move the ball consistently. With Geno Smith we're pulling off 10+ play drives for 80 plus yards, shaving huge amounts of time off the clock. Wilson always was waiting for that big play down the field. The methodical or the procedural stuff he never was good at.

Wilson was a great player, but in some ways I think he was an anchor around our necks. Despite his gaudy stats he always seemed to fade near the end of the year. That is why he never won MVP, he always had a late season slump of some sort.

In his later years, better teams seemed to be able to contain him pretty well. Another guy who I compare Wilson to is Ben Roethlisberger. They both have very similar career arcs, playing styles and setbacks. Wilson was a good QB, people tend to write him off too much, but at the same time he was also problematic for us in many ways.

I suspect our lack of playoff success since 2015 has a lot to do with Wilson and his uneven play. Even from quarter to quarter it was a gamble as to which Wilson you were going to get. Wilson in Denver has the same issue of being strong in one half and completely worthless in the other.

Oddly enough, I think the OC that understood him and his tendencies the most was Schottenheimer. The more I look back at Schotty's tenure here, the more I was impressed with how he was able to scheme away a lot of his issues, or rather mask them.

toffee

Reaction score
The thing that Wilson never was able to do is move the ball consistently. With Geno Smith we're pulling off 10+ play drives for 80 plus yards, shaving huge amounts of time off the clock. Wilson always was waiting for that big play down the field. The methodical or the procedural stuff he never was good at.
The methodical or the procedural stuff are for pedestrian QBs, stuff Wilson won't touch. How can these pedestrian stuff help with MVP votes? or weekly highlight wheels? Of course not, running around in circles, and long bombs with moon ball arc, now those will get on highlight wheels. Who cares if the defense will be forced to play more minutes, and out of gas come playoff? Certainly not our Russ.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
The methodical or the procedural stuff are for pedestrian QBs, stuff Wilson won't touch. How can these pedestrian stuff help with MVP votes? or weekly highlight wheels? Of course not, running around in circles, and long bombs with moon ball arc, now those will get on highlight wheels. Who cares if the defense will be forced to play more minutes, and out of gas come playoff? Certainly not our Russ.
Lol that is so true, his ego has been his downfall as a player. If he approached the game from the mentality of a student, he would still be a Seahawk and most likely be an HOFer with multiple rings.

Humble is never what Wilson has been.

toffee

Reaction score
Lol that is so true, his ego has been his downfall as a player. If he approached the game from the mentality of a student, he would still be a Seahawk and most likely be an HOFer with multiple rings.

Humble is never what Wilson has been.
I kept saying that Wilson is very complex person, he certainly did not and still do not move in logical ways. As a Russell Wilson homer, yes I was and still am a Russell Wilson homer, I am hoping his recent failures will trigger change.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I kept saying that Wilson is very complex person, he certainly did not and still do not move in logical ways. As a Russell Wilson homer, yes I was and still am a Russell Wilson homer, I am hoping his recent failures will trigger change.
Wilson is at a critical juncture in his career. He's going to need the right coaches and the right mentality in order to remain relevant. He's going to have to transition to being a pocket passer. Fran Tarkenton, Randall Cunningham, and Mike Vick had to reinvent themselves as they got older. Wilson is at that stage too. All of these players were able to revive their careers after slumps as they changed their game up.

How Wilson responds is going to decide his future in the NFL. Right now, I'll say it he's not a good QB and he hasn't been since the first half of 2020. He needs to realize that he can't do what he did when he was younger. Certainly not with the extra 30+ pounds he looks to be packing on since his rookie season.

I don't think Hackett is the guy either. Hackett didn't even call plays for GB, never did it was all LeFleur and Rodgers. If I were Russ, I would become best buds with Drew Brees and spend every waking hour in the offseason learning from the guy. Drew Brees is the direction that Russ needs to go into.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Wilson is at a critical juncture in his career. He's going to need the right coaches and the right mentality in order to remain relevant. He's going to have to transition to being a pocket passer. Fran Tarkenton, Randall Cunningham, and Mike Vick had to reinvent themselves as they got older. Wilson is at that stage too. All of these players were able to revive their careers after slumps as they changed their game up.

How Wilson responds is going to decide his future in the NFL. Right now, I'll say it he's not a good QB and he hasn't been since the first half of 2020. He needs to realize that he can't do what he did when he was younger. Certainly not with the extra 30+ pounds he looks to be packing on since his rookie season.

I don't think Hackett is the guy either. Hackett didn't even call plays for GB, never did it was all LeFleur and Rodgers. If I were Russ, I would become best buds with Drew Brees and spend every waking hour in the offseason learning from the guy. Drew Brees is the direction that Russ needs to go into.

The mobile qb to pocket passer transition is no sure thing. Kaepernick failed. So does Kyler when he tries to pull that.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Wilson was flipping Coordinators routinely, they kept adjusting the offense, the delay of game penalties, the off-target throws, not seeing guys open or looking and nobody there and taking off or throwing it at a guy not looking for the ball that happened over and over again through ten years. He knew some of the offense.
My point is if he routinely missed as many times as you guys said he did he wouldn’t have put up historical numbers. That’s the point, it’s not this extreme everyone is making it out to be. I seriously doubt geno continues to put up numbers close to what Wilson did over a longer sample size but would love to see it. Russ was really ******* good with a couple of blind spots that at times cogged the offense. He also bailed out a terrible offense with his routine explosive plays that maybe 1-2 guys in the league could do. I enjoyed his time here and don’t need to convince everyone he was trash and I’m enjoying watching Geno play his ass off too.

notyou

Reaction score
That’s a link from the Tacoma paper. Hey shags? Can we get urls to show up in blue or something?
Shaggy doesn't want the site any different. He set it up the way he wanted it and disappeared.

I've asked for options to change things and he said he'll look into it and then just disappeared.

To the mod who deleted my last post. Nothing I said was disparaging or inflammatory towards the owner. It was just stating facts. Sorry if facts hurt your feelings.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Shaggy doesn't want the site any different. He set it up the way he wanted it and disappeared.

I've asked for options to change things and he said he'll look into it and then just disappeared.

To the mod who deleted my last post. Nothing I said was disparaging or inflammatory towards the owner. It was just stating facts. Sorry if facts hurt your feelings.

Ive been on other Xenforo platforms that put the urls in bold type in a blue hue. It seems weird that this is the default mode, since it can be so mistaken as plain text.

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
From SantaClaraHawk:

Thank you for the article. I also read the responses with the best being

"Broncos Country, Let's READ."

Last edited: