Geno Smith was due for a game like this.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
Can anyone recall my assertion when he struggled in big moments earlier in the year? He's been a media darling, Cinderella story, feel good story. But... As I said all along, and holding true: Smith is a .500 QB. Maybe without Smith we are 1-2 wins fewer, maybe 1-2 wins more. Don't extend this guy, he will take us no where. Period. Glass slipper is lost.
I agree...unless he'll settle for 45 over 3. 50 tops. Give us time to groom the new guy. Personally, I've seen enough of the Geno color blind experience to know I'd like to see Lock get some reps before we start penciling in QBs in this upcoming draft. In my mind, Lock has probably never been better than he is today. Let's see.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Can anyone recall my assertion when he struggled in big moments earlier in the year? He's been a media darling, Cinderella story, feel good story. But... As I said all along, and holding true: Smith is a .500 QB. Maybe without Smith we are 1-2 wins fewer, maybe 1-2 wins more. Don't extend this guy, he will take us no where. Period. Glass slipper is lost.
More idiocy.

knownone

Reaction score
With no running game and a terrible defense, our only chance of winning is if Geno plays near lights-out. Unfortunately, that's not a formula for success. Similarly, you can't give up 200 yards rushing and 2:1 TOP and expect to win. That's not on Geno. The defense cost us the game.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
In Geno's defense it would certainly help if we had any kind of run game. Having said that he is making poor decisions and was inaccurate today.
Sometimes "Pressure Makes Diamonds", not in this case.
Geno is trying hard to do too much without 'Run Support', and it's biting him in the ass

nwHawk

Reaction score
At times he looked a little slow with the ball today. When he plays not to lose we lose. He needs to be comfortable, and Carolina’s pass rush and coverage got to him.

I’m not disappointed that this happened. It’s going to happen, but we need to see how he responds. Another test is coming.

Chapow

Reaction score
It wasn't one of his better games this season, and yet Geno led the offense to 24 points, with basically no running game.

Our defense, on the other hand, gave up 30 points and 220+ rushing yards to the 3rd worst offense in the league.

Yes, there are things Geno could do better. But the defense and running game are much, MUCH bigger problems right now.

Rainger

Reaction score
Go look how Tom Brady played today. This thread is ridiculous. Yea not his best game but he was NOT the reason for this loss. Also one int was on the refs not on Geno.

nsport

Reaction score
Whoa, hang on a sec. WTF are you talking about? Glass Slipper? Geno isn't to blame at all. He's doing beyond what's expected. It's not even the entire D, just that Run D. I've already posted this, if they fix that run D even a little bit and get more creative running the ball this team will be very very dangerous and very well may win the whole thing this year. Stop blaming Geno, Jesus Christ.
Look man. He's been there with the game on the line and failed more than succeeded. One GW gotta have it drive. Today was a pretty sad performance. But yet again, on critical drives, made terrible throws and decisions. That's what .500 QBs do. Look at the record! The defense has very little to do with it TBH. All that a better defense does is change situations towards the end of the game, and let's all face it together, Geno is not good in those spots.

Rainger

Reaction score
Look man. He's been there with the game on the line and failed more than succeeded. One GW gotta have it drive. Today was a pretty sad performance. But yet again, on critical drives, made terrible throws and decisions. That's what .500 QBs do. Look at the record! The defense has very little to do with it TBH. All that a better defense does is change situations towards the end of the game, and let's all face it together, Geno is not good in those spots.
All I can say to this shit is OMG, delusional.

5thgen

Reaction score
Here we go again. The same fanboys who got pissed when people started talking bad about Russ a few yrs ago are doing the same with Geno. Water settles to it's level.

Chapow

Reaction score

We have the 6th highest scoring offense in the NFL, and that has been without much of a running game the past 4 weeks, and with a below average running game over the course of the entire season thus far.

We also have the 4th worst defense in the NFL by points per game, and the 5th worst by yards per game.

So in other words, our passing game has been very good, our running game has been mediocre, and our defense has been awful. These facts are not leading me to believe that the QB is the problem.

nsport

Reaction score
Very true with respect to overall stats. But lets be real here - games are won and lost based on situations throughout the game. You can score a ton and give up a ton and still win games. You should be ok with expecting your starting QB to win more of those situations than he loses. Remember, my position is he's a .500 QB and we should not invest heavily in him. That's it, I've said no more, no less. I've always believed that and it's proving out on the field.

Chapow

Reaction score
Geno is a bum. He's been hot garage ever since the Tampa game.

11/13 vs Tampa Bay - 23 for 33, 70% completions, 275 yards, 2 TD, 0 Int, 115 passer rating.

11/20 - Bye

11/27 vs Las Vegas - 27 for 37, 73% completions, 328 yards, 2 TD, 1 Int, 106 passer rating.

12/4 vs L.A. Rams - 28 for 39, 72% completions, 367 yards, 3 TD, 1 Int, 116 passer rating.

What a bum.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Strong argument. Sheesh. I could go on and on but it seems wasted as those critical of my comments are homers, but there's plenty on here who agree.
Geno trying to make up for a shit Run deficient Offense, but you go right on going "On and On" pulling stuff outchur whazoo hole, you're still not getting to the meat of the matter.

StoneCold

Reaction score
No running game, crappy run defense. Geno needed to be perfect and had his worst game. Even still late into the 3rd quarter we had a chance. We need better blocking up front and someone with some power and or wiggle to make teams respect the run. otherwise they T off on Geno. Throw in some terrible tackling on D and we got beat.

Teams has lots of room for improvement. Not completely ready to say "next year", but with our draft capital we're in good shape.

Chapow

Reaction score
Very true with respect to overall stats. But lets be real here - games are won and lost based on situations throughout the game. You can score a ton and give up a ton and still win games. You should be ok with expecting your starting QB to win more of those situations than he loses. Remember, my position is he's a .500 QB and we should not invest heavily in him. That's it, I've said no more, no less. I've always believed that and it's proving out on the field.

Yes, lets be real. We have the 6th highest scoring offense in the NFL and yet we're 7-6. We just gave up 30 points to the 3rd worst offense in the NFL. Geno isn't the reason this team is playing like a .500 team. Geno has been a top 10 QB in the NFL this season. Wins and losses are not a QB stat, they are a team stat. This team is losing lately because of the defense and lack of a running game, not because of the QB. Geno has played well enough that we should be a contender in the NFC, but we aren't because our defense is so bad.

Fade

Reaction score
No running game, crappy run defense. Geno needed to be perfect and had his worst game. Even still late into the 3rd quarter we had a chance. We need better blocking up front and someone with some power and or wiggle to make teams respect the run. otherwise they T off on Geno. Throw in some terrible tackling on D and we got beat.

Teams has lots of room for improvement. Not completely ready to say "next year", but with our draft capital we're in good shape.
Rookie D-Lineman aren't fixing the defense (Top 5 pick aside.) They need to be aggressive in Free Agency fixing this defense. Or they are years away. Where's Mafe? High 2nd Rd pick. Lineman/Edge take time, usually.