Geno Smith was due for a game like this.

Fade

Reaction score
Yes, lets be real. We have the 6th highest scoring offense in the NFL and yet we're 7-6. We just gave up 30 points to the 3rd worst offense in the NFL. Geno isn't the reason this team is playing like a .500 team. Geno has been a top 10 QB in the NFL this season. Wins and losses are not a QB stat, they are a team stat. This team is losing lately because of the defense and lack of a running game, not because of the QB. Geno has played well enough that we should be a contender in the NFC, but we aren't because our defense is so bad.
Yes.

If Geno was just a serviceable starter they are one of the worst teams in the NFC. Geno has been mostly lights out for the season, and Pete is going to cash that in with a .500 season, maybe? Pathetic. 0-4 against the NFC South? What a joke.

I struggle to figure out how some people on here cannot see this. Pete's defense continues to be the #1 problem with the Seahawks and I don't see how he ever turns it around with his vanilla scheme. I've watched this for years. This isn't a reaction to a small sample size.

mrblitz

Reaction score
With no running game and a terrible defense, our only chance of winning is if Geno plays near lights-out. Unfortunately, that's not a formula for success. Similarly, you can't give up 200 yards rushing and 2:1 TOP and expect to win. That's not on Geno. The defense cost us the game.
yes, geno has no margin for error

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Due? He has been slowly regressing. Hopefully he gets back to mid season Geno, and a little less Jets Geno.

Half joking, but damn he looked lost yesterday.

BASF

Reaction score
Hero ball syndrome has blinded some of you.

We have given up their most yards to almost every single opponent we have faced. We have given up their most points or second most points to almost every single opponent we have faced. No QB can over come that every week

hawks85

Reaction score
Look man. He's been there with the game on the line and failed more than succeeded. One GW gotta have it drive. Today was a pretty sad performance. But yet again, on critical drives, made terrible throws and decisions. That's what .500 QBs do. Look at the record! The defense has very little to do with it TBH. All that a better defense does is change situations towards the end of the game, and let's all face it together, Geno is not good in those spots.
The Hawks have given up almost 1000 run yards in these last few games. Carolina is a shit team with bottom 5 offense and they ran the ball down our god damn throat with 2 backs I've never heard of. So, your analysis makes no sense whatsoever. We're 7-6 because we're one dimensional and can't stop the run, not Geno's fault.

Last edited:

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
To
The Hawks have given up almost 1000 run yards in these last few games. Carolina is a shit team with bottom 5 offense and they ran the ball down our god damn throat with 2 backs I've never heard of. So, your analysis makes no sense whatsoever. We're 7-6 because we're one dimensional and can't stop the run, not Geno's fault.
To be fair, Carolina has been very good the last 6 games running the ball. 150 plus on the ground and a td a game. This team just made it better.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Can anyone recall my assertion when he struggled in big moments earlier in the year? He's been a media darling, Cinderella story, feel good story. But... As I said all along, and holding true: Smith is a .500 QB. Maybe without Smith we are 1-2 wins fewer, maybe 1-2 wins more. Don't extend this guy, he will take us no where. Period. Glass slipper is lost.

Seems harsh to me.

It's not a coincidence that Geno's struggled since our run game went to crap and our defense regressed back to their pre-November allowing a bajillion yards of rushing and 10+ minute drives.

I don't see any difference in Geno other than what's been going on around him has deteriorated, and now he's only getting 3-4 possessions a half to score, most drives of which are now must score because of how poorly the defense is playing.

nsport

Reaction score
I guess the record and performance remains accurately assessed. Can the Geno love turn to healthy skepticism at this point?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Can anyone recall my assertion when he struggled in big moments earlier in the year? He's been a media darling, Cinderella story, feel good story. But... As I said all along, and holding true: Smith is a .500 QB. Maybe without Smith we are 1-2 wins fewer, maybe 1-2 wins more. Don't extend this guy, he will take us no where. Period. Glass slipper is lost.

Just wait a moment my friend, Geno played well yesterday, he sure looked like a keeper to me.

However, in direct response to your post your premise is flawed as you believe the QB solves everything and that QB can will his team to Ws. For sure he’s a .500 QB and so is his team. Their D has cost this team between 4 & 5 Ws that’s not on him who has been consistent ant reliable and perhaps not Mahommes like spectacularly brilliant but if nothing pretty darn good. I do ask just how many guys are Mahommes brilliant? Is that what every team needs to win or is it more?

If Geno can be re-signed at a non cap crushing deal for a few seasons while a young guy is brought along the O is in steady and pretty capable hands while a young QB of ability is allowed to learn to play as a Pro QB, putting his team ahead of his ‘legacy’. It took Mahommes a year to understand his job.

By now if you haven’t noticed the D is the problem with the lack of 12-4 success so far this year. Now that isn’t on Geno who is 150 yards from a team passing record for this season. I suspect he’ll break it as 9-8 QB on team that was universally expected to barely win 5 games. Frankly Geno is the reason why this team has won 8 games despite a very inconsistent a frequently bad D. If he’d had a good D he’d be the MVP. Hardly a player that is not worth at least seeing if you can extend fora few seasons to see if he can build upon this season.

Now to another issue, I suspect that Geno’s lack of need to play as a difference maker has delayed his abilities in that regard as he seemingly has not been truly clutch, but to me as he gains confidence and actually has a complementary running attack Geno is getting stronger when it counts. I do admit I wanted to see more yesterday than he delivered, but darn it the Jets actually do have a talented D that was beaten like a drum yesterday, so Geno’s lack of late success late was not a huge surprise.

I confess being in the ‘Gee-No’ group earlier but he has proven he has genuine ability and can be a winner quite consistently if he has a complementary team, you know one that can consistently play D. Even then he can get it done when that h doesn’t happen.

My honest belief is you are wrong and Geno is a keeper, but like most things his price must be right.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
Jesus Christ on a bicycle. Most trashed this team coming into the season to some how tanking. 3 wins at best while Geno being complete garbage yet 4k passer and in the top of the rankings for QB’s. Week 18 still in the hunt for a post season shot while majority thought not even a chance. This team was going to compete but unfortunately youth and holes would lead to some tough losses but they were going to be in games, and other than week 2 has had a chance to win all others. Hits hard seeing how close on others that propel is further buts that also learning. Yet that secular of fanbase jumped from trashing to boasting real fast with wins to only be faster in changing to bashing this team when lost games. You act like Geno would be signed as franchise contract status when not realizing can get him on a 2 year higher guarantee and incentive based deal for half of what QB contracts demand in this league all while he has proven with numbers can produce those numbers while we also can draft a guy and let him learn the system underneath. I swear the hardest part of being a Seahawks fan many times is other Seahawk “fans”.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Jesus Christ on a bicycle. Most trashed this team coming into the season to some how tanking. 3 wins at best while Geno being complete garbage yet 4k passer and in the top of the rankings for QB’s. Week 18 still in the hunt for a post season shot while majority thought not even a chance. This team was going to compete but unfortunately youth and holes would lead to some tough losses but they were going to be in games, and other than week 2 has had a chance to win all others. Hits hard seeing how close on others that propel is further buts that also learning. Yet that secular of fanbase jumped from trashing to boasting real fast with wins to only be faster in changing to bashing this team when lost games. You act like Geno would be signed as franchise contract status when not realizing can get him on a 2 year higher guarantee and incentive based deal for half of what QB contracts demand in this league all while he has proven with numbers can produce those numbers while we also can draft a guy and let him learn the system underneath. I swear the hardest part of being a Seahawks fan many times is other Seahawk “fans”.
I don't think that you're aware how QB contracts work in the NFL... Derek Carr and Ryan Tannehill are making over 30 million dollars a year. In fact, Carr's contract is set to ramp up over 40 million per year in 2023. Geno is not going to just take a two year, incentive based contract out of the goodness of his heart. He's never had a big pay day before and this is likely his last opportunity. The next man up always gets a larger pay day. Even mediocre QB's are making around 30 million per year. Geno Smith also happens to play in one of the most prolific systems in the NFL at the moment, the Shanahan style WCO.

Say if we sign him to a franchise exclusive deal, or we franchise him... Well the Seahawks are on the line for over 40 million for the exclusive deal and 32 some odd million for the franchise deal.

If you don't think Geno Smith is going to at least be due for 30 mil/year I have ocean front property to sell you in Kansas. He's not going to just sign a two year contract either that is worth "half of what other QB contracts are worth".

Geno Smith at his current rate is a steal. Geno Smith at 30 mil + is an entirely different proposition. He's definitely regressed and even in games such as the Jets game he had quite a few turnover worthy throws and mistakes even with a strong run game backing him up.

He's not a bad QB, but with Geno we need to tread carefully. I don't see him as franchise Qb material.