Geno running the ball after pass to DK(little time left)

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Not owning up? Lol dude get over yourself. Coaching still failed on that play. They had plenty of time to discuss it with Geno during the review of Charbs catch. The headset is a piss poor excuse, they knew they were low on time and it was 3rd down. Carroll or Waldron should have told Geno to make sure he spiked it if they get the 1st down, since they were given essentially a free timeout on that review
Carry on.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
No, i said before the info was out that maybe it was Geno who called the play. Dugar releasing the info just confirmed it. Pathetic is not owning up.
That's what .500 QBs do. That's what Geno is. Expecting more just leads to disappointment. Like yesterday, when it mattered.

Optimus25

Reaction score
5-10 more yards may well have not mattered anyway.
The kick went sideways (wind?) I don't know but it was
not close in aim or distance.
That’s not how this works. In the 55+ range a kicker is in his own head about all the necessary factors because it’s not a high percentage kick.

40-45 range and they’re just going through their motions and much more likely to hit a square and true kick.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
5-10 more yards may well have not mattered anyway.
The kick went sideways (wind?) I don't know but it was
not close in aim or distance.
It was a windy day outside, but I don't know how much of that strong wind got into SoFi, the air pockets are near the roof. It's a weird stadium. I think he felt he needed to get some extra juice to make a 55-yarder, and sometimes that does mess up a kicker's mechanics.

James in PA

Reaction score
Welp, its the next day and Im still furious about that boneheaded decision. Usually I get over losses pretty quickly -- not this time. No situational awareness whatsoever. This is a dumb, poorly coached team.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
There was PLENTY of time to complete another 5-10 yard pass and spike it. Anywhere on the field. The QB has to know the situation. I appreciate his toughness coming back in at the end. There's zero doubt about his grit.
Also, they went almost 3 quarters w/out a 3rd down conversion. This is a massive problem with this team. They had no business losing that game.
Yet here we are.

themunn

Reaction score
I'm of the view that unless you already have the next play lined up (i.e. 2 plays in a row called in the huddle), then with less than 30 seconds left and 0 time outs, first down should always be a spike.

Definitely found it a bit odd. I mean I can understand calling a run play if the formation looks promising especially on the edge of FG range - post completion it would have been a 57 yard attempt and the 2 yard run took it to 55 - if Rams are playing soft in the middle and you think you can get an easy 5 or 6 there then all of a sudden it's a pretty great move - you know that the Rams will be defending the sidelines heavily, but even then I think you spike the ball first and give yourself time to assess then run the ball on 2nd down, rather than go straight for it. Just seemed a bit rushed

WarHawks

Reaction score
Well, at least he wasn't called for another delay of game penalty. Winning. Sigh.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
In theory, although he should have spiked it, I would've liked them to call a running play anyway. Just from a playcalling perspective.

I wouldn't want to keep trying to test boundary routes with Geno's arm in the state it was. Begging for trouble, that is.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I'm hardly going to shit all over the end of the game sequence for either defense or offense, though. It wasn't perfect, but it was enough for a shot they shouldn't have had.

My problem lies, again, with Waldron simply not being capable of calling an offense that compliments his units or manages any game situation decently. The ineptitude that goes from the end of gameplanned scripted plays to the moment when they're up against the wall is squarely on him. That didn't happen with Schottenheimer. I know it's specific to Waldron.

thegameq

Reaction score
It is frustrating because a run made zero sense. It had to be called at the line.

I know I’m in the minority but tonight’s loss didn’t bother me a ton. I feel like I know what this team is and it was a good game. Hopefully we can sneak a win or two in this next 4 and shock everyone
This is where I'm at with this team. They are what they are and Geno is what he is. Hope for the best the rest of the season, but don't be surprised if things go sideways.

Apathy starting to set in......

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm hardly going to shit all over the end of the game sequence for either defense or offense, though. It wasn't perfect, but it was enough for a shot they shouldn't have had.

My problem lies, again, with Waldron simply not being capable of calling an offense that compliments his units or manages any game situation decently. The ineptitude that goes from the end of gameplanned scripted plays to the moment when they're up against the wall is squarely on him. That didn't happen with Schottenheimer. I know it's specific to Waldron.
I just don't see the same thing you guys do. Multiple times Geno has what's needed to make a play and doesn't and then we shit all over the OC when the play called should've been executed. Go re-watch games, I would bet money you will see multiple plays were guys are wide open and Geno just isnt making the read or the throw. Waldron has done some odd stuff to and seems to give up on the run game at odd times so not defending him but I guess I write all of this to say I think we give the OC more blame than he deserves at times and execution is as big or more of a problem.

Ozzy

Reaction score
The run was fine. It got us into the same range that Myers made a kick from earlier.
56 yarder is never an easy kick especially when you could've made it a 45 yarder. It was a mistake and its ok call it that. It wasn't a back breaker but I guarantee he got coached up to not do that if that situation arises again.

knownone

Reaction score
56 yarder is never an easy kick especially when you could've made it a 45 yarder. It was a mistake and its ok call it that. It wasn't a back breaker but I guarantee he got coached up to not do that if that situation arises again.
I don't think it was a mistake. But it's ok if you want to call it one.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
How in the world was it not a mistake? He had 20 seconds to get them closer. It absolutely was a mistake. Just because it's the almighty Geno Smith, doesn't change facts. He failed to do his job in that situation. Yes, he got them down there, but looked utterly confused and panicked when it came time to get them 5-10 more yards. I would like to think that people would expect more from the starting QB.

Latest posts