Geno running the ball after pass to DK(little time left)

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Alright after a week of arguing this on here it was obvious a run was the wrong idea. Every football kind, ex player, coach etc have all said a run was probably the last choice their based on situation. Was it a back breaker? Probably not but a couple in here arguing it was the best choice are in the minority by far. Who cares at this point I guess? I just wanted to get that off my chest 😜
I don't think it's obvious. There are very sound football reasons that I, and others, are backing that opinion up with.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I don't think it's obvious. There are very sound football reasons that I, and others, are backing that opinion up with.
I don't think you're all wrong and I was just having some fun with it but after taking it all in this week that is a massive minority. I think its safe to say most coaches, players etc would say it was probably the least viable option of the 3. Again I think its defensible but almost no one would've gone that route. I'm mostly giving Knownone a hard time lol

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Know the situation, not much to expect from a veteran QB.

I think we're past the point in the discussion where we're arguing over "knowing the situation." There's significantly more nuance to the situation than can be fit into simple buckets of "right" and "wrong." This is true of most matters in the NFL. Football is a hard sport to quantify.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fair enough. There are SEVERAL people talking about how bad of a choice that was. Including local media. It's not THE reason they lost, just was shocked at how confused Geno and the coaches looked in that situation.

BASF

Reaction score
Late to the discussion, however I'd like to point out that Carroll led teams almost never spike it to stop the clock unless it is to set up the field goal. He believes in momentum more than pretty much any coach I have ever seen since starting to watch football in 1980. He loves to use the phrase we were rolling, because good ol' mo is so important to him. He doesn't want his QB to spike it to give the defense the chance to rest, regroup and adjust to what we are doing. Keeping us rolling and them reeling is the goal.

The momentum thing is also the reason behind a lot of his challenges that you can tell will fail. The challenge process takes a lot longer than a normal timeout, so why not throw the flag? This is especially true on a turnover.

I don't necessarily agree with the philosophy, but I do understand it.