Geno Isn't the Guy. Sad to Say (Main)

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I don't need one. I'M TALKING ABOUT GENO SMITH. I don't give a rip what other QB's are doing. Just because a guy drops a horrible throw, that doesn't mean that said horrible throw didn't happen. Sweet Jesus, the excuses this guy gets.

He has 5 picks in 3 games. He has been forcing the ball a LOT this year. If you're not concerned, that's on you. I am.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Thanks to the Defense, often. That's fine, we all see it how we see it. He is capable of playing a lot better, and he better if this team wants to take it deep in the playoffs.
Same argument every week. Geno has an off game, excuses roll in. If someone doesn't act like he walks on water, they're a "hater"

thegameq

Reaction score
Man this has turned out to be a long thread.

I'll just add my two cents with the following: I don't hate Geno. At all. He seems like a really good guy and good teammate at this point in his career.

I'm simply concerned that he may be holding the team back. If this team has the talent to really compete this season and he's holding everything back, that's what I don't want to see happen.

I like him based on how he performs lol
I think that's what's really irking some fans. You look at this offense and all the talent, coupled with a McVay disciple and people think (myself included) we would be tearing it up. We are the second coming of the Rams offense........hasn't worked out that way though. Geno turns into the whipping boy because of his mistakes (justifiable) and comparison the Russ's heroics. Oddly, the defense is on the way up and the offense is on the way down.

Strange, I remember the offense going up when the LOB started heading down. There's a correlation somewhere in there with cap space, injuries and so forth at the time.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't need one. I'M TALKING ABOUT GENO SMITH. I don't give a rip what other QB's are doing. Just because a guy drops a horrible throw, that doesn't mean that said horrible throw didn't happen. Sweet Jesus, the excuses this guy gets.

He has 5 picks in 3 games. He has been forcing the ball a LOT this year. If you're not concerned, that's on you. I am.

Geno's middle of the pack in picks.

Still too many? Yes. But I think we need to differentiate between picks and red zone picks. Half his picks are in the red zone, and that's three too many.

You still want him to take risks and rip balls into tight windows. Sometimes that means interceptions. But again, it's the red zone picks that need to be cleaned up. Not just throwing an average amount of them.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Geno's middle of the pack in picks.

Still too many? Yes. But I think we need to differentiate between picks and red zone picks. Half his picks are in the red zone, and that's three too many.

You still want him to take risks and rip balls into tight windows. Sometimes that means interceptions. But again, it's the red zone picks that need to be cleaned up. Not just throwing an average amount of them.
Seahawks 🤝 RZ INT.

knownone

Reaction score
TWP is an excellent way for fans to contextualize what they've seen. You see the QB throw a bad pass; it bounces off the defender's hands. It wasn't an interception, but it could have been. TWP gives you a way to describe that (somewhat) objectively.

As a QB evaluation tool, TWP is not very helpful. There are far too many underlying variables that have nothing to do with the QB. For example, the WR runs the wrong route, which leads to a TWP.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, pretty much EVERY bad throw or pick must have been on the receiver. Sometimes? Absolutely. But you would think Geno is Pat Mahomes at his best the way some people come to defend him. He needs to play a lot better, that's not much to ask.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Yep, pretty much EVERY bad throw or pick must have been on the receiver. Sometimes? Absolutely. But you would think Geno is Pat Mahomes at his best the way some people come to defend him. He needs to play a lot better, that's not much to ask.
Once favoritism or homerism is instilled, it's hard to shake it off.

Look, I don't think Geno is a bad person and he's certainly a better QB than I'll ever be in two lifetimes, let alone one, but he is the definition of painfully average in the grand scheme of NFL quarterbacks. After ten years of Geno, everyone knows what Geno can do. Place him with a good coaching staff and surround him with complimentary talent and a good defense, he'll win you some games. However, those thinking he's a generational talent, the QB of the future, "our guy" moving forward, are hopelessly drowning themselves in the cool-aid.

I'm in the camp that Geno is our starter this year, let him do his job because Lock is certainly no better, but we need to be looking to get a young gun from the draft. Trading a 2nd Rounder for Williams hurts because the last two years we've been getting great value for our 2nd Rounders, and the idea of Williams being rental for 10 games and he walks makes me sick and that pick, or combined with our first to trade up, could get us a QB in a pretty thick QB class.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
If we see Geno at his best, they can do some damage.
Williams is going to re-sign, not worried about that one bit. Pete and John have a history of getting "rentals" who they retain.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
If we see Geno at his best, they can do some damage.
Williams is going to re-sign, not worried about that one bit. Pete and John have a history of getting "rentals" who they retain.
I just have flashbacks of Sheldron Richardson. 2nd Rounder in his trade and he walked.

Nunya

Reaction score
I'm actually kind of surprised that you are taking such an aggressive stance on this. To me, you always seemed to be a guy that understood that we (as lowly forumites) really do not know what is true story is. Maybe Geno was told to take more chances with his throws and let his receivers make the play. Maybe there is a breakdown in communication between Geno and his receivers. Myself, I pretty much have faith the the coaches (and Geno) are seeing the same things we are and will adjust as needed. Every play is normally gone over with a fine tooth comb to make improvements and eliminate failures.

Nunya

Reaction score
Once favoritism or homerism is instilled, it's hard to shake it off.

Look, I don't think Geno is a bad person and he's certainly a better QB than I'll ever be in two lifetimes, let alone one, but he is the definition of painfully average in the grand scheme of NFL quarterbacks. After ten years of Geno, everyone knows what Geno can do. Place him with a good coaching staff and surround him with complimentary talent and a good defense, he'll win you some games. However, those thinking he's a generational talent, the QB of the future, "our guy" moving forward, are hopelessly drowning themselves in the cool-aid.

I'm in the camp that Geno is our starter this year, let him do his job because Lock is certainly no better, but we need to be looking to get a young gun from the draft. Trading a 2nd Rounder for Williams hurts because the last two years we've been getting great value for our 2nd Rounders, and the idea of Williams being rental for 10 games and he walks makes me sick and that pick, or combined with our first to trade up, could get us a QB in a pretty thick QB class.
What exactly does the "QB of the future" look like? Most high round drafted QBs are often not successful. As I have mentioned before, Geno's stats as a Seahawk are better then any other Seahawk QB we have had, other than Wilson. Personally, I think it is much better for the team in the long run to have an average QB with an average paycheck and build a complete team then to have a elite QB with an elite paycheck that leaves major gaps at other positions.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm actually kind of surprised that you are taking such an aggressive stance on this. To me, you always seemed to be a guy that understood that we (as lowly forumites) really do not know what is true story is. Maybe Geno was told to take more chances with his throws and let his receivers make the play. Maybe there is a breakdown in communication between Geno and his receivers. Myself, I pretty much have faith the the coaches (and Geno) are seeing the same things we are and will adjust as needed. Every play is normally gone over with a fine tooth comb to make improvements and eliminate failures.

I think Pete and Shane watch tape with Geno and point out that he sometimes misses guys, or after a pick is hesitant to throw (like the JSN wide open miss in the Bengals game), and are trying to coach him up on when to take chances and when not too.

It's a fine balance for any QB, including Geno. He seems to come out slinging it confidently, but when he throws a pick or a close pick, he get's hesitant and cautious.

But again, not unique to Geno. Russ used to do the same thing. Confidence is so key with QB's, game to game and series to series.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
What exactly does the "QB of the future" look like? Most high round drafted QBs are often not successful. As I have mentioned before, Geno's stats as a Seahawk are better then any other Seahawk QB we have had, other than Wilson. Personally, I think it is much better for the team in the long run to have an average QB with an average paycheck and build a complete team then to have a elite QB with an elite paycheck that leaves major gaps at other positions.
If you want Jimmy G that's fine. I want Patrick Mahomes.

Mahomes is not gonna just win games, he's gonna set the tone and is a legitimate game changer. A great QB elevates others around them. Not a lot of NFL fans out there tell themselves, "You know who I want? Ryan Tannehill." Yeah, no, they want Mahomes, or Joe Burrow, Josh Allen, or Jalen Hurts.

A QB of the future is gonna be someone who is on your roster for 10+ years, whereas Geno isn't going to be that. in 10 years he'll be 45. You know what QB kept playing till they were 45? Tom Brady. Geno ain't Tom Brady.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nah, just tired of hearing excuse after excuse every time he makes a mistake. Many are on him, and some are probably on his WR.
I think I've made my point more than enough. Hopefully Geno kills it the rest of the year. We need him.

Nunya

Reaction score
I think Pete and Shane watch tape with Geno and point out that he sometimes misses guys, or after a pick is hesitant to throw (like the JSN wide open miss in the Bengals game), and are trying to coach him up on when to take chances and when not too.

It's a fine balance for any QB, including Geno. He seems to come out slinging it confidently, but when he throws a pick or a close pick, he get's hesitant and cautious.

But again, not unique to Geno. Russ used to do the same thing. Confidence is so key with QB's, game to game and series to series.
I agree and noticed that same thing with Geno and Wilson. The truly great QBs usually act like they've never thrown a pick in their lives after they just threw one.