Do you want Geno next season?

Do you want Geno back at QB next season?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Some of us dont like getting bounced in the first round constantly and thats what Pete Carroll and Geno Smith gives you.
Well, beginning of the year, it was 5 games that this combo would supposedly get us. Maybe they can keep the "prove .netters wrong" train going.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Best thing for Geno is a well rounded team that can take advantage of his 2-3 yr window of above average QB play to make a deep playoff run.

The Hawks won’t be that team for a least a couple years so for them it’s a waste of cap and time that could be spent developing another QB.

TwilightError

Reaction score
A long expensive contract to him would be the worst possible thing to do. He is 33 and when looking at his career, this year could just as well have been a fluke than it could have been his new standard.

I can live with one more year of Geno. Maybe with a tag. But that is only if there is also a promising young QB fighting for his spot.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Yes, but I also want a first round drafted QB. Now is the time we can, so we need to take advantage of the moment.

Statistically franchise QBs overwhelmingly come in the first round. Defensive first round picks, bust at a higher rate too. Fact is, you can't win the draft lottery on QBs if you don't roll the dice.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
For say, 25 mil for 3 years, heavily incentive laden, he's worth that. He took every snap didn't he? He's a known quantity. We still need to draft one too though, unless they're truly sold on Lock.

GemCity

Reaction score
A long expensive contract to him would be the worst possible thing to do. He is 33 and when looking at his career, this year could just as well have been a fluke than it could have been his new standard.

I can live with one more year of Geno. Maybe with a tag. But that is only if there is also a promising young QB fighting for his spot.
I don’t know if cumulatively, a year is a fluke. He’s certainly exceeded any expectations I heard of.

But….it could be Mahomes (ok, maybe not Mahomes) back there and I wouldn’t want us to shell out $30M+.

I’m very proud of Geno. His story is incredible. Patience, believing in yourself, and having one of the best damn QB seasons a Seahawk has ever had.

But I feel with the rookies we have this year, some of the younger guys we have as well, there would be a lot of good in drafting a QB this year to sit under Geno and begin the eventual takeover.

If we can get him for 3 more years at $25M per, that would be awesome (while still picking up a QB).

49ersNFCWsBest

Reaction score
He just got outplayed Mr. Irrelevant.
If Geno Smith had Kittle McCaffrey Aiyuk and Deebo along with the 49ers OLine?

It might be a different story.

I believe Jimmy G was MR IRRELEVANT considering the talent he had surrounding him.

Just a thought.

mrblitz

Reaction score
maybe we should try to get jake browning away from the bengals.

Bootsy51

Reaction score
As many wrote Here....Geno is not our Problem. First topic is a Solid Edge Rusher imo

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
He's a solid QB but he does have turnover issues and closer issues. He has shown flashes of brilliance yet moments of undisciplined football at the most inopportune times. So how do you measure that when it comes time to focus on contracts?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
The big issue with Geno is the drop off we saw as the season progressed. The last 5 games in particular were extremely brutal for him. His completion percentage dropped to 63% his QBR was in the lower 80s, and he had 8 TDs to 5 INTs. He also has the tendency to not come through when you need him. He's the type of player that seems to live in his head.

You can win games with Geno, but I'm afraid that with Geno you're getting a Ryan Tannehill level of QB. Not that Tannehill is a bad QB, but he's never going to be a QB that is ever going to get you over the top. There is precedent for QB's such as Geno that perform at MVP levels and also precedent for QB's such as Geno that go on crazy streaks and regress back to the mean.

I also saw that teams seemed to key in on some of Geno's tendencies as the season went on. Corners would lie in wait and jump his routes. He'd make some crazy stupid throws at times and he got away with a lot of potential INTs.

Also, is a guy like Smith worth it at over 30 mil a year? That's likely just going to be the baseline for negotiations. We have a high salary cap this year, but we also have the second least amount of players under contract. Our effective salary cap is going to be VERY tight.

He just screams to me the sort of player that Russell Wilson was. Good enough that you have to pay him a hell of a lot of money, not good enough to overcome the resource drain that contract entails. In addition to that, the defense is a MASSIVE liability that is thread bare at the moment. Three years in a row we were on pace to shatter some god awful historically bad marker such as most yards given up, most TD's given up, most run yards, etc, etc. Usually they rectify it come late season, but then they revert at inopportune times.

I think Geno is the sort of guy that gets you competing for the wildcard spots, but can't seal the deal, just like the guy we had before.

It might be advantageous to transition tag Geno, try to trade him and pour money and resources into rectifying this defense. We could go with Drew Lock and some rookie, or have Drew Lock be our Tarvaris Jackson for a year. Geno Smith just seems like a massive band-aid over a leaky sieve.

Fade

Reaction score
I'd love to keep Geno as I think the turnover issues experienced in the 2nd half of the season stem from him pressing, feeling like he has to score all of the time to keep up with the sorry defense.

But at the same time I also realize the defense isn't getting better anytime soon without changes at the top. So they should probably tag him and trade him, or take the comp pick.

It doesn't matter who the QB is, until the systemic issues are sorted on defense.

WarHawks

Reaction score
The big issue with Geno is the drop off we saw as the season progressed. The last 5 games in particular were extremely brutal for him. His completion percentage dropped to 63% his QBR was in the lower 80s, and he had 8 TDs to 5 INTs. He also has the tendency to not come through when you need him. He's the type of player that seems to live in his head.

You can win games with Geno, but I'm afraid that with Geno you're getting a Ryan Tannehill level of QB. Not that Tannehill is a bad QB, but he's never going to be a QB that is ever going to get you over the top. There is precedent for QB's such as Geno that perform at MVP levels and also precedent for QB's such as Geno that go on crazy streaks and regress back to the mean.

I also saw that teams seemed to key in on some of Geno's tendencies as the season went on. Corners would lie in wait and jump his routes. He'd make some crazy stupid throws at times and he got away with a lot of potential INTs.

Also, is a guy like Smith worth it at over 30 mil a year? That's likely just going to be the baseline for negotiations. We have a high salary cap this year, but we also have the second least amount of players under contract. Our effective salary cap is going to be VERY tight.

He just screams to me the sort of player that Russell Wilson was. Good enough that you have to pay him a hell of a lot of money, not good enough to overcome the resource drain that contract entails. In addition to that, the defense is a MASSIVE liability that is thread bare at the moment. Three years in a row we were on pace to shatter some god awful historically bad marker such as most yards given up, most TD's given up, most run yards, etc, etc. Usually they rectify it come late season, but then they revert at inopportune times.

I think Geno is the sort of guy that gets you competing for the wildcard spots, but can't seal the deal, just like the guy we had before.

It might be advantageous to transition tag Geno, try to trade him and pour money and resources into rectifying this defense. We could go with Drew Lock and some rookie, or have Drew Lock be our Tarvaris Jackson for a year. Geno Smith just seems like a massive band-aid over a leaky sieve.
This this this. I voted no. I like Geno, but I don't see the point in investing in him, when we could just save the $, run with Lock and/or a rookie for a year, and build up our D and Oline and invest in free agency. I don't see how the outcome would be any different. If he isn't the qbotf, then why make him the qb of the present at much greater cost, unless it's just for a year under the tag.

StoneCold

Reaction score
for the right price yes, we also must show up the Oline.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Is Purdy better than Geno? I say no, but Purdy has a great oline and multiple weapons.

HuskySeabird

Reaction score
Geno is not the answer in my opinion. He does a lot of things great except get wins.

He has poor pocket presents and holds the ball too long.

I don't know how many times I see him make a throw instead of running to the wide open field in front of him to get a first down.

His two turnovers yesterday are what he is..

Last edited:

CPHawk

Reaction score
Should trade the 5 and Geno for Herbert. Walden would be far better for him than that idiot Lombardi.

Jville

Reaction score
Simple question. Yes or no. Do you want Geno Smith back under center for the Seahawks next season?
Well, I managed to click on the wrong button. So the poll is now inaccurate. Because I actually want him back next year not gone.

Polls are so inaccurate.