Do you want Geno next season?

Do you want Geno back at QB next season?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Just got beat by a team with a great roster and Brock Purdy under center. That's a better model.

Geno is more than acceptable. Get him some more help and he may even improve a bit. A little more solid in the IOL, and he has a better step-up lane. Maybe a more reliable third option in the passing game. Some RB depth to stop the run game from sputtering.

They're ready to get after some postseason success with Geno, but they're not ready as a roster. Address that first.
I would argue it’s really rare and requires excellent drafting which other than last year we’ve been terrible in that regard. The problem is too you have 45 million to spend and if he eats up over half that your ability to add all the pieces you need to fix the roster get much harder, Russ in his prime was good enough to cover up a lot of shortcomings. I don’t think Geno is that guy at this stage.

But I don’t think you’re wrong either….for me it just has to be cheap AND there isn’t an elite QB they live at 5. If there is and you can pay him a rookie deal for 5 years it would’ve light years easier to build the roster and compete faster. I worry with Geno he’s decent but you can’t get much past 9-8 because you can’t fix other areas

hawker84

Reaction score
Yep, looking forward to seeing him behind a much improved OLine... and with a decent defense. Hopefully 🤞

Frozenropers

Reaction score
Re-sign Geno to a reasonable 2-3 year deal. Draft a QB early to learn behind him, draft a new center and DLine, Linebackers and a Safety. Continue to grow and developed.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I think Geno will be resigned. It’s going to be between $30-40. That’s just the nature of the beast. Probably a 2 year deal. Market value rules. The QB position is just plain expensive. Unless your offense is strong all around and can absorb a rookie and his growing pains. This formula can work as long as the defense is good and the strength of the team. This team, as it stands now cannot compete with a young inexperienced guy at QB. This offense helps Geno and Geno helps the offense.
While I’m fairly sure Geno will be back, I’m curious as to the fate of Lock. If both QBs are back, they won’t draft one. That would indicate they view Lock as the QBOTF. Fun times ahead. It’s certainly going to be an exciting offseason.

sutz

Reaction score
I heard somewhere that we should expect Geno to get around 3yr/$90-100 mill. That wouldn't scare me much, and could be constructed reasonably team-friendly to allow the rest to be done. If we go big on D in the draft, we could get some talent on rookie deals (hint-hint, fairly cheap). Same with O-line, where you can usually get decent guards and centers in the mid rounds (2-4).

If we get Geno to stay at $30-33 mill per year, that's hardly unreasonable for both parties. Geno's saying he wants to be here, he didn't say anything about discounts, though.

Lock is not guarantee to stay here, either. He's kind of Geno-adjacent in that he has some starting experience, but has been stuck at the #2 spot. The cost of good backup QBs is going up, too.

Do we really know what the cap will be in '23?

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Well, I managed to click on the wrong button. So the poll is now inaccurate. Because I actually want him back next year not gone.

Polls are so inaccurate.
Votes are still being counted. I'm sorry to hear that this happened

Donn2390

Reaction score
Well at least 62.5% of the posters in here have it right. 37.5 don't know what their talking about, which sounds about right after reading all of the posts for a while..
GO GENO ! GO HAWKS !

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
You pay Geno if a near .500 record is important to you. Geno will keep you competitive, but he will also strip your roster because you won't be able to pay people you need.
So sign Geno if you feel you must but be aware that squeaking into the wildcard game (occasionally) and getting bounced regularly in that game will be your future.

You will rarely, if ever, win another playoff game until the impact of his contract sheds off - and by that time his impact will be less too because he will be older.

If Geno is smart, he takes a lesser contract like a mid-level starter or even less, and goes to a team like the Dolphins or even Baltimore (he would fail in Baltimore but the Fins could win with him if Tua does not return). Find a team that is solid but just needs a QB. That ain't us.

Then again, I imagine that Pete could do whatever he did with Geno with another QB. So yet another reason not to pay him big money.

NOTE:
But if we pay Geno, might as well bone up on how the Vikings are doing. It isn't a terrible fate. But the Vikings are an example of what happens to teams that pay market rate for middle of the road QBs. It strips their roster and they stay a solid regular season team that really has no future in the playoffs. We would basically be the Seattle Vikings. Again not a terrible fate. High floor but low ceiling. Fun to watch in the regular season, occasionally makes the playoffs. Not really any kind of contender, nor will they be.

Last edited:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
He's definitely not the kind of qb who can take over a game and make miraculous comebacks. Good bridge qb for a year or two at most.
Bullshit ^
You're not even qualifying your statement with HOW MUCH Geno will come back to play for.
He's a Pro-bowl level Quarterback who's earned a decent effing payday, and YOU don't really even know what his demands will be.
One thing's for certain He is a KNOWN QUANTITY, and an UPGRADE to what we had with Russell Wilson.
Some of y'all are acting like he can be EASILY replaced with a ' Pig in a Poke' Draft pick, and that's the definition of DELUSIONAL.

Last edited:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
You pay Geno if a near .500 record is important to you. Geno will keep you competitive, but he will also strip your roster because you won't be able to pay people you need.
So sign Geno if you feel you must but be aware that squeaking into the wildcard game (occasionally) and getting bounced regularly in that game will be your future.

You will rarely, if ever, win another playoff game until the impact of his contract sheds off - and by that time his impact will be less too because he will be older.

If Geno is smart, he takes a lesser contract like a mid-level starter or even less, and goes to a team like the Dolphins or even Baltimore (he would fail in Baltimore but the Fins could win with him if Tua does not return). Find a team that is solid but just needs a QB. That ain't us.

Then again, I imagine that Pete could do whatever he did with Geno with another QB. So yet another reason not to pay him big money.

NOTE:
But if we pay Geno, might as well bone up on how the Vikings are doing. It isn't a terrible fate. But the Vikings are an example of what happens to teams that pay market rate for middle of the road QBs. It strips their roster and they stay a solid regular season team that really has no future in the playoffs. We would basically be the Seattle Vikings. Again not a terrible fate. High floor but low ceiling. Fun to watch in the regular season, occasionally makes the playoffs. Not really any kind of contender, nor will they be.
Okay then Twist, who the hell ya got to take over at Quarterback who is SURE FIRE????
NO ONE, that's who.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Best thing for Geno is a well rounded team that can take advantage of his 2-3 yr window of above average QB play to make a deep playoff run.

The Hawks won’t be that team for a least a couple years so for them it’s a waste of cap and time that could be spent developing another QB.
Okay, if not Geno, who the hell ya got that will keep the Seahawks Offense relevant ??? Crickets.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Bullshit ^
You're not even qualifying your statement with HOW MUCH Geno will come back to play for.
He's a Pro-bowl level Quarterback who's earned a decent effing payday, and YOU don't really even know what his demands will be.
One thing's for certain He is a KNOWN QUANTITY, and an UPGRADE to what we had with Russell Wilson.
Some of y'all are acting like he can be EASILY replaced with a ' Pig in a Poke' Draft pick, and that's the definition of DELUSIONAL.
Geno is the opposite of a known quantity.

We have no idea if he’s career back-up Geno, flaming hot first half of the year Geno, slumping second half Geno, or anywhere in between Geno. Hell he could even be 1/10/22 2AM Geno for all we know.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Okay, if not Geno, who the hell ya got that will keep the Seahawks Offense relevant ??? Crickets.
Journeyman bridge and draft a QB or two to develop. If you’re lucky you get starts out of a rookie during the year.

At his best Geno is a luxury for a team still needing a lot of development.

At his worst he‘s a malinvestment of dollars and development opportunity of a QB with more than 2-3 years of utility.

Of course the point is moot if Geno signs a budget deal to be that bridge and then you get the best of both worlds.

knownone

Reaction score
Keep him. Not even a debate for me.

Worst case scenario, you end up in a Cousins/Prescott-type situation. Best case, Geno's issues are related to our defense's ineptitude and our o-line's inexperience and lack of talent. If that's the cause of Geno's recent problems, he's a near-elite QB, and he'll be on a relatively bargain contract.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
2-3 year deal around 35 mill with incentives absolutely all in. The majority of this board banged on this guy from the start and we would be nothing. All he did was go out there and put up numbers. Just put his numbers out there for year and if you were to see those while saying you could sign a guy doing that for a sizable amount under what many are paying to QB’s you’d be all in. 2-3 year deal while allowing to draft a guy and learn a season or two is ideal. Someone mentioned if wanted to pay a .500 QB that yet this team wasn’t even supposed to be that all while getting 9 with having losses they could have pulled out but not because of him but a young defense. It’s like last year all over again, people wanting to draft a QB just to draft a QB even though the worst Draft class in history at the position. People clamored for Willis, a guy that people raved on yet showed looking to out of the league or journeyman PS guy. Imagine drafting him at 9 last year, has an awful year which many will just say because of youth and stuck with him furthermore putting this franchise behind.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Keep him. Not even a debate for me.

Worst case scenario, you end up in a Cousins/Prescott-type situation. Best case, Geno's issues are related to our defense's ineptitude and our o-line's inexperience and lack of talent. If that's the cause of Geno's recent problems, he's a near-elite QB, and he'll be on a relatively bargain contract.
Meh he had so many turnover worthy throws the second half of the year. Someone tracks those and his were really high. And I still fall back on the bad cap numbers right now it’s at 46 million, you’re not fixing the defense in year one with one draft unless you hit a home run and their track record isn’t very good at building the defense.