Do we 'hate' the Rams?

Do we hate the Rams?

• Yes, with a vengeance. I hate all our NFC West rivals!

Votes: 20 55.6%
  • Eh, I certainly don't like the Rams, but they don't hold a candle to my burning hatred of the 49ers!

Votes: 16 44.4%

• Total voters

Maulbert

Reaction score
So, I was going through the old Santa Clara Implosion thread, and saw a reference to a fellow Hawks fan who said he didn't hate the Rams at the time, and I realized, even now, while I don't like the Rams, I don't feel the deep-seeded burning hatred I have for the 49ers. I'm not even sure I hate them as much as I hated the Cards under Ol' Hot Dog Neck. While I certainly hated the way they got into the Super Bowl, I just don't hate McVay the way I did even Mr. 7-9. Am I the only one just not finding them interesting as rivals? They're just kind of... boring. Just not enough substance to get my good old fashioned sports hate on.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Haven't "hated" any team since the old AFC West rivalries.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
The NFC West is weird. Generally, success breeds that feeling of rivalry among fans. The Seahawks/Niners was a short lived rivalry, but happened because both teams were legit Super Bowl contenders at the same time.

The Rams/Niners is the longest rivalry in the NFC West and one of the longest in NFL history - but the teams took turns dominating each other for almost entire decades. The GSOT didn't last long enough for anyone to hate the Rams, and there was a realignment towards the end of it anyways.

For me, I only dislike Seattle because I dislike both Pete Carroll and Russell Wilson - and I disliked both of them from their college days. I "hated" them when they had Hasselbeck and Alexander - but mostly because they dominated the Rams for so long.

But for us at the end of the day, the Niners are the (much) more hated team. I don't think that Niners fans hate the Rams as much as we hate the Niners, and it mostly goes back to SOSAR and the 17 straight losses in the 90s.

I was just a kid, but I'll never forget watching the 42-20 win against the Niners to snap that streak in 1999 - and if my dad was hooked up to a lie detector, I think he would say that win was more satisfying than the Super Bowl win - and that's some true hatred right there.

rlkats

Reaction score
The Rams for me have been a family rivalry as long as I can remember. Can't say I hate em. But I love watching them lose (just to rub it in to family).
The hawks on the other hand I can't stomach, but that's completely because of Pete. I can't stand him. Other than that I dont mind the hawks either.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Surprised to see the hate for Pete here. I don't get it. I mean, back in day, Jeff Fischer was always one of my least favorite coaches, and I didn't have a lot of nice things to say about him. And Harbaugh, back in day, was just fun to make fun of. Never really hated him at all even when the rivalry was at its hottest.

I wouldn't say I hate any of our rivals, but the 49ers and Rams are probably more "hated" than the Cardinals. The Cardinals we usually sit back and laugh at and then get frustrated and pissed off that we can't beat them at home when we can demolish them in that giant bedpan in the desert.

The 49ers were fun to "hate" back when the rivalry was the hottest. Losses to them were crushing; wins were celebrated. But we've had long stretches where we absolutely dominated them, and it feels frustrating not to be there at all times.

The Rams have been a hot and cold rivalry, simply because there were few times when there was actually a rivalry for something that meant anything at all. Usually the stretches of us whipping their asses ten years in a row followed by them whipping our asses for a period of time dominated.

Truth be told, I think we as Seahawks fans still "hate" the Broncos, Chiefs, and Raiders (and okay fine the Chargers a bit) from our old AFC West rivalry days just as much or maybe even more sometimes.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The Rams have yet to earn my hate, personally.

Also, it's logical to hate Pete Carroll because Reggie Bush had his hands on every perk and penny he could find; duh.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkGA":9oetf90s said:

That's quitter talk...........now get back up, dust yourself off and get out there and hate someone!!!

I do hate the Rams, but for different reasons now. I used to hate them under Fisher and Williams because they were a dirty cheap shotting nonsense team that cared more about caving in your kneecap than actually winning the game.

Now I hate them because I'm tired of hearing what an amazing coach McVay is and being the darlings of the league when they haven't won a damn thing and their high flying amazing offense just got embarrassed and held to three points in the SB.

Add in the fact that the city of LA doesn't deserve a winner, it's the worst sports city in the country. I would use the word "bandwagon," but that denotes an ebb and flow of actual interest, of which there is none in LA for the Rams. Their games are full of fans from other teams.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":xkp3kedr said:
Surprised to see the hate for Pete here. I don't get it. I mean, back in day, Jeff Fischer was always one of my least favorite coaches, and I didn't have a lot of nice things to say about him. And Harbaugh, back in day, was just fun to make fun of. Never really hated him at all even when the rivalry was at its hottest.

I wouldn't say I hate any of our rivals, but the 49ers and Rams are probably more "hated" than the Cardinals. The Cardinals we usually sit back and laugh at and then get frustrated and pissed off that we can't beat them at home when we can demolish them in that giant bedpan in the desert.

The 49ers were fun to "hate" back when the rivalry was the hottest. Losses to them were crushing; wins were celebrated. But we've had long stretches where we absolutely dominated them, and it feels frustrating not to be there at all times.

The Rams have been a hot and cold rivalry, simply because there were few times when there was actually a rivalry for something that meant anything at all. Usually the stretches of us whipping their asses ten years in a row followed by them whipping our asses for a period of time dominated.

Truth be told, I think we as Seahawks fans still "hate" the Broncos, Chiefs, and Raiders (and okay fine the Chargers a bit) from our old AFC West rivalry days just as much or maybe even more sometimes.

Totally understand the AFC West rivalry comment - Rams/Niners goes back long and it's just different than the Seahawks or Cardinals. I would imagine most older Seahawks fans would feel the same.

My dislike for Seattle was accelerated by Carroll. Really, really, really disliked him at USC. When he went to Seattle it was a natural evolution for me to keep disliking him. When the Reggie Bush stuff came out, made me dislike him even more - not for what happened, but for what appeared to be bailing. Whether that's all true or not, that's how I see it and I've just never liked the guy.

I live in Columbus, Ohio and am an Ohio State fan. Even though Wilson only played one year in the big ten and lost to OSU, you couldn't get away from people talking about him. I started to dislike his game right away. Once again, going to Seattle was just a natural evolution to keep disliking him.

I didn't begin to understand football until the mid/late 90s - so my hate for the Niners is mostly inherited from my Dad. When Seattle had beaten us 10 times in a row or whatever it was, they were high up on my list for sure - but once Fisher came and we started beating Seattle almost once a year, that calmed down a bit.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Ramfan128":yitg2dh3 said:
My dislike for Seattle was accelerated by Carroll. Really, really, really disliked him at USC. When he went to Seattle it was a natural evolution for me to keep disliking him. When the Reggie Bush stuff came out, made me dislike him even more - not for what happened, but for what appeared to be bailing. Whether that's all true or not, that's how I see it and I've just never liked the guy..

If most Seahawk fans were being honest, we all said these same things about Pete when he first got here.

I didn't like him at USC, I thought he was a cheesy snake oil salesman that used his charm and BS to talk 5 star high school recruits into attending USC so he could dominate.

But after seeing him coach for almost a decade, I now see that he really does have a genuine love and reverence for not only the game of football, but teaching and coaching it.

Don't get me wrong, I still have some big issues with some of his schemes, X's and O's philosophy and terrible game management...........but in the end Carroll will be known as one of the greatest ambassadors and teachers of the game of football ever.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":6v88jnzk said:
Ramfan128":6v88jnzk said:
My dislike for Seattle was accelerated by Carroll. Really, really, really disliked him at USC. When he went to Seattle it was a natural evolution for me to keep disliking him. When the Reggie Bush stuff came out, made me dislike him even more - not for what happened, but for what appeared to be bailing. Whether that's all true or not, that's how I see it and I've just never liked the guy..

If most Seahawk fans were being honest, we all said these same things about Pete when he first got here.

I didn't like him at USC, I thought he was a cheesy snake oil salesman that used his charm and BS to talk 5 star high school recruits into attending USC so he could dominate.

But after seeing him coach for almost a decade, I now see that he really does have a genuine love and reverence for not only the game of football, but teaching and coaching it.

Don't get me wrong, I still have some big issues with some of his schemes, X's and O's philosophy and terrible game management...........but in the end Carroll will be known as one of the greatest ambassadors and teachers of the game of football ever.

I gave Pete more slack than most when we hired him. I at least wanted to give him a couple seasons. I remember defending the hire to my dad, who thought it was terrible. A lot of people called him a retread, but when I looked into his history in the NFL, I felt like the Jets didn't give him a fair shake, plus, his successor won fewer games than he did in twice the time. As for New England, he never had a losing season, and made the playoffs twice without any say in personnel. His career record was 33-31, and in a league that kept hiring Norv Turner, I've seen worse. Besides, it was hard to overlook his USC success. So, yeah, I didn't hate the choice. I didn't believe he could be worse than Tom Flores, Dennis Erickson, or Jim Mora, Jr.

chris98251

Reaction score
Maulbert":1hag1r2f said:
Sgt. Largent":1hag1r2f said:
Ramfan128":1hag1r2f said:

I gave Pete more slack than most when we hired him. I at least wanted to give him a couple seasons. I remember defending the hire to my dad, who thought it was terrible. A lot of people called him a retread, but when I looked into his history in the NFL, I felt like the Jets didn't give him a fair shake, plus, his successor won fewer games than he did in twice the time. As for New England, he never had a losing season, and made the playoffs twice without any say in personnel. His career record was 33-31, and in a league that kept hiring Norv Turner, I've seen worse. Besides, it was hard to overlook his USC success. So, yeah, I didn't hate the choice. I didn't believe he could be worse than Tom Flores, Dennis Erickson, or Jim Mora, Jr.

Such a high bar to jump over surprised Pete could do it :)

chris98251

Reaction score
Hate is hard these days, with Fisher it wasn't hard because you know he told his players to play dirty and coached that way. But Hateing a team used to be a lot easier because they had personality, Raiders had AL and his Mentality Just Win Baby and took all the cast offs and problem children in the league and won with them, they told you what they were going to do and did it.

Cowboys are the easiest team to hate these days, Jerry and his Glory Holes, they still think of themselves as Americas Team as well as the somewhat subdued these days but still there arrogance.

Us the Seahawks with Sherman and the LOB, Sherm ran his mouth and the team backed it up, other teams hated us because of that.

The Falcons with Deion Sanders, much like us with Sherman.

The Rams with Martz and Faulk and Bruce, Faulk and Martz mostly. Martz would run his mouth as their coach and we know about Faulk and his mouth as well.

Steelers when Bradshaw was there and LC Greenwood Ham Mean Joe Green and Shaun Alexander oops I mean Franco Harris. and that secondary.

Detroit with Alex Karras and Night Train Lane back in the day.

Bears with Butkus and Halas.

You get the drift a personality of team and players and success of that combination drives hate.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
chris98251":2y9tteaf said:
Hate is hard these days, with Fisher it wasn't hard because you know he told his players to play dirty and coached that way. But Hateing a team used to be a lot easier because they had personality, Raiders had AL and his Mentality Just Win Baby and took all the cast offs and problem children in the league and won with them, they told you what they were going to do and did it.

Cowboys are the easiest team to hate these days, Jerry and his Glory Holes, they still think of themselves as Americas Team as well as the somewhat subdued these days but still there arrogance.

Us the Seahawks with Sherman and the LOB, Sherm ran his mouth and the team backed it up, other teams hated us because of that.

The Falcons with Deion Sanders, much like us with Sherman.

The Rams with Martz and Faulk and Bruce, Faulk and Martz mostly. Martz would run his mouth as their coach and we know about Faulk and his mouth as well.

Steelers when Bradshaw was there and LC Greenwood Ham Mean Joe Green and Shaun Alexander oops I mean Franco Harris. and that secondary.

Detroit with Alex Karras and Night Train Lane back in the day.

Bears with Butkus and Halas.

You get the drift a personality of team and players and success of that combination drives hate.

Don't forget the Cheatriots. Most people hate Darth Hoodie and Shady Brady. They never met an unbendable rule they couldn't turn into a broken one.

six sigma

Reaction score
I...sort of hate the Rams, same as the rest of the division. Funny how each team has a couple of players that I just love, though. (Larry Fitz and Badger before he left, for example) Donald is a wrecking crew.

I grew up despising the Raiders and Donkeys, and still do. Would put our NFC rivals a notch below that. Have also always loathed Dallas the most of all, regardless of division. That made our most recent playoff exit really special. :evil:

xray

Reaction score
HawkGA":3iuxlyjh said:

especially Denver.... :twisted:

xray

Reaction score
I don't hate any of our division rivals. When the NFC west was called the best division in the NFL more than once ; that took the whole 4 teams to be pretty good. This season , our division has 3 teams that could take the division title . May the best team win....but GO HAWKS

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I enjoyed the rivalry with the niners in the teens. I absolutely hated the Rams of the 00's and it has had no problems transferring to current times.

Latest posts