CJ Stroud?

toffee

Reaction score
CJ Stroud, a west coast boy from Rancho Cucamonga, could he be our next QB? A few things that I have read:
  1. Ideal size, strong arm.
  2. He is very accurate, may be the most accurate among this year's QBs.
  3. His QB rating plummeted under pressure, he was well protected by his line, he may not enjoy the same protection in the league.
  4. Under pressure, he didn't show much mobility, although he was billed as a dual threat coming out of college.
  5. Refused to be tested at the combine, does he has athleticism issues?
So it came down to poise under pressure, and mobility. Not sure if poise can be taught or worked on, but mobility? Can our new QB coach Greg Olsen help him to reach the next level? He may be available at #5? Would he be happily holding a clipboard for Geno?

PgeOPlRx

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Not sure I follow. I'd say the chances of us ending up with Stroud are pretty close to zero.
True but not impossible, Panther could take Young, and Richardson is showing high ceiling, then there's Carter and Anderson. Still unlikely that Stroud could drop to #5, but not impossible?

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I am expecting Stroud and Young to go 1&2 with the next 3 picks to be any combination of Levis, Anderson and Richardson
My guess Colts will have a choice between Levis and Richardson and will pick Levis due to being able to play sooner. When Seattle picks will have a choice between Richardson which I don’t think is a slam dunk.

I use the Terrelle Pryor comparison for the highly athletic QBs who IMO was a better athlete than Richardson but his ability to throw a football was pretty poor. Richardson wasn’t able to test at the combine due to the tattoo fiasco he was off the charts especially with a 4.3 40 for a 6’5” 240 lb was incredible and was a terror in the open field. Pryor was a living example of a highly athletic player failing as a QB.

Not sure JS will bite on Richardson but they could get a worth while trade offer I would be open if not pick who is left from the 4 QBs and Richardson

WarHawks

Reaction score
Hawks are really the best fit for Richardson in terms of being able to sit and develop for a while behind Geno. But it's definitely a high risk move. Hooker with our 2nd round pick would be a much more low risk/high reward/high value move. That said, sometimes players fall in the draft inexplicably, like Rodgers. No one knows for certain who will be available. That's what makes it so compelling.

Last edited:

AgentDib

Reaction score
Think Panther will take stroud over young?
In addition to the McCown video, Frank Reich has had a long series of tall pocket passing QBs. Andrew Luck (6'4"), Philip Rivers (6'5"), Matt Ryan (6'4"), Carson Wentz (6'5"), Jacoby Brissett (6'4"). While he hasn't been in charge of picking those guys, he has the Carolina job largely on the basis of his work with those QBs. The widespread assumption is that Reich is going to go with what has worked for him in the past.

Furthermore, when you look at a team like Carolina that trades all the way from #9 to #1 it seems unlikely that they are spending that capital for a big gamble on a small QB or a developmental QB.

CJ Stroud is the huge favorite in Vegas right now because he checks both of those boxes. Richardson and Bryce are in the next tier as possible but unlikely, and Levis is in a much lower as extremely unlikely (50 to 1).

CactusJack

Reaction score
Someone is going to get a nice QB in Hooker in the 2nd round. Perhaps it will be us. Injury and age are killing his stock. Poor Levis. Everyone sh*ts on this guy. I think he will be better than people think. He's at least gonna have a major chip on his shoulder.
Agreed. Hooker will end up going early on Day 2.

I've been off the Levis train since the very beginning. I'm praying that the Colts fall on that grenade.

Last edited:

Ozzy

Reaction score
He’s either gone at 1 or 2 with Young. I would love to have Stroud though

massari

Reaction score

His rankings from past drafts were mostly pretty solid though

1. Lamar Jackson
  2. Josh Allen
  3. Baker Mayfield
  4. Sam Darnold
  5. Josh Rosen