Article on the potential of the new D scheme

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
So we ran the 3-4 all 3 times we made it to the supperbowl ?

You're the most delusional individual I've ever come across on the the Internet. I'd suggest seeing a doctor before your shooting rampage.
How you could possibly make an attempt at reading my post and somehow come away thinking it said that eludes me. Genuinely.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Oh blue, please wake up, you're having a bad dream.

The 3-4 is a bad scheme which won't last long before going back to the tried and true 4-3 stack.
And yet again, you base that on absolutely nothing

Chawker

Reaction score
And you base a defense if the sam LBer plays a step or two closer to the line its a 3-4 defense ? What do you call it when adams comes up in the box, a 4-6 defense ? Get real.

toffee

Reaction score
Our defense last year was not good, certainly hurt my eyes watching them. BUT BUT BUT, our defense averaged 21.5 points a game, including those end of season games when their legs were basically gone after SUFFERING long minutes on the field, helllloooo offense.

Folks 21.5 points a game, no more than three of the conference championship teams!!!!
Rams 21.9 points
9ers 21.5 points
Bengals 22.1 points
Chiefs 21.4 points

Think about that one.

Scout

Reaction score
In the modern NFL you need a competent defense and not necessarily an elite defense. The 34 allows more flexibility in terms of coverages, blitzing and also cap savings.

A one gap 34 versus a one gap 43 is not going to be a noticeable difference to an average fan. Seahawks are going to mix 34 and 43 concepts like the Patriots, Rams, Ravens, Bucs, etc all do.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
And you base a defense if the sam LBer plays a step or two closer to the line its a 3-4 defense ? What do you call it when adams comes up in the box, a 4-6 defense ? Get real.
That's not at all what was said, and I'm having doubts at this point that you're capable of reading what was actually written.

The 4-3 under used by Seattle previously is notably similar in several principles to a 3-4 style look. Two gapping linemen, and yes, an on-ball SAM. Any 4-3 under defense employing Red Bryant in a big end role OBVIOUSLY is sharing something in principle with hybrid 3-4 defenses.

Furthermore, how about the bear front run has a base package heavily throughout the last 2 years? You think that's a "4-3 stack?" It's not. The SAM is literally an edge defender in that bear base, not an off-ball linebacker.

You're acting like Seattle is saying "oh yeah, yep, base 3-4 with no variation." You're also acting like Seattle has run strictly 4-3 up to this point in the Carroll regime. You're severely mistaken on both counts.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Oh blue, please wake up, you're having a bad dream.

The 3-4 is a bad scheme which won't last long before going back to the tried and true 4-3 stack.

I get the why some might stan over Russ but you might be the first I’ve seen stan over a Defensive Alignment.

But you don’t have to worry cause if you listen, this defense looks like it’s 3-4 in principle but more of amoeba defense with counter schemes. You’ll likely still see a fair amount of 4-3 under.

Chawker

Reaction score
The difference between a 4-3 and a 3-4 is the number of down linemen, this hybrid you're talking about is a facetious delusion born with in the mind of a gilted fan, with the grandger of being smarter then god.

The sam LBer can line up anywhere he wants if there is 4 down linemen then its a 4-3, this 3-4 hybrid is all in YOUR head. Not mine !

You just like to think you're so smart, but your not,... That or you just like to argue.

4 down line 4-3. 3 down linemen 3-4. Maybe you need to do a recount.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
The difference between a 4-3 and a 3-4 is the number of down linemen, this hybrid you're talking about is a facetious delusion born with in the mind of a gilted fan, with the grandger of being smarter then god.

The sam LBer can line up anywhere he wants if there is 4 down linemen then its a 4-3, this 3-4 hybrid is all in YOUR head. Not mine !

You just like to think you're so smart, but your not,... That or you just like to argue.

4 down line 4-3. 3 down linemen 3-4. Maybe you need to do a recount.
Okay, so I think we're getting somewhere. You're visually misunderstanding these alignments, as each have significant variation.

What defense is this? Ignore the assignments. Just look at the alignment.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
4-3 ^ gaps have nothing to do with alignments. Snap out of it... Jeez
It's a 4-3 under, and I specifically said ignore the gap assignments for that exact reason. You'd know if you had read the post. Kind of a recurring theme.

Anyway, what's this, then?

Attachments

• 20220701_102352.jpg
    20220701_102352.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 12

chrispy

Reaction score
Pete's always run a hybrid. Remember when every Tom, Dick and Harry were qualified as a DC because they knew the word LEO? Pete's D has always revolved around personnel. Some new staff grew up elsewhere, but I predict there will be a lot of pre-snap looks that seem really familiar but are called something slightly different.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
It's a 4-3 under, and I specifically said ignore the gap assignments for that exact reason. You'd know if you had read the post. Kind of a recurring theme.

Anyway, what's this, then?
What does a “4-3 under” mean? When I look at that first picture it looks to me like the 5-2 we ran way back in HS.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
What does a “4-3 under” mean? When I look at that first picture it looks to me like the 5-2 we ran way back in HS.
It's a little tricky because they look similar - just like the 3-4. Usually have 5 guys at the LOS.

Simply put, I'd suppose for it to be a 5-2 instead of a 4-3, the stand-up SAM backer would be replaced with a bigger down lineman. So DE-DT-NT-DT-DE, rather than Seattle's previous mainstay base 4-3 under LEO-3t-1t-5t-SAM.

Chawker

Reaction score
Now a 5-2..... If the MLBer turn s 90 degrees towards the TE and the DC waves his hand frantically you a call it a 1 adam 12. :ROFLMAO: