Are the Seahawks meeting expectations

Aircrew

Reaction score
I think it's interesting reading comments about the Hawks this year. Most people thought that the Hawks would be a wild card team and maybe get to the second round. They are on track to do that and possibly exceed that expectation.

But the comments on this board make me feel like the expectation is secretly higher. They have a top 10 D and they have a top 10 Offense so far but there is very little enthusiasm.

It's like because the Hawks are not exceeding the expectation and playing like a SB contender right NOW that the season is garbage. But let me remind you what your expectation was! Why has that expectation changed?

For me, I didn't exactly know what to expect coming off two really kick ass draft years. Yes, the team has a lot of young players and so I believed they would start of slow and build as the season progressed. I think the Hawks are meeting my expectations so far.

I keep being reminded of what Holmgren used to say. He used to say all you have to do is get into the playoffs then it's 0-0, a completely new season anything can happen. Why that is so important to me is because, typically, in my opinion Carroll has the ability to get the most out of his young players and so I don't put a limitation on what can happen in a season. That doesn't make me right it's just how I typically view the season. It feels like that's playing out. We will see.

I like it when you guys get excited and I think the Hawks best football is yet to come. If they don't make the NFC title game or the SB remembervwhat your expectations were at the beginning of the season.

Anybody have some thoughts on this?

LTH
For me, I'm a little frustrated with the team because it seems as though they're underperforming compared to their overall talent level. Yes, they're young, but so what? There's still some good veteran leadership here and a head coach who's been at this a while. The playcalling and QB mistakes are baby-crying-on-an-airplane annoying. Are we still good enough to get into the playoffs and win a game? Sure, and that'll be fun. But this team is capable of so much more and that's why my optimism has taken a hit.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I disagree with the argument that the Seahawks have made no effort to find the QBOTF. I think it was in reference to the 2021 draft, JS commented that Drew Lock would have been the number 1 QB of that draft, or at least the Seahawks graded him that way. Well, they made the effort to get him. A lot of people, here and elsewhere, looked at Lock as a throwaway part of the Wilson trade, but the Seahawks specifically targeted him.

Is he the QBOTF? I dunno. But a lot of teams spending high draft picks on highly rated QBs have had disappointing results. And I'm betting that most fans of those teams are not happy that "oh well, at least they tried."

toffee

Reaction score
Have the team met my expectation record wise? YES,
Have the team met my expectation on how play play? NO,

In the end of the day, 6-3 is 6-3, I gladly take it. Do I find the team's performance up to par? No, plenty of room for improvement.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Have the team met my expectation record wise? YES,
Have the team met my expectation on how play play? NO,

In the end of the day, 6-3 is 6-3, I gladly take it. Do I find the team's performance up to par? No, plenty of room for improvement.
The good part is that the team repeatedly says they are still growing, learning, and getting better. This was the fifth youngest roster at the start of the season.

sutz

Reaction score
I disagree with the argument that the Seahawks have made no effort to find the QBOTF. I think it was in reference to the 2021 draft, JS commented that Drew Lock would have been the number 1 QB of that draft, or at least the Seahawks graded him that way. Well, they made the effort to get him. A lot of people, here and elsewhere, looked at Lock as a throwaway part of the Wilson trade, but the Seahawks specifically targeted him.

Is he the QBOTF? I dunno. But a lot of teams spending high draft picks on highly rated QBs have had disappointing results. And I'm betting that most fans of those teams are not happy that "oh well, at least they tried."
Since he was brought in via that trade, I always thought that P&J thought of Lock in that way, as a potential QBOTF. I believe he's one of the highest paid backup QBs in the league this year, and I would be surprised if they don't make an effort to retain him next year, regardless of Smith's status. Keep in mind that Lock watched as Smith made that transition from backup to starter, which would be an indicator to him that with a little patience he could take the reins in a year or two, the reins of a team that is pretty solidly put together in most areas.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
For me, I'm a little frustrated with the team because it seems as though they're underperforming compared to their overall talent level. Yes, they're young, but so what? There's still some good veteran leadership here and a head coach who's been at this a while. The playcalling and QB mistakes are baby-crying-on-an-airplane annoying. Are we still good enough to get into the playoffs and win a game? Sure, and that'll be fun. But this team is capable of so much more and that's why my optimism has taken a hit.
I mean... I understand your frustration. They are under performing... your right about that, but thecquestion is why are they under performing? Let's see what happens now that they are getting some continuity on that O line. Let's see what happens when Lucas comes back. What's happening is that the Hawks are working through adversity... that doesn't necessarily define the whole season I think that's where people get stuck. Look... when Geno gets into rhythm they are going to ROll. And don't get me wrong Geno has made some bad plays it's not just the play of everybody around him... but he is VERY well coached... he is going to get into rhythm and it's going to work out.

LTH

Aircrew

Reaction score
I mean... I understand your frustration. They are under performing... your right about that, but thecquestion is why are they under performing? Let's see what happens now that they are getting some continuity on that O line. Let's see what happens when Lucas comes back. What's happening is that the Hawks are working through adversity... that doesn't necessarily define the whole season I think that's where people get stuck. Look... when Geno gets into rhythm they are going to ROll. And don't get me wrong Geno has made some bad plays it's not just the play of everybody around him... but he is VERY well coached... he is going to get into rhythm and it's going to work out.

LTH
Oh I'm with you, it's all about when a team gets hot, and we can all agree we haven't seen the best of this group yet. The opportunity is very much there for us to get on a roll and make some serious noise once we're in the tournament. And getting the O line back with the continuity that comes with it will be huge for the running game and everything builds off of that. I'm just getting anxious for it to kick in, we're just over the halfway point in the season now and only so many opportunities left to put it all together. Go Hawks!

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Oh I'm with you, it's all about when a team gets hot, and we can all agree we haven't seen the best of this group yet. The opportunity is very much there for us to get on a roll and make some serious noise once we're in the tournament. And getting the O line back with the continuity that comes with it will be huge for the running game and everything builds off of that. I'm just getting anxious for it to kick in, we're just over the halfway point in the season now and only so many opportunities left to put it all together. Go Hawks!
Yeah I'm getting anxious as well... they opened it up a bit week saw a good mix of 10-11 and 12 personal even a couple of 13. I think we are starting to see the O line gel a bit as well Geno is making better decisions, throwing the ball away when it's not there. Pete might open it up against the Rams...

LTH

Fade

Reaction score
I think it's interesting reading comments about the Hawks this year. Most people thought that the Hawks would be a wild card team and maybe get to the second round. They are on track to do that and possibly exceed that expectation.

But the comments on this board make me feel like the expectation is secretly higher. They have a top 10 D and they have a top 10 Offense so far but there is very little enthusiasm.

It's like because the Hawks are not exceeding the expectation and playing like a SB contender right NOW that the season is garbage. But let me remind you what your expectation was! Why has that expectation changed?

For me, I didn't exactly know what to expect coming off two really kick ass draft years. Yes, the team has a lot of young players and so I believed they would start of slow and build as the season progressed. I think the Hawks are meeting my expectations so far.

I keep being reminded of what Holmgren used to say. He used to say all you have to do is get into the playoffs then it's 0-0, a completely new season anything can happen. Why that is so important to me is because, typically, in my opinion Carroll has the ability to get the most out of his young players and so I don't put a limitation on what can happen in a season. That doesn't make me right it's just how I typically view the season. It feels like that's playing out. We will see.

I like it when you guys get excited and I think the Hawks best football is yet to come. If they don't make the NFC title game or the SB remembervwhat your expectations were at the beginning of the season.

Anybody have some thoughts on this?

LTH
22nd ranked defense in scoring.

Having faced world beaters such as:

Andy Dalton, P.J. Walker, Daniel Jones, Sam Howell, and Josh Dobbs.

The defense is underachieving, with the tough part of their schedule getting ready to kick in. Looking bottom 5, soon.

Inspite of adding a Top 5 pick, 2nd rd pick, another 2nd and 5th spent on Leo Williams, and spending on Dre Jones, Wagner, and J.Reed.

Added all of that just to rank about the same as last year when it is all said and done.

Offensively, they continue to suffer from the same issues that has plagued them throughout the PC era regardless of QB, or OC.

Geno has also regressed from last year and is quickly becoming the most expensive bridge QB in football.

With even his proponents begging to draft a QB.

Pete's built another mediocre team, that is a pretender for going on a decade.

Other tha that, everything is great.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score

The defense is underachieving, with the tough part of their schedule getting ready to kick in. Looking bottom 5, soon.

Inspite of adding a Top 5 pick, 2nd rd pick, another 2nd and 5th spent on Leo Williams, and spending on Dre Jones, Wagner, and J.Reed.

Added all of that just to rank about the same as last year when it is all said and done.

Offensively, they continue to suffer from the same issues that has plagued them throughout the PC era regardless of QB, or OC.

Geno has also regressed from last year and is quickly becoming the most expensive bridge QB in football.

Thanks Chicken Little. Your predictable and melodramatic takes are noted.

Fade

Reaction score
Except for one game we have exceeded my pre-season expectations. Our 6-3 record really should be 7-2, as there is no excuse to lose a game in which you had four chances at goal to go possessions and only come away from that with 3 points.
The lopsided loss to Baltimore was inexplicable, especially considering Baltimore followed that up by losing to a team we just beat.
My expectations were that we would be competitive this year but struggle with the fact that so many of our guys are so young they haven't had enough time to adjust and learn everything they need to know in order to compete at a top tier level. However, I think that our latest draft class will come out next year and bloom. Our roster will be ready to be the best it can be. I continue to have questions regarding Geno's ceiling holding us back, but other than that I see next year as our re-assent into prominence.
How do they re-assent into prominence exactly?

Give me a run-through of how this is achieved. I enjoy a good fan-fic.

Fade

Reaction score
We are a barely playoff team. Even expecting a playoff win is shooting too high. Makes no sense.

But, as I pointed out earlier, we were supposed to be terrible. When the idea of starting Geno was floated the expectation was we would be getting a draft pick in the top 1-3, if not THE top pick. We didn't. We were far, far better. And somehow, even though Geno never was that good before - people expected Geno to continue to produce far beyond even the wildest expectations before he started.

It made no sense.

Nobody should be expecting a SB from this team. Frankly, getting to the playoffs at all is a near miracle considering what expectations were AT THE START OF LAST SEASON. The Seahawks somehow overcame the odds and blew those expectations out of the water, but it made sense to expect some regression, not improvement.

I was ready for a few years of just Chicago Bears or New York Giants style of suck, we instead got a reasonably competitive team. Not a world-beater, but at least not an embarrassment. Expect that to continue until Pete leaves. Pete does a good job of keeping things above .500 despite the challenges.
The only reason they are even making the playoffs is 7 teams now get in, and the NFC is dogwater.

They are mediocre with no end in sight. As it doesn't matter how much talent they add, or how good their drafts are.
Simple scheme (Eric Bienemiey's words, not mine) predictable, too easy to prepare for. They play hard, 7-11 wins, early playoff exit, rinse--repeat.

Anyone optimistic about this decade long, repeating loop is insane.

Hypothetically, let's say they find the needle in the haystack and get the next franchise QB. He won't develop in Pete's antiquated system, get sacked a lot. And have people on her arguing about firing another one of Pete's puppets.

His teams play with great effort, but they are too simple schematically (Eric Bienemiey's words, not mine.) to ever compete with the big dogs.

High floor, low ceiling.

It also helps they've played a slew of backup QBs, over the last 2 years to pad out their record. Driving a perception they are further along on a so called rebuild.

In actuality they squandered the RW trade, robbed Peter to pay Paul. And they are in the same place they've been for a decade. Mediocre.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score

Absolutely!! The D is underachieving! I think the loss of Nwosu was a huge loss. They do NOT have the personal to replace him and that makes me really sad! I REALLY like Nwosu!! They are going to have to do it by committee.. and if I were opposing defenses that's exactly where I would run the ball. Only I didn't re watch the game and I think I saw them play Jones at 5 tech which I thought was interesting. ... correct me if I'm wrong. But let me bring up something you forgot to mention. ... tackling has been very inconsistant at times even guys like Adams.

Offensively yeah there are still some issues and I could list them but I KNOW you already know them so I'm not going to list it, being that I dislike typing on my phone.

I think the O line is starting to be healthier and starting to gel. By the time Lucas gets back and going in the right direction, they are going to be OK. I like the way Peters has played he has been ok ... nice stop gap.

The key offensively is to get Geno into rhythm and they can't do that unless the players around him play better
Not saying Geno has not made mistakes because he has but against Washington he didn't force anything and for the most part didn't turn the ball over. He was clutch when it counted.

The O played well enough to win the game it was the D that didn't play good enough to win the game.

So yeah I'm not going to disagree there are things on D that need to be cleaned up
I'm not going to disagree that this D is under achieving because they are.

Where I dis agree with you is all these issues are fixable. Where is the ceiling for this D? I dont think this D is even close to it.

The secondary is just starting to gel...they are playing really well at times and it's a busted coverage here a penalty there that is keeping them from being a really solid D.

I believe the Hawks coaching staff is going to fix the inconsistencies that have been hampering the D.

I'm just waiting for Carroll to turn the Dawgs loose. He has been very conservative..when this happens the Hawks are going to roll... you will see.

What else you got?

Luv ya bro!

LTH

xray

Reaction score
Typical Hawks team...consistently inconsistent . :)

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
Short answer: yes

I wasn't expecting 14-3 and a SB. Anyone who was might be a bit delusional.

I still reserve the right to complain though.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The defense is meeting my expectations with the influx of talent in 2023.

The offense, and especially Geno are not. I truly thought Geno would take the next step and play much more consistently like he did the 1st half of last year. Not all his fault. But with the most talent around him maybe of any Hawk QB ever, I expected a much more consistently successful offense.

Not sure why our offense and defense can never be good to great at the same time, but here we are.

GemCity

Reaction score
I'm overall optimistic, but also concerned because the team is beating itself, and the coaches (pete) seem surprised when, for example, we lose convincingly to the Ravens, despite thebfact that much of what led to the loss showed itself in the preceeding weeks - we just happened to win regardless. That's either Pete losing touch with how focused his guys are, or delegating too much and trusting that his coordinators are gonna get shi+ straight. Neither is good.

It makes me concerned that what plagued the team in its week 1 opening loss ( an over reliance on hype and emotion and lack of attention to detail ) is still likely to rear its head.

I hope the ups and downs are just indicative of a young team learning how to win and take pride in preparation. But won't belive it until I see it consistently.

Shane also concernes me, and as he goes, so does Geno. I think that up until the 2nd half of last weeks game, Geno's confidence was shaken. Hed missed his share of plays, but he'd also been victim to some questionalble route running and spotty protection. But none of that was helped by Waldron. How well Geno plays moving forward will depend on how good Shane can be, getting healthy on thr line, and him developing a connection with his receivers. The positive thing in all of this is that the last two are for sure going to happen. You can see the connection hes developing with JSn and the routes that are coming from it. Lucas should be back in time for the upcoming gauntlet.

He still misses some reads, like the TD last week to JSN when he was locked onto DK, but he also makes some redicilous throws like the TD to Tyler and continues to overall show a solid command of the offense. But how good can Shane be? That's the wildcard on O and for Geno. Geno just isn't the caliber of QB who can go out and win consistently in spite of a poor plan.

The D? I'm not optimistic that the patchwork replacement for Nwosu is gonna work. Clark got washed away quite a bit against Wahsington. Taylor can flash in the pass rush but is still a liability against the run. And our pass D is good 75% of the time, but still gives up the critical play too often.

That being said, I think they can and will tighten up. If Nwosu was on the field, I'd be much higher on them. As it is... I just hope they can hold up well enough to not give one away, and peak come week 19.
Ditto. Everything.