Are the Seahawks meeting expectations

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
For many of us, the frustration is not about this season but about the direction of the franchise.

I am frustrated because PCJS have failed to address the QB situation adequately for 5+ years even though we all know that it has been a must do.

Where it shows this season is our fanatical hopes that Geno would turn out to be the guy that half the board insisted he would be being dashed by the reality that Geno cannot pull his head out of his ass for more than 1/4 to 1/2 of almost every game..

So it has little to do with this season's expectations and everything to do with seeing this same exact show for appx a decade with no end in sight.

Geno isn't the guy, and PCJS are making no efforts to find the guy. Logically, we're looking at one and done seasons with NO HOPE of it changing.
This seems more than a little bit sensationalist. Throughout the whole of 2018, 2019, and then half of 2020, quarterback was absolutely not a thought in the minds of anyone here.

In 2021, that obviously changed. In 2022, we did something about it.

You're mistaking patience for indecision. There hasn't been a solid opportunity to nail quarterback down in a way that'd have us in better shape than a playoff berth post trade and an 80%+ chance of making it again this year, and I seriously disagree with anyone who just wants to throw resources at the wall until one of the draftees everyone pines for actually works out.

R-e-l-a-x. No need to plunge into existential terror because the next 20 years of signal-calling isn't settled yet. Got one of the best organizations in football at picking the winners at QB. Let 'em line up the shot. Geno was the best shot to get us through the gap post-trade.

This is not worth rushing. It just isn't. I get the uneasy feeling, I do. But I can't argue with the process.

keasley45

Reaction score
I'm overall optimistic, but also concerned because the team is beating itself, and the coaches (pete) seem surprised when, for example, we lose convincingly to the Ravens, despite thebfact that much of what led to the loss showed itself in the preceeding weeks - we just happened to win regardless. That's either Pete losing touch with how focused his guys are, or delegating too much and trusting that his coordinators are gonna get shi+ straight. Neither is good.

It makes me concerned that what plagued the team in its week 1 opening loss ( an over reliance on hype and emotion and lack of attention to detail ) is still likely to rear its head.

I hope the ups and downs are just indicative of a young team learning how to win and take pride in preparation. But won't belive it until I see it consistently.

Shane also concernes me, and as he goes, so does Geno. I think that up until the 2nd half of last weeks game, Geno's confidence was shaken. Hed missed his share of plays, but he'd also been victim to some questionalble route running and spotty protection. But none of that was helped by Waldron. How well Geno plays moving forward will depend on how good Shane can be, getting healthy on thr line, and him developing a connection with his receivers. The positive thing in all of this is that the last two are for sure going to happen. You can see the connection hes developing with JSn and the routes that are coming from it. Lucas should be back in time for the upcoming gauntlet.

He still misses some reads, like the TD last week to JSN when he was locked onto DK, but he also makes some redicilous throws like the TD to Tyler and continues to overall show a solid command of the offense. But how good can Shane be? That's the wildcard on O and for Geno. Geno just isn't the caliber of QB who can go out and win consistently in spite of a poor plan.

The D? I'm not optimistic that the patchwork replacement for Nwosu is gonna work. Clark got washed away quite a bit against Wahsington. Taylor can flash in the pass rush but is still a liability against the run. And our pass D is good 75% of the time, but still gives up the critical play too often.

That being said, I think they can and will tighten up. If Nwosu was on the field, I'd be much higher on them. As it is... I just hope they can hold up well enough to not give one away, and peak come week 19.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
I'm overall optimistic, but also concerned because the team is beating itself, and the coaches (pete) seem surprised when, for example, we lose convincingly to the Ravens, despite thebfact that much of what led to the loss showed itself in the preceeding weeks - we just happened to win regardless. That's either Pete losing touch with how focused his guys are, or delegating too much and trusting that his coordinators are gonna get shi+ straight. Neither is good.

It makes me concerned that what plagued the team in its week 1 opening loss ( an over reliance on hype and emotion and lack of attention to detail ) is still likely to rear its head.

I hope the ups and downs are just indicative of a young team learning how to win and take pride in preparation. But won't belive it until I see it consistently.

Shane also concernes me, and as he goes, so does Geno. I think that up until the 2nd half of last weeks game, Geno's confidence was shaken. Hed missed his share of plays, but he'd also been victim to some questionalble route running and spotty protection. But none of that was helped by Waldron. How well Geno plays moving forward will depend on how good Shane can be, getting healthy on thr line, and him developing a connection with his receivers. The positive thing in all of this is that the last two are for sure going to happen. You can see the connection hes developing with JSn and the routes that are coming from it. Lucas should be back in time for the upcoming gauntlet.

He still misses some reads, like the TD last week to JSN when he was locked onto DK, but he also makes some redicilous throws like the TD to Tyler and continues to overall show a solid command of the offense. But how good can Shane be? That's the wildcard on O and for Geno. Geno just isn't the caliber of QB who can go out and win consistently in spite of a poor plan.

The D? I'm not optimistic that the patchwork replacement for Nwosu is gonna work. Clark got washed away quite a bit against Wahsington. Taylor can flash in the pass rush but is still a liability against the run. And our pass D is good 75% of the time, but still gives up the critical play too often.

That being said, I think they can and will tighten up. If Nwosu was on the field, I'd be much higher on them. As it is... I just hope they can hold up well enough to not give one away, and peak come week 19.
Yeah... the loss of Nwosu was huge...but I thought I saw Jones and Mafe playing end almost all game. That was interesting...

LTH

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I expect to win the Super Bowl at least once every 3-4 years. So no, expectations are not being met. If the coach isn't winning a championship in years 1-3, fire him. Just keep doing it until we win it again. Set the standard.

Otherwise, we're basically telling the coach "sure, go ahead and take 10 years to win the Super Bowl. Who cares if people only live to be 70-80 years old and many fans will likely die before that happens. **** them. **** their children, too."

Is that really the message we should sending?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We are a barely playoff team. Even expecting a playoff win is shooting too high. Makes no sense.

But, as I pointed out earlier, we were supposed to be terrible. When the idea of starting Geno was floated the expectation was we would be getting a draft pick in the top 1-3, if not THE top pick. We didn't. We were far, far better. And somehow, even though Geno never was that good before - people expected Geno to continue to produce far beyond even the wildest expectations before he started.

It made no sense.

Nobody should be expecting a SB from this team. Frankly, getting to the playoffs at all is a near miracle considering what expectations were AT THE START OF LAST SEASON. The Seahawks somehow overcame the odds and blew those expectations out of the water, but it made sense to expect some regression, not improvement.

I was ready for a few years of just Chicago Bears or New York Giants style of suck, we instead got a reasonably competitive team. Not a world-beater, but at least not an embarrassment. Expect that to continue until Pete leaves. Pete does a good job of keeping things above .500 despite the challenges.

Ozzy

Reaction score
This seems more than a little bit sensationalist. Throughout the whole of 2018, 2019, and then half of 2020, quarterback was absolutely not a thought in the minds of anyone here.

In 2021, that obviously changed. In 2022, we did something about it.

You're mistaking patience for indecision. There hasn't been a solid opportunity to nail quarterback down in a way that'd have us in better shape than a playoff berth post trade and an 80%+ chance of making it again this year, and I seriously disagree with anyone who just wants to throw resources at the wall until one of the draftees everyone pines for actually works out.

R-e-l-a-x. No need to plunge into existential terror because the next 20 years of signal-calling isn't settled yet. Got one of the best organizations in football at picking the winners at QB. Let 'em line up the shot. Geno was the best shot to get us through the gap post-trade.

This is not worth rushing. It just isn't. I get the uneasy feeling, I do. But I can't argue with the process.
I wanted Baler Mayfield and I’m not sure i wasn’t wrong lol but you’re overall point isn’t wrong

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Meeting my expectations to the queue. The same old Hawks i've come to expect. Horribly inconsistent, leading the league in penalties once again, and head scratching coaching. Yeah that sounds about right. They'll have a decent regular season that gets them to the playoffs and they'll get snuffed as usual. Expectations met.

WarHawks

Reaction score
For many of us, the frustration is not about this season but about the direction of the franchise.

I am frustrated because PCJS have failed to address the QB situation adequately for 5+ years even though we all know that it has been a must do.

Where it shows this season is our fanatical hopes that Geno would turn out to be the guy that half the board insisted he would be being dashed by the reality that Geno cannot pull his head out of his ass for more than 1/4 to 1/2 of almost every game..

So it has little to do with this season's expectations and everything to do with seeing this same exact show for appx a decade with no end in sight.

Geno isn't the guy, and PCJS are making no efforts to find the guy. Logically, we're looking at one and done seasons with NO HOPE of it changing.
This x 1000%. Put any label on it you want to, but that is how we're feeling. No serious effort to address the qb situation, and not likely to happen soon either with Pete being 2 yrs from likely retirement. Hopefully they prove us wrong, but after ten years of the same thing, I doubt it.

Last edited:

eo620

Reaction score
Consistency is the key. You never know week in or week out what you're going to get with this team. They look like hot trash in the opener vs the Rams, then give a great fight against the Lions. We all pretty much knew before the season started what we had: a one and done playoff team. We're still that, but we're starting to want more. As wonderful as the story of Geno was last year, I think we're all starting to realize he's not the answer. PC/JS need to continue to win the draft. Keep filling the holes. They'll get there, it's just taking longer than a lot of us fans would like. We're close. The last mile is usually the longest.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
The offense doesn't seem to be meeting expectations. We're talking about an offense that has 2 highly skilled RB's (possibly 3), 4 highly skilled WR's, and let's not forget the guys protecting our QB. Cross, Lucas, Bradford, Lewis, etc... I wouldn't expect the offense to be struggling so much with this plethora of talent.

Now the defense, they've been closer to meeting expectations, but I would expect better tackling from guys like Adams & Diggs, and more pressure from guys like Jones & Taylor.

They've got a wealth of talent on both sides, so while I wouldn't go as far as to expect an undefeated season, I would expect them to get more than 12 yards of offense in a half against the Rams, I would expect them not to get blown out 37-3 against the Ravens, etc...These aren't unreasonable expectations IMHO. I don't think I'm alone on this either. We all see the way they've been playing, and we all know they're not playing up to their full potential.

AK49Hawk

Reaction score
Wow, lots of different expectations, indeed. I’m just happy Ken Behring didn’t get his way with the Seahawks, something to keep in mind when thinking about expectations at the end of the season.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Yeah I’d say so. Pete and Geno have us at 6-3 again. We were 6-3 last year then lost the Germany game to Brady and struggled to 9 wins and a playoff appearance. This year we can flip the script and finish strong and control our way to a 2 seed if we play well as a team and on both sides of the ball.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
The offense doesn't seem to be meeting expectations. We're talking about an offense that has 2 highly skilled RB's (possibly 3), 4 highly skilled WR's, and let's not forget the guys protecting our QB. Cross, Lucas, Bradford, Lewis, etc... I wouldn't expect the offense to be struggling so much with this plethora of talent.

Now the defense, they've been closer to meeting expectations, but I would expect better tackling from guys like Adams & Diggs, and more pressure from guys like Jones & Taylor.

They've got a wealth of talent on both sides, so while I wouldn't go as far as to expect an undefeated season, I would expect them to get more than 12 yards of offense in a half against the Rams, I would expect them not to get blown out 37-3 against the Ravens, etc...These aren't unreasonable expectations IMHO. I don't think I'm alone on this either. We all see the way they've been playing, and we all know they're not playing up to their full potential.
Cross Lucas and Bradford haven't all been on the field since week one.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Cross Lucas and Bradford haven't all been on the field since week one.
True. I meant to specify that. It's possible that once the OL is finally healthy & stable, the offense could meet expectations.

To another point though, I also just noticed that I forgot to mention the trio of TE's they have. The amount of talent Seattle has on offense is truly over the top. I believe Seattle needs to move on from Waldron & find a guy who can scheme our receivers open, the way guys like Reid & Shanahan do. On paper, this offense is just as, if not more, talented than SF and KC, if they can find a coach like that, this offense would be firing on all cylinders.

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
My expectations...?
Well, my expectations kind of went out the window for this season as the draft unfolded, with the Hawk's not selecting any of the defensive or offensive linemen that I thought they might be able to pick up. The addition of cornerback Witherspoon is looking like a really good long-term pick however. Running back Charbonet, plus Center Oluwatimi both look like they will contribute to this team for years to come, and then there is outside line backer Derick Hall, and receiver JSN in that second tier who both look like they can devolope as starters. To get four real potential first team players out of one draft, that is pretty good in my opinion. I'll call that draft a long-term win, but it's not a draft package that is going to get them past the 49'ers this season, as they still need some more of what I call, building blocks. That means blue chip, young, Big Bodies that they can build around, particularly at nose tackle, line backer, and guard.

What is not meeting my expectations...?
The offensive run game for starters. I had expected that they would be challenging for top 5 in the league rushing, instead they are ranked (roughly) 25th in the league. Also turn over differential, because with that amount of talent in the defensive secondary, I would normally expect quite a few more interceptions, but that isn't happening with this defensive line that can't regularly get to the QB within 2.5 seconds as required. Then there is the Time of Possession statistic, and how these Hawk's can be 6 & 3 when they regularly give the opposition 40 minutes of ball control in a 60 minute game just shocks me to my core.

Consider me neutral on this topic...?
At least for now, because I do believe the Hawk's management has a sense of direction, and maybe the 2024 draft will be better for those Big Body building blocks that I mentioned earlier. I also believe that at least one more good draft is going to be very critical to the Hawk's having another Super Bowl run. While the free agent market & trades can gain players that are more proven, free agents are also older and more expensive players. I still feel that this team would be better off if it went back to their former 4-3 alignment, just because it seems like the more talented defensive tackles coming out of college today are smaller, and better equiped to handle that kind of role.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I wanted Baler Mayfield and I’m not sure i wasn’t wrong lol but you’re overall point isn’t wrong
Actual quarterback aside, yeah. Pretty much same blueprint, though. Stopgap and wait for the opportunity.

If Stroud was sitting there and they'd straight up passed, I'd definitely feel some of the same angst as others do over the position, though.

NJlargent

Reaction score
I expected wild card and done. However, what was more important was I wanted to see the team either establishing a dominant defense (to set the table for 2024 and 2025) and/or an offense that was deadly and able to keep us in any game. Unfortunately neither seems to be happening. Defense is hot and cold and same holds true for the offense. So 6-3 is cold comfort. We seem stagnant.

BASF

Reaction score
The defense will only play as well as Clint Hurtt's adjustments and variations. Please remember that last season we started to get the defense figured out and played well until Germany and the offensive minds of Brady and Arians, who was still advising then showed the blueprint on how to beat our defense and Hurtt never figured out an adjustment. I have little faith in Hurtt as I have called for his firing earlier than almost anyone here. Judging him off the first Rams game while looking at this one is a bit disingenuous. It was the first time a lot of our defense played together since the new preseason format means starters barely play. Far more concerning is the fact that the Ravens and Commanders both beat our blitzes and stunts pretty consistently. He needs to come up with variations.

The offense will only play as well as Shane Waldron's adjustments and variations. People keep harping on the offense's performance in the second half of the Rams game. People forget that if it had not been for Jason Myers missing the field goal at the end of the half, we would have scored on every possession to start the game. There is no reason to think that if we hadn't lost both of our tackles that game that we would not have continued to move the ball on them well. I posted then that, despite being a Stan for Andy Dickerson, I was disappointed in him, because he did not have Forsythe or Curhan ready to play in that game. Waldron also did not adapt well to the situation. We need him to improve if the Seahawks are going to meet then exceed expectations.

And, to all the posters who simply want to harp on the QB play, yes having a QB in the pro bowl for nine of the past tens years has been so horrible a stretch of football. The only way we get one of the only great QBOTF from the past few years was to lose a lot of capital from a trade last season to get CJ Stroud. We would have had to move to number one and we had a lot of holes to fill. Every draft pick and even a few UDFAs have contributed this season. Selling out this seasons team for a future that is not guaranteed is not in Pete Carroll. Win forever is his mantra.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Preseason expectation for the offense, Top 5, with the all the new weapons. Not met. (Currently 14th PPG)

Preseason expectations for the defense, Top 15, with an improved run D. Not met. (Currently 20th PPG)