Anyone think Russ was trying to sabotage the O last year?

seabowl

Reaction score
I know it maybe a stretch, but after watching Russ last year (not talking about his injury) it almost seemed like he just didn’t care at all what the coaching staff was telling him to do and just did what he wanted. Way too many times did he ignore the wide open receiver to throw deep down the field into double and triple coverage. I know reports have come out that he was “checked out” but I think he was almost trying to defy Pete by saying I’m going to do what I want to do and not what you are asking if me.

This was Russ’s way of saying trade me or this is what I’m going to keep doing.

Thoughts?

Elemas

Reaction score
I think he knew this was it and simply didn’t have the intensity he had normally had.

I don’t think he would do something malicious like that to the likes of the rest of the team. If it were 2 v 2, and Pete was RWs partner, he’d throw 20 picks.

But to sabotage DK, Tyler, Bobby? Nah…

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Well if you follow the athletic..reports are teammates didnt think his heart was in it last year and that there were was no leadership. Sorry can't link as its a pay site.

toffee

Reaction score
Not sure about sabotage the O, but Chris was right, he sure came back early to stop Geno from leading the offense to wins. When Geno took the field after the finger injury, he hadn't played for years, had tonnes of rust, but he was more in tune with Waldron's offense even in that game.

If Russ sat, rest and let that finger heal. Geno could provide couple of wins. But Russ couldn't accept that as it will devalue his brand.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Tusc2000

Reaction score
The level of crazy on this board just keeps getting more and more absurd. Russ sabotaging the team? Good lord.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
toffee":15kzaxuo said:
Not sure about sabotage the O, but Chris was right, he sure came back early to stop Geno from leading the offense to wins. When Geno took the field after the finger injury, he hadn't played for years, had tonnes of rust, but he was more in tune with Waldron's offense even in that game.

If Russ sat, rest and let that finger heal. Geno could provide couple of wins. But Russ couldn't accept that as it will devalue his brand.

Pete Carroll didn't seem to share your opinion of Smith. If he did, Smith would have still been playing. Russell Wilson doesn't make personnel decisions on who's playing and when. Wilson gave the best chance for the Seahawks to win, even with a broken finger.

nwHawk

Reaction score
seabowl":12nm5azt said:
I know it maybe a stretch, but after watching Russ last year (not talking about his injury) it almost seemed like he just didn’t care at all what the coaching staff was telling him to do and just did what he wanted. Way too many times did he ignore the wide open receiver to throw deep down the field into double and triple coverage. I know reports have come out that he was “checked out” but I think he was almost trying to defy Pete by saying I’m going to do what I want to do and not what you are asking if me.

This was Russ’s way of saying trade me or this is what I’m going to keep doing.

Thoughts?

Several people I know thought the same thing. I think we'll see a lot of hindsight GM'ing.

toffee

Reaction score
hawkfan68":20i9ugrb said:
toffee":20i9ugrb said:

Pete Carroll didn't seem to share your opinion of Smith. If he did, Smith would have still been playing. Russell Wilson doesn't make personnel decisions on who's playing and when. Wilson gave the best chance for the Seahawks to win, even with a broken finger.
Pete has been Russ's bytch after 2013, totally dysfunctional relationship.

nwHawk

Reaction score
GemCity":2af6z3fi said:
I think he knew this was it and simply didn’t have the intensity he had normally had.

I don’t think he would do something malicious like that to the likes of the rest of the team.

I disagree. The original Russ would never had done this. He switched into a more selfish forward approach the past few years. We all saw it, and discussed it.

keasley45

Reaction score
If by sabotaging, you mean not playing the position in a way that would allow us to defeat defenses based on a sound gameplan, because he wasn't capable of executing the plays and effectively distributing the ball...and then refused to embrace alternate solutions, yes.

Yes. Russ stubbornly insisting on playing the game the way he wanted, so that he could show that his way, his arm, his ability was the way to win, rather than subscribing to the style of play we saw late in the year that saw us close out the season on a high note, was absolutley intentional. Pete waited 7 games to force the change in 2020 and 12 weeks in 2021 because I think he knew that the only way to keep Russ was to let him try it his way until it was obvious there was no chance that way was going to work.

And it didn't work.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
keasley45":ez1duxac said:
If by sabotaging, you mean not playing the position in a way that would allow us to defeat defenses based on a sound gameplan, because he wasn't capable of executing the plays and effectively distributing the ball...and then refused to embrace alternate solutions, yes.

Yes. Russ stubbornly insisting on playing the game the way he wanted, so that he could show that his way, his arm, his ability was the way to win, rather than subscribing to the style of play we saw late in the year that saw us close out the season on a high note, was absolutley intentional. Pete waited 7 games to force the change in 2020 and 12 weeks in 2021 because I think he knew that the only way to keep Russ was to let him try it his way until it was obvious there was no chance that way was going to work.

And it didn't work.

I think you're pretty spot on with this. I think Russ basically went into sulking teenager mode after the press last off season. And I think you're correct - I don't think he was 'tanking' games intentionally at all - but I do think he was trying to force 'his' version of the game. I remember PC calling him out sorta (forget which game) "wish Russ could have helped us" - and Russ: "I'm gonna try and win. That's what I'm gonna do. Sometimes it works....".

So, I think he was just disgruntled and teenagery a bit. I don't think there was intent there - and he still has to make some numbers for his own contracts.

I think it was just the natural end to a bad relationship between him and PC,

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
toffee":ma8ywnnk said:
Not sure about sabotage the O, but Chris was right, he sure came back early to stop Geno from leading the offense to wins.

Lol. What wins?

toffee

Reaction score
ddores":35e2tio6 said:
keasley45":35e2tio6 said:

And it didn't work.

I think you're pretty spot on with this. I think Russ basically went into sulking teenager mode after the press last off season. And I think you're correct - I don't think he was 'tanking' games intentionally at all - but I do think he was trying to force 'his' version of the game. I remember PC calling him out sorta (forget which game) "wish Russ could have helped us" - and Russ: "I'm gonna try and win. That's what I'm gonna do. Sometimes it works....".

So, I think he was just disgruntled and teenagery a bit. I don't think there was intent there - and he still has to make some numbers for his own contracts.

I think it was just the natural end to a bad relationship between him and PC,

He was all out putting on shows for his future suitors, at the expenses of Hawk's 2021 season. He rushed back for that too, he couldn't risk Geno start winning. He jumped right back to stop Geno starting, a risk he wasn't going to take.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Purposely "sabotaging" with ill intentions? No. But did he become uncoachable in Seattle? Yes.

After the Titans game, for example.

Coach: We could have checked it down to the open man and moved the chains.

Reporters: Russ, do you agree with coach?

Russ: What I agree with is....

Russ even admits it this video. He wants to play hero ball, and he only takes advice from his alter ego...

[youtube]LkgkgH-x0X8[/youtube]

Will he change in Denver? Possible. But in Seattle, the situation became untenable. It was good for both sides to move on.

John63

Reaction score
hoxrox":xl9t3z9d said:
Purposely "sabotaging" with ill intentions? No. But did he become uncoachable in Seattle? Yes.

After the Titans game, for example.

Coach: We could have checked it down to the open man and moved the chains.

Reporters: Russ, do you agree with coach?

Russ: What I agree with is....

Russ even admits it this video. He wants to play hero ball, and he only takes advice from his alter ego...

[youtube]LkgkgH-x0X8[/youtube]

Will he change in Denver? Possible. But in Seattle, the situation became untenable. It was good for both sides to move on.

Nothing in this video means he wants to play hero ball. Like pretty much all of the anti-WIlson guys you are just making crap up.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Hero ball worked when he was faster and more elusive. It worked in 2020 until it didn't.

He only takes advice from Mr. Unlimited. He wants to be the hero.

It's really not rocket science to put 2 and 2 together. Based on his actions on the field. And based on his own admission.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
It’s very possible Russ lost his teammates trust and respect this year.

I’m all for wanting to improve the offensive line but Russ threw his teammates under the bus.

That was a total beach move on his part.

Coaches know, they watch film, players know, they watch film.

I lost respect for Wilson when he did that.

Sacks are also on the QB too.

Cyrus12

Reaction score