A Deconstruction and Chronicle of Pete's Defense

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
They've drafted twice as many defensive players, over offensive players the previous 5 seasons with their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks and virtually hit on none of them.

Why defend this?

Because they haven't had a pick higher than 27th since 2012, and with two 27th picks they took Brooks and Penny.

You're acting like they've had a bunch of wasted high picks on defense to defend your subjective Pete hate threads.

You're also wrong on your previous 5 seasons comment.

2016-2022 first three rounds: 12 defensive players & 10 offensive players.

Unless you're excluding 2022, which of course you are because it fits your narrative. But that's not being honest with your criticism now is it?

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Striking gold on 4 draft classes within the past 10 years is something GM’s dream about. The hit rate for players drafted 21-32 is 30% league wide. Malik McDowell started for the Browns last year but he has some obvious mental health issues. Collier hasn’t transitioned to this level like many thought he would. Aside from that they’ve drafted great. It seemed thin compared to others but again when you’re trying to maintain quality it becomes a pain in the ass when 1 player is taking 25% of your cap

Nunya

Reaction score
Fade...

I've got bad news for you son. We have been in contact with the front office and, I am sad to say, but you are being traded to the 49er fan base. As part of the trade, we are getting a Taylor Swift CD, 3 pop rings, a Tickle Me Elmo doll, and a case of Bubblicious Gum (Pete demanded that).

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
Come on fade join the optimism there is room for ya!! we are not going to give you to much crap!

cymatica

Reaction score
Fade...

I've got bad news for you son. We have been in contact with the front office and, I am sad to say, but you are being traded to the 49er fan base. As part of the trade, we are getting a Taylor Swift CD, 3 pop rings, a Tickle Me Elmo doll, and a case of Bubblicious Gum (Pete demanded that).
I don't care what an'one says, that rat there is funny

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Now the reconstruction has commenced, let’s enjoy watching the D come together.

As time goes on it seems to me that Pete has devolved more authority to his coordinators. That may just be my view but unlike other HC’s he doesn’t talk much between plays and it appears he frequently just watches with oversight.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score

toffee

Reaction score
The defense turn around deserve it's own movie, it literally went from the worst to being one of the best. We couldn't stop any RBs in the first few games, now league's best RB couldn't run on us.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Because they haven't had a pick higher than 27th since 2012, and with two 27th picks they took Brooks and Penny.

You're acting like they've had a bunch of wasted high picks on defense to defend your subjective Pete hate threads.

You're also wrong on your previous 5 seasons comment.

2016-2022 first three rounds: 12 defensive players & 10 offensive players.

Unless you're excluding 2022, which of course you are because it fits your narrative. But that's not being honest with your criticism now is it?
The 2010-2015 Seahawks weren't built with a bunch of high picks. So that excuse doesn't work.

Excluding 2022 because a change in process has clearly taken place, and this thread is taking a look at their window of where it went wrong.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
So you acknowledge his oversight was good? At some point even a grudging admission he is doing his job well might be appropriate.

All in all I still think he’s allowing his OC and his DC to have more play to play control and the results are certainly positive.

sutz

Reaction score
So you acknowledge his oversight was good? At some point even a grudging admission he is doing his job well might be appropriate.

All in all I still think he’s allowing his OC and his DC to have more play to play control and the results are certainly positive.
I've actually always thought that Pete was more of a "hands off" kind of HC when it came to playcalling and only really steps in when the wheels come off. Case in point: the "let Russ cook" season, Pete didn't step in until Russ threw like 10 picks in 3 games or so. Hell, this season, after a few games of the D giving up historic amounts of stats Pete (or somebody) stepped in and made some adjustments. For better or for worse, Pete seems to be the kind of boss who trusts his guys to do their jobs and won't meddle much unless things just ain't working.

My two cents worth.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I've been involved with several sports forums & over the years there are always a few posters on each who imply that they know more than the coaches or GM's of their team & if they just read the forum & did it their way they would be way better.

This is the first time I've ever seen a poster come right out & say it.

Gotta admit, the mental gymnastics used to discredit any success is kinda impressive.

cymatica

Reaction score
Everyone is dumping on Fade but the coaches were forced to make changes schematically and it did take them 4 or 5 games to figure it out. Can't blame people for criticizing coaching when the defense was putrid