49ers out scored 57-3 in two games?

Marvin49

Reaction score
RedAlice":2esod2fi said:
I know this is a very important conversation about the Niners and all -

but I just want to see if my fixed avi is working.

................hmm......?

Sorry...bit distracted by your picture there.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
RedAlice":2isz5wrw said:

What Ram Rule does this fit under? :D

RedAlice

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":293t7tpu said:
RedAlice":293t7tpu said:

Working fine.:)

How'd you get it sideways in the first place?

I have no idea. Ro fixed it for me.

RedAlice

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":huwfssa7 said:
Marvin49":huwfssa7 said:
................hmm......?

Sorry...bit distracted by your picture there.
Is someone saying something? My eyes aren't leaving a certain avatar, so I'm a little slow on the uptake at the moment.

Ah. My two favorites on each board: Ro and Marvin. They are adorable together.

So, Marvin sux I Can't have an avi at zone, yes?

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Marvin49":1qxoo09a said:
RolandDeschain":1qxoo09a said:
MizzouHawkGal":1qxoo09a said:
It's war I see.
I play for keeps, don't act like you don't know it.

MizzouHawkGal":1qxoo09a said:
I wonder if it's possible to make Marvin spin faster.... hmm...
Just start a thread saying you think the 49ers have a realistic shot of going 4-12 this year. He'll spin it like a top.

It's not spin if I'm right. ;-)

You are correct just like everyone that says you spin everything. Look at the bright side though, you finally made a correct post and without any spinning. Nice job.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I watched both games. The Niners demise is greatly exaggerated. The offense is fine. The defense will still be decent. In fact, I will say that the number one thing Niner fans should freak about is Dawson. Especially with the chance he will be kicking off new turf potentially every home game.

kearly

Reaction score
Marvin49":kmnz5sjo said:
kearly":kmnz5sjo said:
I hope SF is ready to score a ton of points on offense. The "starting" defense looks even worse than I thought it would so far, and the 49ers face several elite offenses in the first 7 weeks. Dallas, Chicago, Philly, and Denver. Arizona and KC's offenses aren't bad either. The one breather they get will be the Rams.

Not saying the 49ers can't win plenty of those games, but they will have to win via the shootout more often than not.

I ask you again...how can the starting D look bad when we haven't even seen the starting D?

That's why I used the airquotes. A little less than half of the starting group was not starting last year. But some of those backups will be starting in week 1.

I've thought all offseason that the 49ers defense is going to be in trouble without Bowman and Smith. Now they've lost Dorsey too, and the fill-ins at those spots have looked borderline awful. In particular I was not impressed with SF's run D, and they face some top shelf running games in the early weeks of the season.

I think the future of SF's defense doesn't look all that great, and I think this preseason we are getting a preview of that future.

I do think SF's offense will probably be more than fine despite Kaep's initial struggles this month. I am eyeing Frank Gore in fantasy, I think he's got at least one good year left. I think Kaep is gonna be Kaep. As long as he has weapons and a run game SF will control the game with their offense and score points.

The 49ers defense wasn't as good statistically as it's reputation last year and it's suffered some big blows, but I think SF's defense will improve substantially once they get Smith and Bowman back. I think Smith and Bowman are defensive MVP caliber players, losing them is a really big deal.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":lflt3m7k said:
I watched both games. The Niners demise is greatly exaggerated. The offense is fine. The defense will still be decent. In fact, I will say that the number one thing Niner fans should freak about is Dawson. Especially with the chance he will be kicking off new turf potentially every home game.

Its not the turf, its the wind.

There were a few articles written out here about how Dawson and Lee haven't figured out the wind yet. The flags on the top of the stadium blow one way but the flags on the goalposts will be going the other way.

Dawson even said that at times the flags on each goalpost will blow in different directions. LOL.

What's concerning is that with this turf situation they may not get a lot of time to figure the place out.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":1r6g3eko said:
Marvin49":1r6g3eko said:
kearly":1r6g3eko said:
I hope SF is ready to score a ton of points on offense. The "starting" defense looks even worse than I thought it would so far, and the 49ers face several elite offenses in the first 7 weeks. Dallas, Chicago, Philly, and Denver. Arizona and KC's offenses aren't bad either. The one breather they get will be the Rams.

Not saying the 49ers can't win plenty of those games, but they will have to win via the shootout more often than not.

I ask you again...how can the starting D look bad when we haven't even seen the starting D?

That's why I used the airquotes. A little less than half of the starting group was not starting last year. But some of those backups will be starting in week 1.

I've thought all offseason that the 49ers defense is going to be in trouble without Bowman and Smith. Now they've lost Dorsey too, and the fill-ins at those spots have looked borderline awful. In particular I was not impressed with SF's run D, and they face some top shelf running games in the early weeks of the season.

Right.....but no member of the 49ers starting D-Line has played a snap and neither has Patrick Willis.

kearly

Reaction score
I thought I remembered seeing Willis in the first game, must have remembered wrong. Pretty sure I saw Brooks. I know Justin Smith and McDonald didn't play, that was obvious because Carradine and Dial were getting killed against the run. I do remember counting up the players and seeing six starters, while knowing that a couple of those backups would be starting so it was essentially an 8 starter defense.

In any event, I still think that defense is in trouble without Smith, Bowman, and Dorsey, with the opening schedule featuring six out of seven teams with good offenses and all of them having decent or better RBs. I would have maybe retracted that opinion some if the fill in guys at LB and DL had looked amazing, but instead they've looked pretty bad. Smith and McDonald aren't going to play every snap. Those backups are going to see playtime.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":6iqku9o6 said:
I thought I remembered seeing Willis in the first game, must have remembered wrong. Pretty sure I saw Brooks. I know Justin Smith and McDonald didn't play, that was obvious because Carradine and Dial were getting killed against the run. I do remember counting up the players and seeing six starters.

Willis, Justin, McDonald, and Williams haven't played a down. Brooks has played very briefly in both games. Aldon didn't play at all in week one and a bit in week two.

We'll agree to disagree on Brooks and Dial. :D

kearly

Reaction score
Marvin49":2jxx3z21 said:

Brooks is a good player. Dial does not have the anchor I thought he would have coming out of Alabama. I could really care less if he's making tackles by the dozen 5 yards downfield.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":1favkxb0 said:
Marvin49":1favkxb0 said:

Brooks is a good player. Dial does not have the anchor I thought he would have coming out of Alabama.

oops. Sorry.

I meant Carradine and Dial. Through 2 games they have been two of the bright spots...Dial in particular.

As I said...we'll just have to agree to disagree.

kearly

Reaction score
You might remember that I complimented the 49ers for getting Dial in 2013. I wanted him for the Hawks. He's going to be a pure run stuffer but I have been underwhelmed by his leverage and anchor in the NFL.

I've always thought Carradine was massively over-rated and was pumped when the 49ers took him. He's done nothing to change my mind. Pure power rusher but lacking whatever special magic Justin Smith has to make that a dominant trait. I change my mind very quickly but he's done nothing yet to make me.

Their combined struggles against the run have not only been obvious to the eye test but show up in the box scores, or at least it did in the Ravens game. In the Broncos game they hardly had to run because every pass was an automatic 10 yards.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":3oa44ucs said:
You might remember that I complimented the 49ers for getting Dial in 2013. I wanted him for the Hawks. He's going to be a pure run stuffer but I have been underwhelmed by his leverage and anchor in the NFL.

I've always thought Carradine was massively over-rated and was pumped when the 49ers took him. He's done nothing to change my mind. Pure power rusher but lacking whatever special magic Justin Smith has to make that a dominant trait.

I remember that.

I've been impressed with him tho in preseason. He's made some mistakes but flashes some great play.

Dial has been one of the best players of the preseason...so not sure what you're watching. He had 10 tackles and forced two fumbles in week 1 and against Denver the Niner second and third teams did a pretty good job of shutting down the run. He stuffed the RB for a loss on one of his first plays.

kearly

Reaction score
Against Baltimore he was giving up ground pretty much every play, and Baltimore's run blocking was epically bad last year. The few times I saw him play in 2013 he did not meet my expectations either. Tackles aren't a meaningful stat except for maybe certain LBs if they have a ton of them. FF are pure luck for most players. With a DT I want to see anchor and disruption. There is a little bit of disruptive nature to him but he can be moved too easily for a guy in that kind of role.

I would expect you to disagree. You are a homer, albeit a well mannered and magnanimous one.

Keep in mind, I am not saying that I think SF's defense will be this bad in the regular season. I just see some worrisome indicators for a defense I was already bearish on. The fact that they open up against some really good offenses in the first seven games is going to lead to some shootouts like the Green Bay opener last year.

I think SF's offense can keep up. But if the offense stumbles even a little I think 4-3 out of the gate is a realistic possibility.

I am really interested in the Dallas game. For as terrible as their defense is, Dallas is a good team in week 1 every year, and they are a tough team at home. I think that's going to be a really interesting game. That plus you know that Dallas has been obsessing over that game for months just like the Packers have for Seattle. And week 1 is wacky week 1. That game is a toss up for me.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":3dcsu8yc said:
Against Baltimore he was giving up ground pretty much every play, and Baltimore's run blocking was epically bad last year. The few times I saw him play in 2013 he did not meet my expectations either. Tackles aren't a meaningful stat except for maybe certain LBs if they have a ton of them. FF are pure luck for most players. With a DT I want to see anchor and disruption. There is a little bit of disruptive nature to him but he can be moved too easily for a guy in that kind of role.

I would expect you to disagree. You are a homer, albeit a well mannered and magnanimous one.

Keep in mind, I am not saying that I think SF's defense will be this bad in the regular season. I just see some worrisome indicators for a defense I was already bearish on. The fact that they open up against some really good offenses in the first seven games is going to lead to some shootouts like the Green Bay opener last year.

I think SF's offense can keep up. But if the offense stumbles even a little I think 4-3 out of the gate is a realistic possibility.

LOL.

If you say so.