49ers fire Wilks

GemCity

Reaction score
This! I was calling for Bevell's head/job back then. Even though he wasn't fully to blame, doing nothing screams zero accountability to the players and fans. If Bevell got fired in 2015, who here would have cried about it, thinking it was an overreaction or missing his playcalling?
True. I put a ‘scapegoat’ meme in this thread but tbh, he should’ve been canned.

They did the right thing.

The decision wasn’t necessarily based off of the last game.

bileever

Reaction score
Very interesting article by Tim Kawakami in the Athletic on the Wilks firing: https://theathletic.com/5276062/202..._3fw3Y4BQctSJEUpNRTK2R-_kBFfUIu4v9Sqc-Dndg-TU
(Sorry, it may be behind a paywall.)

Shanahan, the article explains, is very much wedded to the old Pete Carroll defense, and wants to stick with it: "Shanahan and Lynch logically wanted to keep the same Seahawks-style Cover 3 scheme that fits their roster so well, but they also wanted an authoritative figure. Wilks had the authority, but no experience in the Seattle system. So the 49ers’ brass just hoped he’d pick up on the scheme. But it never happened. Wilks was always the outsider looking in."

It goes to show you that the scheme can still work if you have the right horses. Who else besides the 49ers run this scheme?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Very interesting article by Tim Kawakami in the Athletic on the Wilks firing: https://theathletic.com/5276062/202..._3fw3Y4BQctSJEUpNRTK2R-_kBFfUIu4v9Sqc-Dndg-TU
(Sorry, it may be behind a paywall.)

Shanahan, the article explains, is very much wedded to the old Pete Carroll defense, and wants to stick with it: "Shanahan and Lynch logically wanted to keep the same Seahawks-style Cover 3 scheme that fits their roster so well, but they also wanted an authoritative figure. Wilks had the authority, but no experience in the Seattle system. So the 49ers’ brass just hoped he’d pick up on the scheme. But it never happened. Wilks was always the outsider looking in."

It goes to show you that the scheme can still work if you have the right horses. Who else besides the 49ers run this scheme?

Quite a few but can't think of a list off-hand. Brandon Staley I believe runs that system.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hmmm Dallas, it's what improved them when Richard was there and then Quinn.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Marvin,
Maybe. But wasn't it also top 5 against the pass this year?

What was the ranking against the pass before him?
I seem to remember the 49ers looking like the secondary was their weak link, at least until this year.

Weirdly enough, the thing that lost the game for the 49ers was that special teams gaffe by whatshisname. Once that ball bounced off the blocker's leg, the PR should have jumped on the ball...not tried to pick it up. (Not sure why that SF player was even blocking that close to the PR. That swung the momentum and also resulted in a TD that turned the game around. Should have fired the special teams coach if you want someone to blame. That was moronic.)

Sure the 49ers struggled against the run, but weren't the Rams one of the worst run defenses in the NFL when they won the SB? Stopping the run seems barely important as a defensive stat*, as offenses and offensive rule change benefits focus on the pass. You can be bottom third against the run, exceptional against the pass and be just fine. Being good against the run is almost a vanity stat, it only matters if you can stop the pass.

* Stopping QB runs is still important though.

Last edited:

Marvin49

Reaction score
Marvin,
Maybe. But wasn't it also top 5 against the pass this year?

What was the ranking against the pass before him?
I seem to remember the 49ers looking like the secondary was their weak link, at least until this year.

Weirdly enough, the thing that lost the game for the 49ers was that special teams gaffe by whatshisname. Once that ball bounced off the blocker's leg, the PR should have jumped on the ball...not tried to pick it up. (Not sure why that SF player was even blocking that close to the PR. That swung the momentum and also resulted in a TD that turned the game around. Should have fired the special teams coach if you want someone to blame. That was moronic.)

Sure the 49ers struggled against the run, but weren't the Rams one of the worst run defenses in the NFL when they won the SB? Stopping the run seems barely important as a defensive stat*, as offenses and offensive rule change benefits focus on the pass. You can be bottom third against the run, exceptional against the pass and be just fine. Being good against the run is almost a vanity stat, it only matters if you can stop the pass.

* Stopping QB runs is still important though.

The 49ers were a top 5 scoring defense (18.8 PPG), but:

- 27th in 3rd down percentage
- Went from 1st to 12th in EPA per play
- Fell from the best rushing defense to 26th
- Sack percentage dropped to 20th
- Players were frustrated with scheme
- Shanahan called Wilks out after Vikings game
- Moved Wilks from the booth to sideline
- Shanahan had to play too big of a role in the defensive game-plan going into and during the Super Bowl
- Multiple conversations about how the front four wasn't tied to the back-end.

bileever

Reaction score
There was always going to be a regression after losing a great coach like DeMeco Ryans. It's not like there was a huge fall-off. I mean, they made it to the Super Bowl, for chrissakes.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
There was always going to be a regression after losing a great coach like DeMeco Ryans. It's not like there was a huge fall-off. I mean, they made it to the Super Bowl, for chrissakes.
Hopefully the dumb decision on the coin toss and Shanahan forgetting to run the ball just like in Atlanta and this scapegoat firing is the beginning of the fall like us 10 years ago.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Basically this loss all on Shanahan not Wilkes I mean you are killing the Chiefs with the best running back in the game and decide just like Pete to coddle Purdy and totally ignore CMC? Who's the actual reason you got to the Superbowl.

Do you understand Patrick and Travis were laughing at that coin toss decision? Please do put their defense in when the game is on the line. They literally poked the bear and got exactly as expected and deserved.

I've never understood why such a pair of rat faced men think they're all that when they are known to be complete boneheaded assholes unless they have the very best players to save them from their own arrogance just like Pete.

Last edited:

bileever

Reaction score
Hopefully the dumb decision on the coin toss and Shanahan forgetting to run the ball just like in Atlanta and this scapegoat firing is the beginning of the fall like us 10 years ago.
Yes, I hope it's the beginning of the end.

Marvin49

Reaction score

Regression sure....but not a conflict between HC and DC on philosophy.

This isn't excusing Kyle BTW. I don't think this is a scapegoat situation at all, but this is still Kyles fault for having hired someone from outside the building with a different philosophy to begin with.

Kyle has NEVER intervened on D. Never. Not till this year. It was clear after the Minn game there was a rift. This is why Niner fans aren't surprised.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Basically this loss all on Shanahan not Wilkes I mean you are killing the Chiefs with the best running back in the game and decide just like Pete to coddle Purdy and totally ignore CMC? Who's the actual reason you got to the Superbowl.

Do you understand Patrick and Travis were laughing at that coin toss decision? Please do put their defense in when the game is on the line. They literally poked the bear and got exactly as expected and deserved.

I've never understood why such a pair of rat faced men think they're all that when they are known to be complete boneheaded assholes unless they have the very best players to save them from their own arrogance just like Pete.

Weird insults aside, I don't think anyone is blaming Wilks, including Kyle.

This move wasn't about the SB. It was brewing all year.

Threedee

Reaction score
This! I was calling for Bevell's head/job back then. Even though he wasn't fully to blame, doing nothing screams zero accountability to the players and fans. If Bevell got fired in 2015, who here would have cried about it, thinking it was an overreaction or missing his playcalling?
Bevell actually threw the game away, aside from being a shitty OC. Wilks didn't do enough to secure an overall victory?

flv2

Reaction score
Was it dumb?

If I understand the new rules, the 3rd possession is sudden death. Makes sense to have that advantage in your pocket. Arguably you should be super aggressive in scoring a TD with the 1st possession to prevent never getting to the 3rd.
Crunching the numbers suggest it's marginal either way. If the game gets to the 3rd possession it's a clear advantage for the team that has the ball 1st and 3rd. This is most likely if neither team scores on their 1st possession. If both teams score TDs on their 1st possession it's an advantage for the team that has the ball 2nd. A FG on the 1st possession for the team with the ball 1st has reduced value, (since the 2nd team knows the situation and won't punt). Short range FGs on the opening possession have significantly reduced value, (If you go for a 4th down conversion from the 8 yard line and fail the 2nd team gets the ball there. Kick a FG and the ball likely comes out to the 25).

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Weird insults aside, I don't think anyone is blaming Wilks, including Kyle.

This move wasn't about the SB. It was brewing all year.
If that helps you sleep at night fine by me but just know it doesn't solve the actual issue which is Shanahan a
Was it dumb?

If I understand the new rules, the 3rd possession is sudden death. Makes sense to have that advantage in your pocket. Arguably you should be super aggressive in scoring a TD with the 1st possession to prevent never getting to the 3rd.
Obviously you NEVER give Patrick or Travis or Andy a chance so yes. Kansas City was literally laughing and trying to keep it normal.

Every Chiefs fan snd Swifties that were slready Chiefs fans were in total shock that Shanahan basically gave the Chiefs s back to back Super Bowl no effort required.

Last edited:

Jac

Reaction score
Was it dumb?

The Chiefs had four downs to score all the way down the field. Then, they would have the ability to secure the win with a two-point conversion. Even if the 49ers had scored a touchdown, it was never getting to a third possession.

"Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes disclosed the team's game plan if the San Francisco 49ers scored a touchdown on the first possession in overtime of Super Bowl 58.
"We were going for two," Mahomes said on ESPN's SportsCenter when asked about the team's decision after a potential game-tying touchdown by the Chiefs. "I don't know if [head coach Andy] Reid wants me telling everybody, but we would've went for two for sure."