49ers fire Wilks

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Didn't the SF D hold KC to 19 points in regulation during the SB?
Didn't the SF O get the ball first and fail to score a TD in overtime?
Wouldn't the bigger problem be kicking that FG in overtime when they were gashing KC running all over them to get into the RZ?

If I decided to ishcan a coach, it would be the guy responsible for some of those godawful decisions on offense...not the DC considering the defense was really the only reason you were in the game in the first place.

Jac

Reaction score
Didn't the SF D hold KC to 19 points in regulation during the SB?
Didn't the SF O get the ball first and fail to score a TD in overtime?
Wouldn't the bigger problem be kicking that FG in overtime when they were gashing KC running all over them to get into the RZ?

If I decided to ishcan a coach, it would be the guy responsible for some of those godawful decisions on offense...not the DC considering the defense was really the only reason you were in the game in the first place.
Yep, they played great defense against Mahomes. They got tired and Mahomes is the GOAT (or second to), but they were the reason that game go to overtime.

bileever

Reaction score
All I can say is wow. He was good enough to get you to the Super Bowl, and hold the Chiefs to 19 points. How does this make sense? What ever happened to "We win together, we lose together"? At the very least, it comes off looking like a hasty and emotional decision, coming so soon after the loss. Good luck finding a new coordinator because the next guy will know that Kyle doesn't have your back.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Not a big surprise. Issues really started with that Zero Blitz before halftime vs Minn.

Run D was horrible going down the stretch. Just wasn't a fit. Actually called a timeout in the SB because Wilks had called another Zero Blitz.

Just not on same page.

Marvin49

Reaction score
All I can say is wow. He was good enough to get you to the Super Bowl, and hold the Chiefs to 19 points. How does this make sense? What ever happened to "We win together, we lose together"? At the very least, it comes off looking like a hasty and emotional decision, coming so soon after the loss. Good luck finding a new coordinator because the next guy will know that Kyle doesn't have your back.

No....this wasn't about the SB. It was about Minn, Cincy, Arizona, GB, and Detroit.

knownone

Reaction score
What I found most compelling about this is that Shanahan said he expected all his coaches to return yesterday. What changed?

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I can actually respect that they did something, even though he was not the problem, having a scape goat does present accountability. What the hell did our Hawks do after SB 49...Bevell should have been fired then. As much as "should of ran it", if DB was fired after that SB even as a scape goat if that would have helped the team buy back in a little better.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Harsh, but how many here wish Pete had done something similar in 2015?

This! I was calling for Bevell's head/job back then. Even though he wasn't fully to blame, doing nothing screams zero accountability to the players and fans. If Bevell got fired in 2015, who here would have cried about it, thinking it was an overreaction or missing his playcalling?

NJlargent

Reaction score
It
This! I was calling for Bevell's head/job back then. Even though he wasn't fully to blame, doing nothing screams zero accountability to the players and fans. If Bevell got fired in 2015, who here would have cried about it, thinking it was an overreaction or missing his playcalling?

They fired someone to keep the locker room so Wilks went down. They learned from us and did the opposite.

Jac

Reaction score
It

They fired someone to keep the locker room so Wilks went down. They learned from us and did the opposite.
Yeah, but they know it was Shanahan’s overtime strategy and a few of his play calls that cost them the SB.

flv2

Reaction score
You hire someone in good faith. Sometimes it doesn't work out. You want to do different things in different ways. It's a convenient time for the 2 of them to split and go their separate ways. Wilks has had 5 jobs in 6 years. He might not be the easiest guy to get along with.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Done what? Fired himself for throwing the ball?
As noted by others above, it sends a message about accountability to the team regardless of percentage of culpability of the coordinator vs the HC.

The LOB imploded in large part due to infighting over lack of accountability.

Jac

Reaction score

It is what it is, but Wilkes called a better game than Shanahan. His defense produced what should have been a game-altering interception in KC territory to start the third, and Shanahan's offense went on to produce three consecutive three-and-outs. This doesn't even get into the coin toss botch.

Latest posts