49ers fire Wilks

Marvin49

Reaction score
The Chiefs had four downs to score all the way down the field. Then, they would have the ability to secure the win with a two-point conversion. Even if the 49ers had scored a touchdown, it was never getting to a third possession.

"Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes disclosed the team's game plan if the San Francisco 49ers scored a touchdown on the first possession in overtime of Super Bowl 58.
"We were going for two," Mahomes said on ESPN's SportsCenter when asked about the team's decision after a potential game-tying touchdown by the Chiefs. "I don't know if [head coach Andy] Reid wants me telling everybody, but we would've went for two for sure."

Actually they didn't. They had 4 downs until they got into FG range. Then they have a down and distance choice to make because they only needed a FG. If they were in range, don't get the 4th down...then they are questioned for why they don't kick the FG.

Honestly, I'd rather they deferred, but I don't think the choice was as black and white as so many say.

Marvin49

Reaction score
If that helps you sleep at night fine by me but just know it doesn't solve the actual issue which is Shanahan a

Obviously you NEVER give Patrick or Travis or Andy a chance so yes. Kansas City was literally laughing and trying to keep it normal.

Every Chiefs fan snd Swifties that were slready Chiefs fans were in total shock that Shanahan basically gave the Chiefs s back to back Super Bowl no effort required.

I sleep fine.

I'd rather have a coach that gives you a chance to win it than one that can't even get there.

Don't really care what KC was doing. The only TD KC scored all game up to that point was a 16 yard drive after a muffed punt. Its easy to play the woulda shoulda game after and while I wish they had deferred, its not as claer cut as so many might think.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I think it was more of Wilks was forced to fit the 49ers system rather than the 49ers fit Wilks system. It was kind of off from the start. Also, they played well in the Superbowl but massively underperformed in the NFC championship and divisional game. Shanahan overided a blitz call in OT
Yeah, not a good look for the HC-DC relationship.

Green Bay called a cover-0 blitz against Seattle in OT in the 2014 NFCCG (played in early 2015). Russell Wilson read it and hit Jermaine Kearse for a 35-yard TD to send Seattle to their 2nd straight Super Bowl. Probably even riskier to run zero against Mahomes in that situation.