The 49ers Super Bowl Window Has Closed, But So Has the Division.

49ersNFCWsBest

Reaction score
I don't understand the "window is closing on the 49ers " talk.

Outside of Trent Williams the 49ers offense is relatively young. They have a young franchise QB in Purdy. McCaffrey Deebo Ayiuk and Kittle are all in their prime and in no way close to retirement or decline.

On defense Warner Greenlaw and Bosa are also in their prime. Ward isn't retiring any time soon.
The 49ers are not cap strapped. John Lynch has been amazing.

I guess if one person says something then it will be repeated over and over again until the sheep believe it.

The 49ers should be in control of the NFC WEST and playoff bound for years to come.

Once in the playoffs it's just a dash to the finish line.

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nah, it's not closing. But after they choke on Sunday, it will probably feel like it for Santa Clara fans. They're a damn good team, obviously.

LastRideOut

Reaction score

Outside of Trent Williams the 49ers offense is relatively young. They have a young franchise QB in Purdy. McCaffrey Deebo Ayiuk and Kittle are all in their prime and in no way close to retirement or decline.

On defense Warner Greenlaw and Bosa are also in their prime. Ward isn't retiring any time soon.

I guess if one person says something then it will be repeated over and over again until the sheep believe it.

The 49ers should be in control of the NFC WEST and playoff bound for years to come.

$$$$$ and the cap.

Teams tend to peak, and then just like that, the window is closed. It doesn't mean they stop being competitive. It just means they aren't in the top tier anymore. Lots of recent examples. Eagles have been between the top tier and mid tiers for a few years now. SB in '17, again in '22. Same for Niners. SB in '12 and again in '19, and now again in '23.

It's hard for a team to consistently go deep in the playoffs.

If you remove cap and $$$ considerations, then yes I would agree that the Niners might be able to stay on top for "years to come".

bigskydoc

Reaction score

While I disagree with the OP that the window is closed, I think you do a good job of outlining the problem with keeping it open here.

Your big stars are in their prime, and you have several of them. And you have done a lot of restructuring already. The cap hits are coming due in '25 and '26.

Purdy will sign an extension next year that should push any significant cap implications into 2027.

Ayiuk has a 10 mill jump in his cap hit next year, and will be an UFA in 2025. At 26, he will be looking for a long-term payday. You can probably push his next big cap hit into 2026 or 2027.

Similarly, Cmac has an 11 million jump, and hits free agency in 2026. I doubt he sees another big contract. How does he sustain his play into his 30s? If he does, he probably has a big cap hit for 2026 or 2027.

Samuel has a 20 million jump, then a potential out next year. He is also a '26 UFA.

Kittle has a 12 million jump next year, unless they exercise their out. He also hits free agency in '26. At 30, he probably doesn't have another big payday, unless he is let go this year.

Warner is cheap, but hits free agency in 2025, and will be looking for a payday.

Greenlaw is the same. 2025 free agency.

Bosa doesn't have a big increase in his cap hit until 2026.

Ward has a 12 million jump next year.

You can probably remain competitive with the current lineup into the 2025 or 2026 season, but these cap hits are going to start forcing some hard decisions. Some of the dead cap numbers are pretty staggering, so you don't have a lot of wiggle room there.

It's really a question of how well you draft to replace. The Lance move was probably the most boneheaded draft move that I can remember, but then you pulled a Purdy out of the hat. Other than that, the Niners have drafted well. You will be drafting in the latter part of the next two drafts. That has unique challenges, but it isn't uncharted territory for the Niners.

You have the benefit of a pretty bad cap situation in Seattle, and the Cardinals perpetually being the Cardinals. McVay and company are knocking at the door, though.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Their window is open for a couple more years, then it will close, and the Hawks' window will be opening. 'Twas always thus.