2023 Seahawks Depth Chart, Roster Moves, Cap Position

Jville

Reaction score
Thanks Jville!!!

At present I will show these two waiver wire players added to the 53 but there will need to be at least one more corresponding moves to compensate.

I will hold off on announcing the PS additions as they still are speculative though more than likely accurate.

Updating

Music while waiting on who gets released and who is added ..............

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thanks my friend, my error.

I have the PS on my mind as none of the apparent additions have been confirmed by the team or officially yet.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Here now from the team's site are all the transactions of today, so far.

08/30
Claimed CB Kyu Blu Kelly and LB Drake Thomas off waivers. Released CB Artie Burns and LB Jon Rhattigan. Signed QB Holton Ahlers, LB Levi Bell, CB Lance Boykin, CB Artie Burns, T Greg Eiland, NT Matt Gotel, C Joey Hunt, WR Cade Johnson, RB Bryant Koback, WR Matt Landers, TE Tyler Mabry, LB Patrick O'Connell, S Ty Okada, RB SaRodorick Thompson and WR Easop Winston Jr. to the practice squad.

The PS is now complete with one open spot and the corresponding player cut after the Drake Thomas waiver claim is ILB Jon Rhattigan. He may be added back to the PS upon clearing waivers.

source: https://www.seahawks.com/team/transactions/

Updated now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The roster and PS are now up to date there is one open PS slot.

This team looks stronger than it has done for quite a few seasons. There appears to be a a lot of depth on both sides of the ball and the PS looks strong as well.

Of course a great deal is riding upon a few rookie players to show up and ball out at their respective positions. That caveat was put on the team last season and the rookies showed up. I expect good things from our players drafted this season as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I must admit upon looking at the roster and the state of health of the young players on the roster there (Mone, Young, and Morris) that the interior DLine presently looks like it could use some help.
I suppose Gotel will be called up from the PS a few times before he loses eligibility or the team makes a roster move. This of course is the same issue that we have been hashing over since before the draft.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
A point of interest to some is the team has now made just over 200 roster moves before the first game has been played. JS is actively churning the roster at a few positions to find the right fits.

I expect he is a long way from being done and we will a good deal more churn this year.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Looks like a few more moves made to the practice squad yesterday.

LB Rhattigan was signed to the PS
CB Robert Rochell (previously released by Rams) signed to PS

QB Holton Ahlers and OL Greg Eiland were released from the PS

Rhattigan is showing on the team's roster page, but Rochell is not showing yet. They only list 15. He may just not have been in town to sign paperwork immediately or something.

Not that you need it but here's a link to the team roster page for verification that the two released are no longer listed

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I will be away from my computer for a few stretches today and there are a number of roster moves that are not yet clear as to the numbers and the players waived, released, or cut.

As a result I will be a bit slow in bring ing things up to date.

Last edited:

Jville

Reaction score
Brady Henderson reported that Johnathan Sutherland signed a 6 week injury settlement after which he is eligible to resign 3 weeks later in week 9. Haven't heard/read anything about the duration of the Joey Blount injury settlement. But, both are development projects. So, they will probably reappear on someone's practice squad during the course of this season.

Jville

Reaction score
Found this article from earlier this year. It does a really good job of explaining all kinds of roster/salary related topics. Most every question can be answered here, just short of reading the actual CBA. I learned some new things.

Nice (y) .....................

This quoted portion, from the article, clarifies a few things for me.

"PRACTICE SQUADS​

Roster size: The practice squad now consists of 16 players as of 2023. The max was 12 players in 2021.

Eligibility: The rules for roster size and eligibility for the practice squad were amended by the NFL and NFL Players Association in May 2022. Players with no accrued seasons and those with fewer than nine regular-season games in their lone accrued season are eligible for the practice squad. Teams can also have a maximum of 10 players who have earned no more than two accrued seasons. Each team can have up to six players with unlimited accrued seasons on the practice squad. However, the number of players in the last two categories cannot exceed 10 players combined.

Standard elevation addendum: Now included in all practice squad contracts, the standard elevation addendum allows teams to move a player from the practice squad to the active/inactive list for one week and then back to the practice squad without subjecting him to waivers. Under this addendum, a player reverts back to his team's practice squad on the first business day after the game in which he is elevated. These players receive the applicable minimum salary for a player with his number of credited seasons (prorated for one week of regular-season pay or the applicable postseason amount). This clause can be used by a team for a maximum of three regular-season or postseason games per player per season. Each practice-squad player can be elevated for a maximum of three regular-season games in the same league year. After this, any subsequent elevation of the player will require the team to add him to their 53-man Active/Inactive List. The team must then waive or terminate his player contract before the player can be re-signed to the practice squad. If the player is re-signed to the practice squad this way, the player is again eligible to be elevated for the previously mentioned maximum of three games."

Good summary. I have no interest in wading thru 456 pages of lawyer talk. Thanks for posting.

Latest posts