2023 defense, will the league respect?

toffee

Reaction score
Our front 7 will be full of new faces, our DBs ought to be one of the best in the league, but can this defense stop the run better than '22? Will the rest of the league fear this defense?

DefenseUDFA
DEJarran ReedMike MorrisJonah Tavai, Jordan Ferguson
NTCameroon YoungMone* injuredRobert Cooper
DEDre'Mont JonesMyles AdamsM.J. Anderson, Ifeanyi Maijeh
OLBBoye MafeTaylorVi JonesCam Bright
MLBBobby WagnerNick BelloreJoshua OnujioguMichael Ayers
MLBDevin BushJordyn BrooksJon RhattiganRobert Barnes
OLBUchenna Nwosu
Derick Hall
Tyreka SmithPatrick O’Connell
LCBDevon Witherspoon
Michael Jackson
Chris SteeleJames Campbell
RCBTariq WoolenIsaiah DunnArquon Bush
NCBJulian LoveCoby BryantTre BrownLance Boykin
SSJamal AdamsJerrick Reed IIMo Osling, Christian Young
FSDiggsJoey BlountTy Okada

Last edited:

Scout

Reaction score
Reed, Wagner, and Adams can play the run. Young is known for his run stopping from college and Jones is able to generate TFLs as well as Love. I am not too familiar with Bush's run grades versus Barton's so I will have to look into that Witherspoon is definitely a reliable run defender from this college tape. Overall the transformation of the front seven is almost complete. I am sure the Hawks will sign some veteran players along the line at some point.

I will say that if the Hawks can stop the run on the early downs that this will lead to a lot more pressures, sacks and coverage sack opportunities.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Reed, Wagner, and Adams can play the run. Young is known for his run stopping from college and Jones is able to generate TFLs as well as Love. I am not too familiar with Bush's run grades versus Barton's so I will have to look into that Witherspoon is definitely a reliable run defender from this college tape. Overall the transformation of the front seven is almost complete. I am sure the Hawks will sign some veteran players along the line at some point.
From my chart, we spent big off season $$ on signing helps for front 7, other than Devin Bush, rest all looked pretty good. I think John and Pete belived that we have enough in front 7 to invest too much draft capital??

Scout

Reaction score
From my chart, we spent big off season $$ on signing helps for front 7, other than Devin Bush, rest all looked pretty good. I think John and Pete belived that we have enough in front 7 to invest too much draft capital??
It is also how the draft board fell but they had covered most of the front seven concerns before heading into the draft. Imagine if the Hawks didn't sign Reed and Jones and relied on the draft to fill those gaps. The draft board of 2023 fell in a way it would have made it a nightmare for the Hawks to fill those two roster spots while trying to address other areas of the team (eg OL, RB). This is why most NFL teams fill as many gaps as they can before the draft.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
toffee - What did you do with Coby Bryant? He's the starting NCB, right?
My bad, I forgot Coby. But he could be the odd man out, Pete will be always compete, but I think they will start Witherspoon opposite Tariq. For nickle back, it will be Love vs Coby? I dunno.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
My bad, I forgot Coby. But he could be the odd man out, Pete will be always compete, but I think they will start Witherspoon opposite Tariq. For nickle back, it will be Love vs Coby? I dunno.
My thoughts are the coaching staff is going to know fairly early on in TC who is the starter... because the NCB will be facing off against JSN and his elusiveness.

It should be one of the more interesting competitions in camp.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
My thoughts are the coaching staff is going to know fairly early on in TC who is the starter... because the NCB will be facing off against JSN and his elusiveness.

It should be one of the more interesting competitions in camp.
Totally agree, folks should be very excited to see that competition.

DanejaHawk

Reaction score
It is also how the draft board fell but they had covered most of the front seven concerns before heading into the draft. Imagine if the Hawks didn't sign Reed and Jones and relied on the draft to fill those gaps. The draft board of 2023 fell in a way it would have made it a nightmare for the Hawks to fill those two roster spots while trying to address other areas of the team (eg OL, RB). This is why most NFL teams fill as many gaps as they can before the draft.
☝🏻 This. The sharp organizations sign draft hedges. The fact that JS went out and signed Brown meant that we didn't have to reach for a C. Proactively signing Dre'mont and Jarran Reed meant that we didn't have to force DL picks.

Now the organization gets to use how the draft board fell to them and the players they did manage to get in the draft as an extended data point with which to reapproach the FA pool and fill in any gaps. Pete was very explicit in saying that they weren't done with FA's in their press conference yesterday.

The roster is far from in its final form, fellas.

Rainger

Reaction score
Our front 7 will be full of new faces, our DBs ought to be one of the best in the league, but can this defense stop the run better than '22? Will the rest of the league fear this defense?

Defense
DEJarran ReedMike MorrisMyles Adams
NTCameroon YoungMone* injured
DEDre'Mont JonesJarrod Hewitt
OLBBoye MafeTaylorVi Jones
MLBBobby WagnerNick BelloreJoshua Onujiogu
MLBDevin BushJordyn BrooksJon Rhattigan
OLBUchenna Nwosu
Derick Hall
Tyreka Smith
LCBDevon Witherspoon
Coby Bryant
Chris Steele
RCBTariq WoolenIsaiah Dunn
NCBJulian LoveTre Brown
SSJamal AdamsJerrick Reed II
FSDiggsJoey Blount
Looks pretty damn good to me.

AgentDib

Reaction score
To me too, but felt like we need a backup NT.

I agree on the impact of UDFAs. We had 54 players total and will be signing a ridiculous number of UDFAs over the next two days to build out a full roster. I expect there will be a handful who make the 53 man roster this year on both sides of the ball.

Jville

Reaction score

Defense
DEJarran ReedMike MorrisMyles Adams
NTCameroon YoungMone* injured
DEDre'Mont JonesJarrod Hewitt
OLBBoye MafeTaylorVi Jones
MLBBobby WagnerNick BelloreJoshua Onujiogu
MLBDevin BushJordyn BrooksJon Rhattigan
OLBUchenna Nwosu
Derick Hall
Tyreka Smith
LCBDevon Witherspoon
Coby Bryant
Chris Steele
RCBTariq WoolenIsaiah Dunn
NCBJulian LoveTre Brown
SSJamal AdamsJerrick Reed II
FSDiggsJoey Blount

The contract of Jarrod Hewitt was terminated some time ago. Hewitt is currently a free agent.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
There are some decent UDFA NT Robert Cooper who already signed with Seattle and Jerrod Clark who I hope they can get.

sutz

Reaction score
I agree on the impact of UDFAs. We had 54 players total and will be signing a ridiculous number of UDFAs over the next two days to build out a full roster. I expect there will be a handful who make the 53 man roster this year on both sides of the ball.
I think we average 1 or 2 UDFA making the final cut each year under Pete. Will be interesting.

Latest posts