2023 defense, will the league respect?

Mick063

Reaction score
Young is the starting NT until they bring in a vet. I'm not worried. Bobby is within earshot, and it is in Bobby's interest to keep those centers off of the Mike Linebacker.

Team is going to be fine.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Young is the starting NT until they bring in a vet. I'm not worried. Bobby is within earshot, and it is in Bobby's interest to keep those centers off of the Mike Linebacker.

Team is going to be fine.
For the sake of snap counts, we probably will sign another NT, or we could have Reed share some NT duties.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
or someone better? I am not sure if we are set, what do you think?
I think Poona and Woods would be a distant Plan B. Poona's mostly a 1-gapper, so I don't know if he fits us anymore. Woods would work, although I'd want to see him as a backup so our young guys develop. And Robert Cooper's nickname is "Trench Monster" so maybe we have more depth than we realize...

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I think Poona and Woods would be a distant Plan B. Poona's mostly a 1-gapper, so I don't know if he fits us anymore. Woods would work, although I'd want to see him as a backup so our young guys develop. And Robert Cooper's nickname is "Trench Monster" so maybe we have more depth than we realize...
I read that the league has been moving away from the 350lbs NT, to smaller 300-320 pounders. Robert Cooper could move inside on certain situations? Anyways, this is beyond my knowledge, I am totally winging it.

Quick Google, top 10 nose tackles h ttps://bleacherreport.com/articles/942101-ranking-the-nfls-10-best-nose-tackles
  1. Casey Hampton 6'1" 325 lbs
  2. Vince Wilock 6'2" 325 lbs
  3. Jeremiah Ratliff 6'4" 303 lbs
  4. Isaac Sopoaga 6'2" 330 lbs
  5. B. J. Raji 6'2" 337 lbs

Last edited:

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
I read that the league has been moving away from the 350lbs NT, to smaller 300-320 pounders. Robert Cooper could move inside on certain situations? Anyways, this is beyond my knowledge, I am totally winging it.
That would explain moving Morris inside

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
or someone better? I am not sure if we are set, what do you think?
I think at a minimum Woods is coming back but probably both. but I don't know how they are going to pay for it. but thats why JS is JS he will figure it out.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score

Quick Google, top 10 nose tackles
  1. Casey Hampton 6'1" 325 lbs
  2. Vince Wilock 6'2" 325 lbs
  3. Jeremiah Ratliff 6'4" 303 lbs
  4. Isaac Sopoaga 6'2" 330 lbs
  5. B. J. Raji 6'2" 337 lbs

Cooper and Young are NT. ~330#
Morris is a DE. ~295
Hall is an OLB ~250

The term DE is confusing because it's used in 4-3 and 3-4 parlance. The difference is that a 3-4 DE is a stouter inside player, generally lined up at the 4i. A 4-3 DE is lighter and tends to be more of a speed rusher, lined up 5+ tech.

e.g. Cliff Avril and Carlos Dunlap were 4-3 DE, but couldn't play 3-4 DE because they were too light (~270# vs ~300).

3-4 OLB/EDGE tend to line up on the line of scrimmage, so the pre-snap formation looks more like a 5-2. They are too light to take on OL and are equally likely to drop into coverage as rush.

Hopefully that helps.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Morris is a DE. ~295
Hall is an OLB ~250

The term DE is confusing because it's used in 4-3 and 3-4 parlance. The difference is that a 3-4 DE is a stouter inside player, generally lined up at the 4i. A 4-3 DE is lighter and tends to be more of a speed rusher, lined up 5+ tech.

e.g. Cliff Avril and Carlos Dunlap were 4-3 DE, but couldn't play 3-4 DE because they were too light (~270# vs ~300).

3-4 OLB/EDGE tend to line up on the line of scrimmage, so the pre-snap formation looks more like a 5-2. They are too light to take on OL and are equally likely to drop into coverage as rush.

Hopefully that helps.
Thanks!!

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this why some players have the "Edge" designation as a 4-3 DE?

Rainger

Reaction score
Best secondary in the league and some serious new beef on the line with wags back to general them all you better believe this will be a top 10 D

Mick063

Reaction score
Morris is a DE. ~295
Hall is an OLB ~250

Hopefully that helps.
I think Taylor and Nwosu are 100% stand up "edge" with strict isolation matchups on the offensive tackle. However, I think Hall plays big enough to put his hand on the ground to be occasionally used in stunts like a traditional LEO. He is only 5 pounds shy of Cliff Avril size. He has the long arms and shedding ability to pull it off. The Georgia videos show plenty of arm strength as well as "get skinny" ability for an interior pass rush. Auburn wasn't afraid to send him inside the tackle either. From what I have seen, he shows well with respect to interior pressure. I just think the guy has more versatility than a straight up edge player. I could even see him dropping back in coverage in the zone blitz action as well. If I had my way, he would never leave the field (when that nickel corner comes in) and his run stopping ability (competently setting the edge) would ensure that Taylor hardly ever sees the field either. I wonder how well he would hold up being isolated against the QB read option running play or being isolated against the QB bootleg play action passing play. I haven't seen video of him in that situation.

Last edited:

Chawker

Reaction score
The way this defense is right now, its problematic at best. Oh, sure we have the best secondary in the NFL, but we were 30th last year in stopping the run. B-wags is a 4-3 LBer and how will this effect his playing in a totally different system ?

If we can't stop the run, how can we get our defense off the field ? Meanwhile the clock is going tic tic tic and we can't stop it. Lack of a effective run support is going to be our downfall in 2023. Bringing back Bwags and draft a hard hitting CB won't get this team in the top 10 in defense. Even if you bring back a 36 year old Woods at NT.

Cheers

warden

Reaction score
Expect a lot of nickle with Adams adding Run support, pass rush and coverage. A safety LB mix

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
We added two UDFA, both 300 pounders, Jonah Tavai, and Robert Cooper. Our DT situation is getting help, could these two the second coming of Poona?