1st Round #5 Pick CB Illinois, Devon Witherspoon

warden

Reaction score
This is kind of frightening.

Hugh Millen said on kjr of all 180lb corners taken in round one the last 25 years only one made all pro, Antoine Winfield and he was a late first round pick.

Man I hope Witherspoon doesnt end up being Jamal Adams 2.0.
I will take Pete Carroll’s judgement on defensive backs over Hugh Millen’a

warden

Reaction score
I agree, 180 lbs. is too light. I'm hoping he can add 15 to 20 lbs. without losing his athleticism.
I would tend to think that the Seahawks definitely looked at his body frame to see if this was possible before they drafted him.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Lions were pissed we snagged Spoon right before and promptly traded out. Smart move

themunn

Reaction score
This is kind of frightening.

Hugh Millen said on kjr of all 180lb corners taken in round one the last 25 years only one made all pro, Antoine Winfield and he was a late first round pick.

Man I hope Witherspoon doesnt end up being Jamal Adams 2.0.

Or he could be another Tyler Lockett who has missed a total of 3 games in 8 years - one with a broken leg, one with a broken finger, and one with Covid-19.

As for the stat - I'd be interested to know how many CBs under 180lbs were actually drafted in the first round to give a reasonable sample size - I suspect it's maximum 10, of which few I imagine are as highly rated as Witherspoon coming out. The briefest of looks I found a couple of guys who were drafted high presumably because of sub 4.3 speed (e.g. Tye Hill), our very own Kelly Jennings and also Jonathan Joseph who carved out a 15 year career, so it's definitely not a career limiter.

We'll see in any case if he adds some weight now as part of an NFL programme.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Who gives a rip with Millen thinks? That guy whines like a 5 year old EVERY SINGLE DRAFT if they don't pick who HE wants.
His opinion has ZERO bearing on how I feel about a draft pick. And yes, he does know his stuff. Just ask him, he'll tell you.
This is the same Hugh Millen who literally gets ANGRY at the picks made on the mock draft that KJR puts on every year. Angry.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I hope DK body slams him just to send a welcome message
We know DK, so I hope Spoon body slams DK to send a message to the league. No opposing team will think DK suddenly got soft. But opposing WRs might think twice about entering the no fly zone!

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I will take Pete Carroll’s judgement on defensive backs over Hugh Millen’a

Heh.

I grew up in Maine, so I know a lot of Cheatriots fans. In their defense, the ones whose opinions I respect, the ones with whom I'm willing to talk about football, were all fans of the Patriots long before Kraft came in and installed his culture of cheating. They suffered through some truly miserable Patriots teams over the years, and I respect that.

After the first round of this year's draft, I was exchanging messages with a guy who grew up across the street from where I grew up. I mentioned to him that (ignoring the Giants' pick) the first-round corners surprised me a little, because Gonzalez seemed more like a "Pete Carroll corner" to me and Witherspoon seemed more like a "Belichick corner" or a safety. I also said that I had actually thought, with my limited exposure to college football, that Gonzalez seemed like a stronger prospect than Witherspoon, but that I was willing to accept that Pete Carroll just might know a little more about defensive-back prospects than I do.

JPPT1974

Reaction score
Secondary and CB's are often overlooked but also very much needed. Need to have someone like him as hope he can be a long haul and long term solution.

bileever

Reaction score
There's an article on seahawks.com today about the goings-on in the draft room at the time of the pick. It's basically state media, so you have to take it with a grain of salt, but it says that they had decided that if Witherspoon was available, they weren't going to trade back.

The article does seem to confirm that they pretty much went with the BPA during the draft. It sounds like there's a chance they might have taken Keeanu Benton at 53 if he hadn't been picked by the Steelers at 49.

sutz

Reaction score
There's an article on seahawks.com today about the goings-on in the draft room at the time of the pick. It's basically state media, so you have to take it with a grain of salt, but it says that they had decided that if Witherspoon was available, they weren't going to trade back.

The article does seem to confirm that they pretty much went with the BPA during the draft. It sounds like there's a chance they might have taken Keeanu Benton at 53 if he hadn't been picked by the Steelers at 49.
That was actually posted in its own thread a day or so ago. Great read, though.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
...the article does seem to confirm that they pretty much went with the BPA during the draft. It sounds like there's a chance they might have taken Keeanu Benton at 53 if he hadn't been picked by the Steelers at 49.

Also sounds like Anderson was a top-pick option, but not Richardson.

I'm super glad they took Witherspoon!

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Who gives a rip with Millen thinks? That guy whines like a 5 year old EVERY SINGLE DRAFT if they don't pick who HE wants.
His opinion has ZERO bearing on how I feel about a draft pick. And yes, he does know his stuff. Just ask him, he'll tell you.
This is the same Hugh Millen who literally gets ANGRY at the picks made on the mock draft that KJR puts on every year. Angry.

Lol. It’s not an opinion it was just a random stat. It could have been anybody that stated it. And no, it really doesn’t mean anything. I just thought it was interesting.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He knows his stuff, I don't deny that. I just think he's an arrogant know it all. Always has been. He was butt hurt ever since they let his buddy Matt go, and never seemed to get over it. And if the team doesn't pick someone HE wants, he goes full 3 year old. A big reason I rarely listen to KJR these days.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
It was a useless fact though.

Why was it useless? Because it proposes a seahawk player might not be as good as advertised and hurts peoples feelings? Nobody knows. It was just a random stat. Who knows, Witherspoon could fall into that category or be the greatest CB ever. It’s up in the air but the statistics are pretty damning.