1st Round #5 Pick CB Illinois, Devon Witherspoon

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Exactly. The thought that immediately came to my mind when I originally watched the vid was this: "Wow, they allow way more stuff in college -- makes the NFL look like an over-regulated pansy league."

Hopefully BlueTalon is right, that they'll be able to coach him to look a little less violent, somehow.
I don't want them to coach out the violence, I want them to coach how to channel the violence within the rules. One of those highlight hits looked helmet-to-helmet to me, and that's going to be a practically guaranteed penalty. Taunting, same thing. I don't mind him being an assassin, I just want him to be an assassin with few penalties.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I don't want them to coach out the violence, I want them to coach how to channel the violence within the rules. One of those highlight hits looked helmet-to-helmet to me, and that's going to be a practically guaranteed penalty. Taunting, same thing. I don't mind him being an assassin, I just want him to be an assassin with few penalties.
They would review it first and see..He comes in so fast that it may look that way.
However there may be times where it is accidental but that happens to a lot of
players..People move at last second so you hit where you didn't intend to.
A plus is that I see him slamming and wrapping which he doesn't need to just hit
all the time.
I can't wait to see this guy-A Ronnie Lott comp type player

BlueTalon

Reaction score
They would review it first and see..He comes in so fast that it may look that way.
However there may be times where it is accidental but that happens to a lot of
players..People move at last second so you hit where you didn't intend to.
A plus is that I see him slamming and wrapping which he doesn't need to just hit
all the time.
I can't wait to see this guy-A Ronnie Lott comp type player
I remember Kam's sideline hit on Vernon Davis -- a textbook hit right in the chestplate, but it was so violent that it got the flag because of what the refs thought they saw when Davis' head ragdolled.

pmedic920

Reaction score
After watching the OP's video, I am a little worried.

I saw some excellent tackling, but I also saw a lot of things that would be penalized in today's NFL -- especially against the Hawks. I'm really hoping I'm wrong.

These are some of the things that I could see the refs throwing a flag for:
-Very first clip is a defenseless player penalty
-:56 Taunting
-1:08 Pass Interference
-1:26 ticky-tack Pass Interference
-2:40 ticky-tack Pass Interference
-2:56 ticky-tack Unnecessary Roughness

Maybe I've just become too jaded by bullshit penalties by the refs these past few years, but I'm really hoping I'm just being paranoid and someone talks me off the ledge. I don't hate the pick, and this is not me complaining; I'm just a little worried.
Coaching matters.

We have no choice but to trust our staff.

I believe this kid transitions just fine.
He’ll get flagged a few times but he’s a proven intellectual football player.

bsuhawk

Reaction score

I have a question for those who have actually watched Witherspoon play (i.e., more than just highlight videos). The first highlight in the attached video is Witherspoon blowing up the RB from Indiana. I'm sure all of you have seen this, but notice when Witherspoon starts his sprint toward the RB. It was before the ball was snapped. The second play is Witherspoon's interception against Northwestern. He's at the bottom of the screen dropping back into zone coverage. Notice when he breaks on the ball and how far away he is. He started his break before the QB started his throwing motion. His highlights are filled with these kinds of plays.

Witherspoon obviously does his homework, has great anticipation, and trusts what he sees. Or to say this in a different way...he guesses...a lot. I can see why PC compared him to Troy Polamalu, who built a Hall of Fame career out of guessing correctly. But that's my question. How often does he guess incorrectly? It must not be that often, otherwise, he wouldn't have been the fifth pick in the draft. However, I got to wonder how well this will translate to the NFL.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
After watching the OP's video, I am a little worried.

I saw some excellent tackling, but I also saw a lot of things that would be penalized in today's NFL -- especially against the Hawks. I'm really hoping I'm wrong.

These are some of the things that I could see the refs throwing a flag for:
-Very first clip is a defenseless player penalty
-:56 Taunting
-1:08 Pass Interference
-1:26 ticky-tack Pass Interference
-2:40 ticky-tack Pass Interference
-2:56 ticky-tack Unnecessary Roughness

Maybe I've just become too jaded by bullshit penalties by the refs these past few years, but I'm really hoping I'm just being paranoid and someone talks me off the ledge. I don't hate the pick, and this is not me complaining; I'm just a little worried.
Yo, deadass I thought I was the only one with these same....concerns! The very first post on here about 'Spoon (a week or two before the draft) I mentioned the same thing. And, actually, I don't think we have anything to worry about. As mentioned, I think the positives FARRRRR outweigh any negatives, and any penalties are a small price to pay for what you get with a DAWG ASS GOON like 'Spoon! I will ALWAYS prefer a guy who has that kind of mental makeup and passion over an aloof choirboy. ESPECIALLY at that position. Plus, from what I have gathered, he's an intelligent kid and it won't take much to reign him in when it's required. Non issue, IMHO.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
This is kind of frightening.

Hugh Millen said on kjr of all 180lb corners taken in round one the last 25 years only one made all pro, Antoine Winfield and he was a late first round pick.

Man I hope Witherspoon doesnt end up being Jamal Adams 2.0.

pmedic920

Reaction score

I have a question for those who have actually watched Witherspoon play (i.e., more than just highlight videos). The first highlight in the attached video is Witherspoon blowing up the RB from Indiana. I'm sure all of you have seen this, but notice when Witherspoon starts his sprint toward the RB. It was before the ball was snapped. The second play is Witherspoon's interception against Northwestern. He's at the bottom of the screen dropping back into zone coverage. Notice when he breaks on the ball and how far away he is. He started his break before the QB started his throwing motion. His highlights are filled with these kinds of plays.

Witherspoon obviously does his homework, has great anticipation, and trusts what he sees. Or to say this in a different way...he guesses...a lot. I can see why PC compared him to Troy Polamalu, who built a Hall of Fame career out of guessing correctly. But that's my question. How often does he guess incorrectly? It must not be that often, otherwise, he wouldn't have been the fifth pick in the draft. However, I got to wonder how well this will translate to the NFL.

Maybe we can say he hypothesizes instead of merely guessing.

IIRC a hypothesis is an EDUCATED guess based on evidence.
The evidence would be what he sees pre snap.

The kid is simply too good to be just taking wild guesses.

IMO/YMMV

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
This is kind of frightening.

Hugh Millen said on kjr of all 180lb corners taken in round one the last 25 years only one made all pro, Antoine Winfield and he was a late first round pick.

Man I hope Witherspoon doesnt end up being Jamal Adams 2.0.
My god man, lighten up. Geezus man. Not EVERYTHING sucks.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt. Then again, he's probably cool and hopefully we raise a pint someday. Guess I just don't get the doom and gloom 24/7.
Legit concern and frustration? Absolutely. It is what is is.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
Maybe we can say he hypothesizes instead of merely guessing.

IIRC a hypothesis is an EDUCATED guess based on evidence.
The evidence would be what he sees pre snap.

The kid is simply too good to be just taking wild guesses.

IMO/YMMV
I suppose a better (more appropriate?) term would be instincts. The kid shows great instincts. And it's obvious that he watches a lot of film. I have to wonder though if this is something OCs and QBs will take advantage of in the NFL. In the press conference with Witherspoon PC talked about grilling him in his interview, asking him what he saw, when he saw it, and why he did what he did. Pete came away from the interviews convinced Witherspoon is the real deal. With his physical skills, if Witherspoon actually is one of those rare players who seem to have a sixth sense as to what the offense is going to do (e.g., Troy Polamalu), he could be very special.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I suppose a better (more appropriate?) term would be instincts. The kid shows great instincts. And it's obvious that he watches a lot of film. I have to wonder though if this is something OCs and QBs will take advantage of in the NFL. In the press conference with Witherspoon PC talked about grilling him in his interview, asking him what he saw, when he saw it, and why he did what he did. Pete came away from the interviews convinced Witherspoon is the real deal. With his physical skills, if Witherspoon actually is one of those rare players who seem to have a sixth sense as to what the offense is going to do (e.g., Troy Polamalu), he could be very special.
My only concern is him staying healthy.
He hits violently.
If he can keep his body from breaking down, I believe the NFL world will be talking about him on a weekly basis.