1st Round #5 Pick CB Illinois, Devon Witherspoon

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Seahawks were 8th in sacks last year. We must've played a bunch of Russell Wilsons that held on to the ball. And the pass rush should improve this year.

Pretty crazy how they could be 8th in sacks and still be so bad. Classic example of when stats dont tell the story.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Pretty crazy how they could be 8th in sacks and still be so bad. Classic example of when stats dont tell the story.
Seemed like Nwosu must've had all 44 sacks, I think that was the team number. Dude was freakin' amazing! But everyone else sucked a lot, maybe 10 sacks were Nwosu and the other 34 were other dudes getting cleanup sacks created by Nwosu?

olyfan63

Reaction score

That is freakin' amazing, KJ nailing it again, Seahawks picking Weatherspoon at $5!! I was skeptical when he called for Geno to be the starter prior to the 2022 season, just being loyal to a bud I assumed, but I was WRONG! Now always love KJ's analysis, he is as smart as a game and player analyst as he was on the field, KJ is now my personal "EF Hutton" of football analysis, if anyone remembers those commercials.

"My football analyst is KJ Wright, and KJ Wright says..."

Last edited:

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
After watching the OP's video, I am a little worried.

I saw some excellent tackling, but I also saw a lot of things that would be penalized in today's NFL -- especially against the Hawks. I'm really hoping I'm wrong.

These are some of the things that I could see the refs throwing a flag for:
-Very first clip is a defenseless player penalty
-:56 Taunting
-1:08 Pass Interference
-1:26 ticky-tack Pass Interference
-2:40 ticky-tack Pass Interference
-2:56 ticky-tack Unnecessary Roughness

Maybe I've just become too jaded by bullshit penalties by the refs these past few years, but I'm really hoping I'm just being paranoid and someone talks me off the ledge. I don't hate the pick, and this is not me complaining; I'm just a little worried.

BlueTalon

Reaction score

I saw some excellent tackling, but I also saw a lot of things that would be penalized in today's NFL -- especially against the Hawks. I'm really hoping I'm wrong.

Maybe I've just become too jaded by bullshit penalties by the refs these past few years, but I'm really hoping I'm just being paranoid and someone talks me off the ledge. I don't hate the pick, and this is not me complaining; I'm just a little worried.
I saw much of the same stuff. I'm confident most of that can be coached out.

Nv_Hawks

Reaction score
Love for the game, hitting and style of play? Sure.

But Witherspoon is 15 lbs lighter, and that's a LOT for a defensive back/safety.

I love this pick the more I see tape, but my only reservation is like Adams, secondary players who hit and play as violent as Witherspoon have a short shelf life.

Look no further than our own LOB and Adams. Earl, Kam, Adams and Sherm all broke down before their time due to the violence in which they played.
I was just thinking the same. He can bring the juice and play violent, but he’s playing in the NFL now and not sure if it’s best to have that same style of play.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sherm and Kam will work with him I am sure, he will get hit with a few, but Sherm was able to learn to shield stuff from Officials, knew the angles and where they were, Kam got flagged many times wrongly just because it looked so violent. They will tell him how to celebrate without the obvious Taunt straight at a player, with team mates walking away.

Ruminator

Reaction score

Exactly. The thought that immediately came to my mind when I originally watched the vid was this: "Wow, they allow way more stuff in college -- makes the NFL look like an over-regulated pansy league."

Hopefully BlueTalon is right, that they'll be able to coach him to look a little less violent, somehow.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I'm happy with pick.
A fast CB who can cover really well,stop runs and busts up screens.
His hits are legit legal with the rules,I wouldn't change anything.
The bonus of this pick is that I don't have to worry about it being a
big bust if it was AR or Carter..They are others problem!