1st Round #5 Pick CB Illinois, Devon Witherspoon

bsuhawk

Reaction score
I agree, 180 lbs. is too light. I'm hoping he can add 15 to 20 lbs. without losing his athleticism.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Buddah Baker is like 5'10" 195 soaking wet. He's been blasting guys for years.
But you make a good point on the weight. Will be interesting to see if they have him bulk even a little bit.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
My god man, lighten up. Geezus man. Not EVERYTHING sucks.

Lol, come on Soul. I'm not capping on Witherspoon and I hope he's the monster everybody has been touting him as. I just thought that stat was pretty insane. Thats all, nothing more.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
This is kind of frightening.

Hugh Millen said on kjr of all 180lb corners taken in round one the last 25 years only one made all pro, Antoine Winfield and he was a late first round pick.

Man I hope Witherspoon doesnt end up being Jamal Adams 2.0.
What do they say about 160lb QBs who have never been taken in round 1?

Spoon was talking and said he knows he needs weight and he is trying but has
a high metabolism so it's not easy.
He hired someone to help him out with that.

themunn

Reaction score
I'll be interested to see if having 2 elite corners means that we will see both corners follow guys around or stick to LCB and RCB as historically - Woolen's speed and size make him a good match up for the big fast WRs while Witherspoon you would expect to see on the shifter route-running type (which we have definitely struggled more with)

bsuhawk

Reaction score
I'll be interested to see if having 2 elite corners means that we will see both corners follow guys around or stick to LCB and RCB as historically - Woolen's speed and size make him a good match up for the big fast WRs while Witherspoon you would expect to see on the shifter route-running type (which we have definitely struggled more with)
At a minimum, I would guess that we'll see Witherspoon moving inside to cover the Cooper Kupp and Randall Cobbs of the league.

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
After watching the OP's video, I am a little worried.

I saw some excellent tackling, but I also saw a lot of things that would be penalized in today's NFL -- especially against the Hawks. I'm really hoping I'm wrong.

These are some of the things that I could see the refs throwing a flag for:
-Very first clip is a defenseless player penalty
-:56 Taunting
-1:08 Pass Interference
-1:26 ticky-tack Pass Interference
-2:40 ticky-tack Pass Interference
-2:56 ticky-tack Unnecessary Roughness

Maybe I've just become too jaded by bullshit penalties by the refs these past few years, but I'm really hoping I'm just being paranoid and someone talks me off the ledge. I don't hate the pick, and this is not me complaining; I'm just a little worried.
Yeah - if he flexes like that on NFL guys he will get crack-backed at some point, I love the confidence and his passion and talent are evident - but just walk away after you drop the hammer and celebrate with your team. Not standing over the guy on the ground. I'm sure the vets will square that away in camp.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
What do they say about 160lb QBs who have never been taken in round 1?

Spoon was talking and said he knows he needs weight and he is trying but has
a high metabolism so it's not easy.
He hired someone to help him out with that.
Spoon could go on an old school bodybuilder diet of ribeyes and eggs he could easily gain at least 5 lbs of muscle a year

pmedic920

Reaction score
Yeah - if he flexes like that on NFL guys he will get crack-backed at some point, I love the confidence and his passion and talent are evident - but just walk away after you drop the hammer and celebrate with your team. Not standing over the guy on the ground. I'm sure the vets will square that away in camp.
Rumor has it that’s he’s pretty salty even in practice, I think I heard his coach mention it in an interview.

I could easily see a scuffle or two in camp while the pecking order gets sorted out.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Rumor has it that’s he’s pretty salty even in practice, I think I heard his coach mention it in an interview.

I could easily see a scuffle or two in camp while the pecking order gets sorted out.
I hope DK body slams him just to send a welcome message

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I hope DK body slams him just to send a welcome message
I'm not sure that would end well..That could take our 5th pick out with an injury
of some kind.
We don't need that kind of thing happening.

sc85sis

Reaction score
His mom called him “Snoopy.” Would love to know the story behind that nickname.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Don't give a damn about penalties.

Don't give a damn about weight.

Don't give a damn about height.

This team needed the energy he brings. It has for years. If it doesn't work out, that's a shame. It was the right move anyway.

The penalties don't matter if the alternative is getting your salad tossed by a more physical and aggressive team.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Don't give a damn about penalties.

Don't give a damn about weight.

Don't give a damn about height.

This team needed the energy he brings. It has for years. If it doesn't work out, that's a shame. It was the right move anyway.

The penalties don't matter if the alternative is getting your salad tossed by a more physical and aggressive team.
I don't mind occasional penalties. Hopefully he'll learn to play with the violence, but without the penalties.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
This is kind of frightening.

Hugh Millen said on kjr of all 180lb corners taken in round one the last 25 years only one made all pro, Antoine Winfield and he was a late first round pick.

Man I hope Witherspoon doesnt end up being Jamal Adams 2.0.
That stat is useless, as is Hugh Millen.

Latest posts