“We Still Mad”. Bobby Wagner

chris98251

Reaction score
Pete was notorious for his bad in game management, illogical challenges, burning time outs needlessly. Game planning and adjustments was not his strength. He over thought many things to think he was doing things they would never expect way too many times that blew up. Most gregarious decisions seem to happen at the most critical moments as well. The locker room issues came from the LOB and some players holding others accountable, Harvin, Wilson, being two that got the most attention. Pete also being hypocritical about always compete and holding each other accountable, Wilson was given a pedestal, wrongly so, that was the beginning of the end, he was never one of the guys. Harvin was just a head case the other players called out and he didn't handle it well.

When you're at the top of the game you don't accept simply showing up for a paycheck, these guys wanted a legacy, the conflict was we had a Quarterback that wanted one for himself first and the team second, he had a coach that coddled him, he is thin skinned and has issues accepting his faults. LOB called him on them, and it was conflicting with Petes style.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Pete was notorious for his bad in game management, illogical challenges, burning time outs needlessly. Game planning and adjustments was not his strength. He over thought many things to think he was doing things they would never expect way too many times that blew up. Most gregarious decisions seem to happen at the most critical moments as well. The locker room issues came from the LOB and some players holding others accountable, Harvin, Wilson, being two that got the most attention. Pete also being hypocritical about always compete and holding each other accountable, Wilson was given a pedestal, wrongly so, that was the beginning of the end, he was never one of the guys. Harvin was just a head case the other players called out and he didn't handle it well.

When you're at the top of the game you don't accept simply showing up for a paycheck, these guys wanted a legacy, the conflict was we had a Quarterback that wanted one for himself first and the team second, he had a coach that coddled him, he is thin skinned and has issues accepting his faults. LOB called him on them, and it was conflicting with Petes style.

Good lord. So Wilson was the problem for all of it. Lol. This place never ceases to amaze.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Honestly, the way some players talk about the play drives me insane. There's no guarantee running the ball wins the game, and it's even more absurd to assume they could have won three Super Bowls. Listening to multiple former players talk about it, one thing becomes clear: Parts of the locker room were so selfish, egotistical, and insubordinate that they let one play destroy the team. So, failing to succeed long-term speaks more to their maturity than the play call or whatever went into making it. It's a convenient way for them to excuse their failures after that season.

That's the sad reality of the LOB. They weren't a dynasty because their best players were too volatile to handle setbacks and maintain a winning culture.

I think it’s more that they lost confidence in a head coach that got away with murder because they pulled his butt out of the fryer so many times.

Uk HD Seahawk

Reaction score
Missed Ticket thread
Just wondered if Single Match Tickets are available and are they as expensive as listed on websites
Seem very expensive compared to even thr big football (soccer) clubs in the UK

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Um, what he said is actually factual and reiterated by multiple players during that time.

Wilson wasn't the beginning of the end. The beginning of the end was a millisecond after the worst play call in the history of the Super Bowl when nobody was held accountable. Also, Wilson got some special treatment, but he was never more important than the team. It just got to a point where he was the only hope after awhile. The members of the LOB weren't so pissed off at Wilson as they were with Pete and what was asked of them. That last, boneheaded play call was the last straw.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Wilson wasn't the beginning of the end. The beginning of the end was a millisecond after the worst play call in the history of the Super Bowl when nobody was held accountable. Also, Wilson got some special treatment, but he was never more important than the team. It just got to a point where he was the only hope after awhile. The members of the LOB weren't so pissed off at Wilson as they were with Pete and what was asked of them.
I think you ate a Dangerwitch too many.
Watch all day with KJ with Pete and other players, they will tell
you themselves all about it.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Honestly, the way some players talk about the play drives me insane. There's no guarantee running the ball wins the game, and it's even more absurd to assume they could have won three Super Bowls. Listening to multiple former players talk about it, one thing becomes clear: Parts of the locker room were so selfish, egotistical, and insubordinate that they let one play destroy the team. So, failing to succeed long-term speaks more to their maturity than the play call or whatever went into making it. It's a convenient way for them to excuse their failures after that season.

That's the sad reality of the LOB. They weren't a dynasty because their best players were too volatile to handle setbacks and maintain a winning culture.

WORD.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
There's no guarantee running the ball wins the game, and it's even more absurd to assume they could have won three Super Bowls.

I completely agree, I have no idea why so many fans convinced themselves that if Seattle won SB49, it was practically guaranteed that they would have won 3 in a row. It's not that simple. That loss was bad enough to handle, I wouldn't want to make it more difficult by pretending they got robbed of a third Lombardi.

NoGain

Reaction score
Winning back-to-back Super Bowls would have been a feat unto itself. Only eight teams have done it, the Packers, the Dolphins, the Steelers twice, the 49ers, the Cowboys, the Broncos, the Patriots, and the Chiefs. The Hawks would have joined a pretty elite group of teams there. As for winning a third SB...they certainly would have had a better chance at winning another one the following two seasons had they won that second one than they did after losing that second one the way they did. I think that's fair to say. Doubtful, but not out of the question.

irfuben32

Reaction score
YES! Lets beat this dead horse some more.

The box was stacked and time was running out so it's fine if you want to call a pass play. For the love of all that is holy, you have to use play action in that situation. Boot action with a TE heading to corner of the endzone. If the TE is covered, Russ can probably walk in for the TD. If it's not there you can throw it away.

As far as the D giving up a ten point lead

The D was banged up and facing what many consider to be the greatest QB of all time. Therold Simon was inexperienced and a big body CB, not built to cover a guy like Edelman. Marcus Burley was stupidly left inactive. I guess they were worried because Sherman was injured and Simon was more of his backup. Who on the outside were we worried about with NE though? The guys to be scared of are Gronk and Edelmen, neither of which Sherman was covering.

After the game

Even if it wasn't there fault, someones head needed to roll. It was the only possible chance of healing the wound. Sticking up for Bevel and defending the playcall just made things worse. that was what Carroll didn't understand. They were a band of brothers, warriors willing to sacrifice and bleed for each other. They were on the precipice of becoming the next great dynasty by knocking off the existing kings of the NFL. They didn't just lose one Superbowl, they lost the bond that held them together and collectively raised them to greater heights

olyfan63

Reaction score
I still believe it was a play called out of desperation and panic because Belichick didn't call the timeout and Carroll was clueless as to what to do. He got cute instead of doing the sane thing in hopes of outsmarting BB and it failed miserably. That's my feelings anyway.

Honestly it was Carroll trying to be the smartest guy in the room when he never was.
I have always thought it was Carroll who called for a PASS play, and it was BEVELL who called that specific (brain dead) play; that's what OC's do, and I understood that's how it went.

AM I WRONG? Was it CARROLL who called the specific play?

Also, the playcall, IMO, should have been something that took advantage of one of Russell's QB SuperPowers. Read-Option, or rolling Russell out with a run/pass option. A total shocker would have been a QB sneak by Russell, since he rarely did those. Even if stuffed, it would still be a yard to go and 3rd down.

I've pretty much made peace with the play, because that was Russell showing us who he was, his limitations, i.e., couldn't read defenses, too short to see Butler lurking.

Last edited:

Ozzy

Reaction score
Why they ran that play on second down with a timeout to burn and Lynch ready to punch it in was to my mind the most galactically stupid decision made by a coaching staff I’ve seen in Super Bowl history.

Bevell’s postgame rationalization and blaming the WR for not going hard enough to the ball should have cost him his job but Pete kept him around with a team that was angry and wanted some blood if only to make the terrible sting of that loss more bearable. I’ve never heard Bevell accept any responsibility for the play call

The Legion of Boom ended with that call. It took their strut and swagger and things slipped away to mediocrity. Lots of blame to go around no doubt but it was the lowest of low points for my team. It’s still to me the most stupid play call of all time. I’m of course biased and still po’d about it.
Good point on Bevell. Blaming the special teams gunner for a poor route when he didn’t see much action all year was absolutely insane.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Even if it wasn't there fault, someones head needed to roll. It was the only possible chance of healing the wound. Sticking up for Bevel and defending the playcall just made things worse. that was what Carroll didn't understand. They were a band of brothers, warriors willing to sacrifice and bleed for each other. They were on the precipice of becoming the next great dynasty by knocking off the existing kings of the NFL. They didn't just lose one Superbowl, they lost the bond that held them together and collectively raised them to greater heights

Yes. 100000%

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I have always thought it was Carroll who called for a PASS play, and it was BEVELL who called that specific (brain dead) play; that's what OC's do, and I understood that's how it went.

AM I WRONG? Was it CARROLL who called the specific play?

Also, the playcall, IMO, should have been something that took advantage of one of Russell's QB SuperPowers. Read-Option, or rolling Russell out with a run/pass option. A total shocker would have been a QB sneak by Russell, since he rarely did those. Even if stuffed, it would still be a yard to go and 3rd down.

I've pretty much made peace with the play, because that was Russell showing us who he was, his limitations, i.e., couldn't read defenses, too short to see Butler lurking.

I believe Bevell called the actual play after Pete told him to dial up a pass play. Being the head coach though, once I saw what play it was, I would have put a stop to it.

As for Wilson, with all his so called limitations, inabilities to read defenses, and his height problem, he's still the best QB the franchise ever had. How is that when he had so many issues?

jeremiah

Reaction score

One word says it, Arrogance.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I believe Bevell called the actual play after Pete told him to dial up a pass play. Being the head coach though, once I saw what play it was, I would have put a stop to it.

As for Wilson, with all his so called limitations, inabilities to read defenses, and his height problem, he's still the best QB the franchise ever had. How is that when he had so many issues?
Thank you for the vote for "Bevell called the play", so at least two of us believe that to be the correct reading.

Agreed, Wilson was the most *successful* QB the team ever had. Short answer: Peak LOB, Peak Beastmode, Peak Dan Quinn, Peak Russell 2012-2015ish, Read-Option. "Best" QB in franchise history? I'd call it a 3-way conversation between Russell, Matt Hasselbeck, and even Warren Moon. But really, I'm not interested in that pointless debate.

Russell had both QB SuperPowers and issues/limitations. Bevell dialed up a play that was Russell's Kryptonite, for assorted reasons. Did you seem him run the same play with the Broncos and lose the game by ignoring a wide-open KJ Hamler for a walk-in TD and the win? The "helmet throw" play. In SB49, Why didn't Bev call a play that used Russell's QB SuperPowers, and didn't rely on a 6th-string WR?

Even without Russell's limitations, the play was high-risk anyway because passes into a crowded middle-of-the field are at higher risk of being tipped and picked off. Also it relied on overmatched Kearse pushing Beast Browner off the line--just brain-dead. On top of that, Browner knew the play from his time with the Seahawks, and put Butler into the right position.

Between Russell's limitations, and the sheer stupidity of the play-call, given the matchups, nothing good was ever going to come of it. Unfortunately, the worst happened. If Butler doesn't catch the ball--not an easy catch, the Hawks score on 3rd down and we're instead now reminiscing about the Seahawks SB48-49 dynasty. As a friend used to say, "f***ed by the fickle finger of fate".

chris98251

Reaction score
Wilson wasn't the beginning of the end. The beginning of the end was a millisecond after the worst play call in the history of the Super Bowl when nobody was held accountable. Also, Wilson got some special treatment, but he was never more important than the team. It just got to a point where he was the only hope after awhile. The members of the LOB weren't so pissed off at Wilson as they were with Pete and what was asked of them. That last, boneheaded play call was the last straw.
Actual preferential treatment and the waves of resentment started will before that with Wilson, he could not take trash talk, being mean to him when they intercepted a pass was how he took it, saying you suck hurt his feelings and it goes on. it was tolerated by the defense because they made up for Wilsons limitations. well in that Super Bowl the LOB and many others were playing injured, having two players knocked out hurt the defense even more. The whole offense practically shit themselves on the field when the play call came in, the sidelines when they lined up was going what the **** and then you see the reaction to the play when it was run.

Wilson was never a team leader during that era, he was a team yes man for Pete, went full Corporate Russell after Sherman and Lynch left. Lynch, Kam, Bobby, Baldwin, Bennett and Averil were the leaders.

That irked Wilson also, he could never fit in as one of the guys.