“We Still Mad”. Bobby Wagner

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
A big part of life is just accepting that sometimes... things just don't work out.

We can hindsight it to death, but sometimes everything goes wrong at a single moment in time and you've just got to accept it at some point.

I sure wish it didn't happen, but I'm not angry about it anymore.

NoGain

Reaction score
I've watched and been a fan of sports most of my life. I have never seen a more gut wrenching play in the biggest possible game and moment that literally wrested defeat from the jaws of victory like that. I'll never forget what I felt at that moment.

When I really think about it, what was the more defining and memorable moment, the Hawks winning their first SB, or gaffing their chance at winning back to back SB's in the way they did? It's really close to me. I still go back and forth.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
The most painful sport event stuck in my brain.

Emotional Me: Give it to Lynch...Money$$$$!!!
Logical Me: Stacked box looking for Lynch, corner playing off my slot #3/4 reciever.

Left Brain/Right Brain battle until I'm 6' under.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
It sucked. But as bad as it sucked, we lost that game fair and square. The Patriots did what they had to do to win the game, and we didn't.

Contrast that with SBXL*, where it was literally stolen from us, and it's not even close for me which was the worse debacle. (I know this thread isn't about which SB loss was worse, and I'm not trying to make it about that. But speaking for only myself, I can't disassociate them.)

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
So Pete's reasoning was that the play worked once against the Cardinals? I would have been one of those players that walked out too. Nobody was buying that nonsense.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
The S is mad, which i am also about that play. But what about not covering Edelman or stopping Brady?

Yeah this is something I never understood. Defense did not play any better than the offense that day. If they had held the Patriots to a field goal on any of their TD drives, then we don't even need a TD at the end.

Ozzy

Reaction score
That play haunts me. I've always thought the best play was a zone read with Wilson walking in on the left side. Their outside linebacker was as slow as anyone in the league and they overcommitted to stopping Lynch up the middle and he wasn't as successful as we think he was in that regard. For me I'm still pissed at the play call with your special teams gunner being required to run a perfect route and thinking Kearse was going to win a one on one with Browner who was the best in the league in that regard. For me, that's what caused the pick and the fact that NE practiced for that specific play multiple times before the game. That's on the staff, not Russ, Not Lockette and even not Kearse.

We truly lost because everyone on the defense got hurt and they picked us a part. We also dropped a crucial third down that seals the game that Wilson dropped right in the bucket.

Such a strange game.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Why they ran that play on second down with a timeout to burn and Lynch ready to punch it in was to my mind the most galactically stupid decision made by a coaching staff I’ve seen in Super Bowl history.

Bevell’s postgame rationalization and blaming the WR for not going hard enough to the ball should have cost him his job but Pete kept him around with a team that was angry and wanted some blood if only to make the terrible sting of that loss more bearable. I’ve never heard Bevell accept any responsibility for the play call

The Legion of Boom ended with that call. It took their strut and swagger and things slipped away to mediocrity. Lots of blame to go around no doubt but it was the lowest of low points for my team. It’s still to me the most stupid play call of all time. I’m of course biased and still po’d about it.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Yeah this is something I never understood. Defense did not play any better than the offense that day. If they had held the Patriots to a field goal on any of their TD drives, then we don't even need a TD at the end.

The secondary was destroyed with injuries that game. I mean, so injured that Sherm, Kam, and Earl shouldn't have even have played. But they did did and the team was still in a position to win, and to waste that opportunity on the worst call ever,,,,,. Yeah, they had every reason to be pissed.

I'm not sure how people want to blame the defense when such a valiant effort was given. Seattle had no right to even be in that game at the end.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm not sure how you can ignore the FACT that the defense gave up a 10-point lead. Injuries or not, IT HAPPENED. Several things factored into losing that game. Lane getting knocked out too. Avril going out with a concussion, they could just double Bennett the rest of the game. SEVERAL reasons they lost.
And yes, it was stupid call. Had they ran it and got stopped.......THEN threw the pick on 3rd, it would be a completely different outlook.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
A big part of life is just accepting that sometimes... things just don't work out.

We can hindsight it to death, but sometimes everything goes wrong at a single moment in time and you've just got to accept it at some point.

I sure wish it didn't happen, but I'm not angry about it anymore.
Sometimes things just go wrong. Other times you bring wrong things on yourself. What happened is the second of those two things.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Meh, that was almost a lifetime ago for me. I'm not trying to fill my headspace with the outcome of one sporting event.