“We Still Mad”. Bobby Wagner

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I didn't really care for the play call as I would have liked a Read Option type of call. However, it was not horrible. The execution from Russ to Kearse to Ricardo was the issue. If the throw is lower? Probably at worst is a incompletion and same if Ricardo attacks the ball.

Now after the fact and a decade plus later. The defense comes across bitter, thin skinned themselves. Yes, they were historic. However, you lose as a team and win as a team. Russ was not perfect and has a ego but what qb or player doesnt? Imagine if in every interview a offensive player said "our defense blew a 10 point lead and ruined the team".

I would say the same thing. Be better. Both sides lost. What made the defense great also killed them. I will always remember the Atlanta Playoffs (blow out one) on Mic'd up where Kam said "We always lose when we start fighting each other".

That was to the defense.

In the end, i had the best time watching a SB win and a fantastic run. I got to see a historic defense, a great qb and rb. A awesome coach. What a time it was. It sucks the loss to the Pats overshadows the win vs the Broncos.

BASF

Reaction score
So weird this keeps coming up. Lockette was open when Lockette was supposed to be. The ball could not be thrown because Sweezey and Unger got blown back into the passing lane they were supposed to open. Russ double clutched and threw the ball late. How is this so hard to grasp?

evergreen

Reaction score
People forget Bennet going offsides after that and letting Brady get out iv the endzone to kneel down. The D had a chance for a miracle. They do happen. See NFCCG for evidence. Get the safety and big play for a field goal attempt. That’s how it was supposed to end.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
Jesus...it's pathetic people are still beating this dead horse.
Not so fast.

Being a sports fan (short for fanatic) means different things to different people.
It’s impossible to label any amount of emotional investment right or wrong if we want to be completely honest.

For those still feeling unfulfilled over #49, hearing a player talk about feelings that match their own kinda validates what they have going on.

Time does heal all wounds, some just take more time than others.

We all fan the way we fan, nobody is right nobody is wrong for how they fan even if you disagree with them.

Last edited:

olyfan63

Reaction score
So weird this keeps coming up. Lockette was open when Lockette was supposed to be. The ball could not be thrown because Sweezey and Unger got blown back into the passing lane they were supposed to open. Russ double clutched and threw the ball late. How is this so hard to grasp?
Have not heard this take before. I'll look for that next time I watch the play. So many pieces involved.

I've always held Bevell responsible. Pete took the arrows for him. Pete called for a pass, Bevell called for THAT play.

BASF

Reaction score
Have not heard this take before. I'll look for that next time I watch the play. So many pieces involved.

I've always held Bevell responsible. Pete took the arrows for him. Pete called for a pass, Bevell called for THAT play.
I have put it forth many many times before here. The screencap Maelstrom posted before:

LocketteOpenButINT
which I believe was first posted by Keasley is when the ball is supposed to be thrown. Lockette may have still been stopped by Butler at the goal line, but as you can see Unger and Sweezy have been pushed back into the passing lane that should have been there. With no passing lane Wilson could not throw it on time due to his height. The rest is history.

I agree with you that the play should not have been called. I have always put forth that running this formation with any variation with Lockette running to the outside results in a walk in touchdown as Browner knew we ran only one route out of this formation. With a simple wrinkle there, we are two time world champs. The post season and especially the super bowl is the best time for doing different things, but Bevell made a stupid decision and stuck to something we practiced dozens of times against the DB that was then opposing us.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I have put it forth many many times before here. The screencap Maelstrom posted before:

View attachment 66571
which I believe was first posted by Keasley is when the ball is supposed to be thrown. Lockette may have still been stopped by Butler at the goal line, but as you can see Unger and Sweezy have been pushed back into the passing lane that should have been there. With no passing lane Wilson could not throw it on time due to his height. The rest is history.

I agree with you that the play should not have been called. I have always put forth that running this formation with any variation with Lockette running to the outside results in a walk in touchdown as Browner knew we ran only one route out of this formation. With a simple wrinkle there, we are two time world champs. The post season and especially the super bowl is the best time for doing different things, but Bevell made a stupid decision and stuck to something we practiced dozens of times against the DB that was then opposing us.
Wow! I somehow never saw this angle or take before. Yes, the timing of throwing a split-second late would definitely be a factor here. Sweezy and Unger getting pushed back into the passing lane... what I see is that Russell is not under immediate pressure and the protection seems reasonable. It does look like Russell may be "too short" to see Butler lurking, just another indictment of Bevell's play-call.

I recall Russell running this play with Denver and, in a moment of PTSD, not even looking at KJ Hamler as the primary option, who was wide open for a walk-in game-winning TD if Russell threw it on time. (The helmet-throw play) I haven't looked at that film recently, but it makes me wonder if that play causes a height-related visibility problem for Russell. Which goes back to Bevell, why not live or die with your QB's strengths, like a read-option play where Russell makes the decision, and an O-Line built to move people in the running game? Bevell: "Oh, they'll never see this cutesy play coming!"

Thank you for posting this!

Crizilla

Reaction score
Seahawks got revenge on them 2 years later. They beat the Pats 2 out of 3 times in a 4 year span. 1 yard away from sweeping them. SB49 loss hurts because theres no trophy but Seahawks were still the better team in that era. I think Brady is the GOAT QB but those Pats teams were slightly overrated because they played in the worst divsion for years. It was so easy for the Pats to get a first round playoff bye all those years.

keasley45

Reaction score

View attachment 66571

Thats not the correct snap.

Screenshot 20230626 182451 YouTubeScreenshot 20230626 183151 YouTubeScreenshot 20230626 182544 YouTube

If theres an aspect of the game Russ has proven he struggles with most, its reading coverage and making the snap decision to let fly. He holds the ball if his read isnt blatantly obvious. Russ should have thrown the ball in window one in the first shot. Lock is basically jogging behind the pick in anticipation of getting the ball while hes before he comes across, not after he crosses itand is charging toward a safety, ILB, or DB coming around the pick. If you watch the play in slow motion, yiu can see Lock going from a jog to a sprint when he sees Russ is actually going to throw it inside. He threw late and high. If you look at the 2nd image, it looks like Butler is who he's throwing to. Lock is just trying to get to the ball. He should have thrown early and low on the body. Even as late as it was, had he hit Lock on the numbers or below, the DB would have had to run through Lock to make a play. At worst, its a tackle at the one or a ball batted away if Butler can get a hand inside.

As to the play itself, it was so effective across the league that the rules committee banned it. So it doesnt line up that a play that is so unstoppable across the league that its banned, is a bad call in a situation like this. Especially when you aee that if the ball was thrown when and where it should have been, we walk off the field, champions.

Russ threw the ball high and inside. Literally to the only place a defender could make a play on it.

You know who made a living running this play? Brady and the Pats. It was a gimme - again, why it was banned.

Russ could have pulled the ball down and bailed.. try to make something up, or thrown it away. Would have been better than tossing a jump ball inside.

Could we have given the ball to Lynch? Sure. Did it make sense to throw the ball on the down we did? Yup. Running the ball would have been an attitude call... imposing our will on them. But running then wasnt a gimme. Although i wish we had.

Could we have thrown a fade or anything else? Yup.

But the playcall wasnt so blatantly horrible, at least not on its own merit.

You can certainly criticiamze the wisdom of letting a QB who was known to not do well exploiting the short field because of his height throw that pattern.

You can argue the wisdom or letting your QB and O run a play they hadnt run often, if ever.

But its hard to blame Lock because he ran as it as he should have.

And its hard to blame a play that was basically deemed cheating because it was so effective when run by everyone but us.

keasley45

Reaction score

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Has Russ ever taken any responsibility for the poor pass? I don't recall hearing if he did. Not that it matters really, just curious.

To this day I'm still not quite sure who or what I am most mad at on that final play. Like listed above, there are so many to blame, so many variables, but what always sticks out to me is Lockette's piss-poor attempt to go after the ball. He got blown up like a bitch by this shrimpie rook. Ugh.

Rat

Reaction score
Has Russ ever taken any responsibility for the poor pass? I don't recall hearing if he did. Not that it matters really, just curious.
Russ doesn't comment on anything that doesn't help his manufactured image. Russ also let Golden Tate sit there and take gratuitous shots from hoards of self-righteous idiots because he didn't have the integrity to squash the rumors that Tate broke up his marriage.

Last edited:

Rat

Reaction score
Wagner should be upset. He's a first-ballot HOFer regardless, but what would his standing be among the all-time greats with that second championship? Hell, it might have even become more than two. That play irreparably ripped the fabric of the team apart (to shreds you say?). I hear him compared more to Luke Keuchly than guys like Ray Lewis and Mike Singletary.

keasley45

Reaction score

To this day I'm still not quite sure who or what I am most mad at on that final play. Like listed above, there are so many to blame, so many variables, but what always sticks out to me is Lockette's piss-poor attempt to go after the ball. He got blown up like a bitch by this shrimpie rook. Ugh.
I think Lockette ran it at the pace it was supposed to be run. It only looks soft on his part because he was put in a position ehere he had to sprint to try to catch a ball that was better positioned for Butler than it was for him. Like Lock says in that article. Theyve practiced that play to him a thousand times. I think he ran exactly the way he was supposed to. The QB put the ball in the one place he shouldnt have.

As to Russ... he never acknowledged it. I dont think he ever will.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Russ doesn't comment on anything that doesn't help his manufactured image. He also let Golden Tate sit there are take gratuitous shot from hoards of self-righteous people because Russ didn't have the integrity to squash the rumors that Tate broke up his marriage.
100% this and watch Golden Tate on "All day" talk about this, he's still
hurt over it.
As for Keasley's post I totally agree "The pass was late" In RZ you have to fire it.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
When the circus catch happened, I would have bet my life we were going to win.

And if your Aunt had balls she'd be your Uncle. È quello che è.

BASF

Reaction score
He literally says I blame myself. I threw the pass. This was nine years ago, maybe some of you have forgotten.