Can Moreno hurt Seattle's Run D?

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I say no.

I was curious about how he'd fared against teams this year, and I'm doubtful that he's going to be much a threat. To elaborate.

Had 1038 yards rushing, but over 1/5th of that total came against New England (224 yards.) He only went over the century mark in that one game, and only came close (93 yards) in 2 others. NE was 21 against the run by DVOA, Jacksonville was 24th, and Dallas was 28th. KC, who was 15th, held him in check. Houston, who was 11th, did the same (76 yards). The Ravens were 10th, and he gained a whopping 28 yards.

He also had 548 receiving yards, but over half that total (280) came in 4 games against JAX, Dal, WA, and KC. (21, 32, 17, 14).

He also had 13 TDs, but of his 10 rushing TDs, 6 of those came in 2 games (against NYG and JAX). The NYG were bumped up their run defense by the end of the year, so this could be an outlier, but he may also be good to go inside the 5.

It looks to me like Seattle should have a good game running, which should in turn entice Manning to give up on the run. Seattle's defense has to be licking their chops.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Absolutely.

Seattle is going to play a huge part of this game with pass rush personnel on the field. Manning audibles to the run when both formation and personnel favor the run. He will catch us a few times.

I think the more important question is can the Broncos run effectively in short yardage when Seattle goes jumbo or big nickel, or if the weather is just awful can they run because no one can pass? I would think not.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Moreno is a good back, but not good enough or should I say tough enough to carry an entire offense.

I would like to see his first half to second half splits in games Denver blew out opponents.

To me he's like a poorman's Steven Jackson...

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Moreno has had good performance this year, but let's be realistic, here; the threat of Peyton's passing is responsible for a lot of that. I'm really not worried about Moreno running all over us.

You can pass to setup the run similarly to how you can run to setup the pass, if one of those two is elite, it helps the other by a noticeable and considerable margin.

chris98251

Reaction score
Moreno is coming off a rib injury, he and Ball are also big backs not shifty ones, we handle big well and have got much better at shifty ones by staying in our lanes.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
He certainly can if our D-Line and LB's regress into what they did back in the middle of the season............get out their gaps and play undisciplined, which resulted in some very mediocre RB's having big games against us...............that's right, I said "mediocre."

Hawks46

Reaction score
Scotte hit it on the head.

He's going to catch us once or twice, but probably not for huge gains but they'll keep drives alive. Manning is good at hitting defenses with what they're not ready for. If they go no huddle, we'll have to have our pass rush guys on the field and probably run the big nickle, so he'll try to run on that for sure.

We counter with fast LBers, Chancellor and Thomas, and our DBs. They are all physical and can tackle, although if Sherman is matched up on D. Thomas, Thomas will block him successfully. If there's a hole in Sherm's game, it's not getting off of blocks by WRs.

If they try and run on our run D ? Nah. We're in a groove there for sure. Gore is 10 times the back Moreno is, and he didn't do squat against us.

I'm more worried about Moreno catching balls out of the backfield. If we can limit his YAC there, we'll be good.

mikeak

Reaction score
Remember his stats may be helped by Peyton but also hurt by Peyton. They don't run as much because of Peyton so fewer opportunities

Also situations where others run are frequently short passes by Peyton. So if we sell out to stop the run they will pass it......

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Completely agree we'll get caught a few times through Manning's sheer brilliance to audible and make the right check. That's unavoidable.

But if they try and establish the run early it'll be a waste of time. They'll need to pass to open up the run. I think that's pretty obvious really.

Essentially if we can throw Manning's rhythm out and limit the damage with the pass, we'll probably shut down the run as a consequence.

hawk45

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3kl01fk0 said:
He certainly can if our D-Line and LB's regress into what they did back in the middle of the season............get out their gaps and play undisciplined, which resulted in some very mediocre RB's having big games against us...............that's right, I said "mediocre."

^ This right here.

I think Manning can engineer some success with runs, but Moreno actually hurting us significantly to me is mainly possible if the discipline breaks down. They're going to catch us for a chunk here and there when we're expecting pass, but I don't expect game-changing action unless we derp it.

rightbench

Reaction score
He just needs a hug or 2 from Red, Mebane and McDaniel. Then he'll lay down for his nap for the rest of the game.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2plfkvl9 said:
Moreno has had good performance this year, but let's be realistic, here; the threat of Peyton's passing is responsible for a lot of that. I'm really not worried about Moreno running all over us.

You can pass to setup the run similarly to how you can run to setup the pass, if one of those two is elite, it helps the other by a noticeable and considerable margin.

Exactly. I will note that he's a lot more effective than Ball, though, so the threat alone is not enough.

mackfan38

Reaction score
Nope he cant hurt us! And I got 12-1 odds prop bet if he loses a fumble!

BroncoFanForLife

Reaction score
I promise you: Ball is far more fumble-prone than Moreno.

We'll probably run it up the middle on 1st & 2nd downs just to keep Chancellor in the box. In 3rd & short type situations, I think we'll try to outflank you from our trips formations.......if we go for that whole running thing on 3rd down :)

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
BroncoFanForLife":37iwinmf said:
I promise you: Ball is far more fumble-prone than Moreno.

We'll probably run it up the middle on 1st & 2nd downs just to keep Chancellor in the box. In 3rd & short type situations, I think we'll try to outflank you from our trips formations.......if we go for that whole running thing on 3rd down :)

I hope you do run up the middle to try and keep Chancellor in the box on early downs.

One, it'll mean a lot of 3rd and long.

Two, unless you establish the run early -- you'll barely ever see Chancellor in the box. His main task in this game is going to be keeping the TE quiet.

Latest posts