Shockingly bad run D.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I have to say. I'm not an X and O's guy.

But I'm SHOCKED at how utterly, completely, wholistically, organically, ******* totally shitty our run D is.

I get it - the Cards, for some unexplained reason had the best rushing attack in the league or something - too lazy to look up the stats.

But that was just horrible. They bitch slapped us. And then they bitch slapped us again, and again, and agin. Just marched up the field at will, and we couldn't stop it, even when we knew it was coming.

That was just BAD. And not this game - several games.

WTH - it's the offseason now. But just sayin'. Hope we fix that shit for next year.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Small but I will point out, the bulk of cardinals “good/big runs” came when they literally held Brooks, or Bush (depending who was in).

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
This is a defensive line issue. In a 5 man front the run game is all about the nose tackle. In a 4 man front it’s the 3 technique.

The linebackers need to be uncovered to make tackles.

James in PA

Reaction score
The run D was the most glaring issue last offseason.

What did PCJS do about it? QB-selfie tour, only to not draft a QB. Real cute.

It's as if Josh Jacobs didn't teach them a lesson. And now Najee Harris, James Conner, etc.
Don't get me started on that QB selfie tour. I get so mad just thinking about that. Always clowning around at their pressers too. I'm tired of these two assholes acting like they're so much smarter than everybody else, then they put this GARBAGE defensive product out there.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Don't get me started on that QB selfie tour. I get so mad just thinking about that. Always clowning around at their pressers too. I'm tired of these two assholes acting like they're so much smarter than everybody else, then they put this GARBAGE defensive product out there.
Agreed. I got sick of their act with the Russell Wilson pick. Schneider kept acting like he was such a genius with that pick, like he could see what others couldn't.

Hey, JS, if you're so smart, why did you pass on him two times prior? Gtfoh with your condescending, fake macho man act. You're a below average GM at best.

If he could see what others couldn't with Allen and Mahomes, why are they on other clubs? Why not trade Wilson sooner? See, I can act like I have a crystal ball too Schneider, you punk

CouchLogic

Reaction score

But I'm SHOCKED at how utterly, completely, wholistically, organically, ******* totally shitty our run D is.

I get it - the Cards, for some unexplained reason had the best rushing attack in the league or something - too lazy to look up the stats.

But that was just horrible. They bitch slapped us. And then they bitch slapped us again, and again, and agin. Just marched up the field at will, and we couldn't stop it, even when we knew it was coming.

WTH - it's the offseason now. But just sayin'. Hope we fix that shit for next year.
No, no, no.... bad run D was LAST year. It was supposed to get fixed during the offseason.

Surely it didn't get worse this year....

J/k.....it'll be even worse next year at this rate, lol.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
You can say what you want about Ken Norton Jr's defense, it improved as the year went on.

This defense just got worse & worse as the year went on & this is after we got rid of everybody's whipping boy & perceived weakest link, Cody Barton, last offseason.

We need a real, established DC & if that means we retire PC to do it, then so be it.

I just can't watch this sh** for another year, I just can't.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
No, no, no.... bad run D was LAST year. It was supposed to get fixed during the offseason.

Surely it didn't get worse this year....

J/k.....it'll be even worse next year at this rate, lol.
right?! it was proclaimed 'fixed' earlier in the season!

i'd hate to see their definition of 'broken' - ;)

94Smith

Reaction score
They bitch slapped the 49ers run D as well, granted without Arik Armstead and Javon Hargrave. They are a good running team and Connor is a beast to bring down

hangumhi

Reaction score
This is a defensive line issue. In a 5 man front the run game is all about the nose tackle. In a 4 man front it’s the 3 technique.

The linebackers need to be uncovered to make tackles.
Good point. Too many second level blocks.

hangumhi

Reaction score
What I noticed throughout the season was very little gang tackling. A lot of guys seemed unwilling to get in on the tackle and wouldn't fly to the ball. Witherspoon and Bobby were about the only two I saw consistently flying to the ball.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
What I noticed throughout the season was very little gang tackling. A lot of guys seemed unwilling to get in on the tackle and wouldn't fly to the ball. Witherspoon and Bobby were about the only two I saw consistently flying to the ball.
right? I forget who I saw break through with the ball. I'm like - 8 missed tackles, coming up.

Then I saw 21 - I'm like you got this dude! And he did.

Literally almost the only person on the team wrapping it up.

Seahawker

Reaction score
I do not believe we missed 127 tackles this season, can't be accurate. That would be slightly more than seven a game and having watched every game it seems like it's been more than that. I mean if two lone plays yield 4 missed tackles in any given game, which that would mean only 3 more missed tackles to maintain that average. Not challenging the bean counters but our horrid run D seems like we missed more like 10 a game. After all, our TOP ratio is so lopsided and there are two halves to a game. 127 seems low. Maybe they don't count some broken tackles together with 'missed tackles'?
I'll end this only to say that Bobby is an elite football player and it's hard to watch him in the center of all of this with little surrounding help to stop the bleeding.
It's always been called tackle football.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I'll end this only to say that Bobby is an elite football player and it's hard to watch him in the center of all of this with little surrounding help to stop the bleeding.
I completely agree with this statement. It was tough to see that. I believe my wife's comment in the last couple of months has been: "Bobby can't do EVERYTHING!!!!".

morgulon1

Reaction score

Pete is going to "clean some things up and work on their fits".

Championship opportunity man !!

keasley45

Reaction score
The run D was the most glaring issue last offseason.

What did PCJS do about it? QB-selfie tour, only to not draft a QB. Real cute.

It's as if Josh Jacobs didn't teach them a lesson. And now Najee Harris, James Conner, etc.
I actually think that what they did generally worked where they concentrated their efforts in fortifying the interior 3 spots.

What failed was assuming Mafe could fill the run stop contain role. Trusting that Taylor's slump last year was a temporary thing, and hoping that Hall could translate his freakish NCAA talent to the pros.

That, and Nwosu went down.

And the F Clark (F* Clark!) experiment yielded nothing.

Of all the parts of the D, one would have thought that the group above could reasonably be relied upon. It failed, entirely. Mafe, Taylor, Hall, Clark... none of them worked. I dont know that many eould have predicted that collosal a failure.

And when everyone cheered Adams being sat down, that move was the nail in the coffin. From the outset, i think they viewed Adams as the backstop on the strongside in rush defense.

It all failed.

And what do you have besides those guys?

Bobby, who can still wreak havic between the tackles bit isnt wuick enough anymore to make hey beyond that.

And Brooks was dinged off and on throughout thr season.

Bush played like a reserve player.

This is why when the question comes up as to whether we should use a high pick on a qb, i personally dont see how you can prioritize that this year with basically Wags, Brooks and Nwosu as your only Lbers at all stout against the run. If one goes down and you dont have someone viable behind them, its the same deal again next year.