Russell Wilson: Second half of the season

tom sawyer

Reaction score
I think tomorrow we are going to see more of the Russell Wilson we saw last year, especially at the second half of the season.

Just like the team has been better in the second half of the game, I think a combination of last weeks struggles, the pressure of "trying to perform" will give way to him "playing in true form".

Russell gets smarter every game he plays, but last week was a major lesson. He learned a lot more. We reached a proverbial bottom offensively and in a complete contrast to how we managed to outscore our opponents 170-43 in our final 4 games last year. That was due in no small part to Russell Wilson!

Wilson was held to a very high standard entering this year, it's taken a while for him to settle down and realize he is not superman, but still damn good. Last week did a lot to lock him down.

I hope we don't underestimate the Bucs, but I expect a lot of points tomorrow. I expect Wilson to just do what he does best.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Great peptalk but what, specifically, do you expect to see happen tomorrow?

Exittium

Reaction score
hmm.. I'd agree typically but uuhh we still got a few guys M.I.A right now that was key to Wilson being able to break out like he did last year..

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Not with our O line.

I don't see how anything improves until we get Okung and Giacomini back.

They couldn't adjust last week when the Rams were killing us. What makes you think they can now?

I see another ugly struggle tomorrow. The book is out.

OP
OP
tom sawyer

tom sawyer

Reaction score
bestfightstory":1qkn4cs6 said:

I expect Russell to surprise the defense.

It's all about "catching them expecting something". When you baffle a defense you make them over-think and second guess, then you get that loosening, we don't have all the weapons we have had, this means you *invent new ways to use the weapons you have.

If MNF hadn't been so embarrassing, so exposing, things might be different. We were on the mat, we escaped by the skin of our teeth.

Call it hawk-tuition. Wilson will shine bright!!

getnasty

Reaction score
The key to our second half last year was Bevell to me. Seemed to me that he opened up the playbook and was way more creative and trusting of RW. Last year I think it took awhile for him to trust Russell but once he did it seems way different to me. This year his lack of trust might be in the OL and who could blame him.

AVL

Reaction score
RW is efficient and addicted to game winning drives. I don't see any miracles this week. but a solid home field performance for which no game winning drive is needed.

formido

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3hka1zgr said:
Not with our O line.

They couldn't adjust last week when the Rams were killing us. What makes you think they can now?

The book is out? If by book you mean "have St. Louis's defensive line" then yes, the book is out. Unless Tampa Bay has by chance traded for St. Louis's defense, who did almost the exact same thing to us last year, at home, when we were in the midst of a historic offensive run, I don't see them duplicating the Ram's effort.

It takes great effort, but we should try hard to keep things in perspective. It is trivial to demonstrate how flawed it is to overreact to single games. Seattle hung 34 on Arizona's #2 ranked (by DVOA) defense just the week before.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
BleedGreenNblue":l0253b56 said:
Ive given up on hoping for blow outs. I just want to see a W no matter how its done

And in the end, that is all that REALLY matters.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
formido":ra1yz9d3 said:
FlyingGreg":ra1yz9d3 said:
Not with our O line.

The book is out? If by book you mean "have St. Louis's defensive line" then yes, the book is out. Unless Tampa Bay has by chance traded for St. Louis's defense, who did almost the exact same thing to us last year, at home, when we were in the midst of a historic offensive run, I don't see them duplicating the Ram's effort.

It takes great effort, but we should try hard to keep things in perspective. It is trivial to demonstrate how flawed it is to overreact to single games. Seattle hung 34 on Arizona's #2 ranked (by DVOA) defense just the week before.

No. St Louis magnified it, but this offense has had it's ass handed to it all season. Carolina, Houston (for a half), Tennessee also really made it tough. Arizona, away from just looking at the final score, also punished us and forced three fumbles by Wilson.

Also, let's stop making the Rams defense the best ever. They match up well with us, but the onus is on the coaching. Where was the help against Quinn? The game adjustments sucked.

Wilson is already approaching the number of sacks he had all last season. We are damn lucky we have him and not a statue.

We win tomorrow, probably easy. But the idea that the offense is suddenly going to ignite because it did in the second half last season doesn't add up.

Here's hoping we see quick throws, swing passes, and the tight ends utilized tomorrow. We need to start making teams pay for being so aggressive.

hawk45

Reaction score
tom sawyer":26bfwnk2 said:
bestfightstory":26bfwnk2 said:

It's all about "catching them expecting something". When you baffle a defense you make them over-think and second guess, then you get that loosening, we don't have all the weapons we have had, this means you *invent new ways to use the weapons you have.

Er...I think it's more about "having a healthy OL" or "having an OL that can stop a stiff breeze" which leads to "QB having more than .5 seconds before getting crushed."

I mean Bevell would certainly nod his head at your analysis, he's been trying all season do overthink things by calling 7 step drops as he twirls his mustache and says to himself "no way they will expect me to murder my quarterback like this...it's BRILLIANT."

Pep talks aside, Russell will look good this Sunday because he's going against the Bucs. But even if he has a good game, he'll probably still get battered more than we'd like, because we seem to have no answer for that other than waiting for our tackles to get healthy. And even then it's not like they're going to start stonewalling the pass rush.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2gi861q3 said:
No. St Louis magnified it, but this offense has had it's ass handed to it all season. Carolina, Houston (for a half), Tennessee also really made it tough. Arizona, away from just looking at the final score, also punished us and forced three fumbles by Wilson.

I'm not at all happy with the trouncing that Wilson took in those games, AND YET, that we are SEVEN arguably should be eight, wins.
I realize that we are weakend at a lot of positions in the Offense, but 7 & 1 for the first time in Seahawks history?
I mean, just think about that for a minute, should we be 7 & 1 with the shitty way that some plays have broken down, ESPECIALLY on the road games?, hell no, but it's true, and it's not 'LUCK', not seven times, not nearly 8 times in a row.
I think that a lot of that success is attributed to the intelligence of our Quarterback, and his leadership with both the Offense, and Defense.
Pete has made it clear, that this is a symbiosis system, and that it only succeeds if every SINGLE person is doing his assignment, and not letting someone else pick up YOUR slack in play.
Carroll said that he was unhappy with Rice's injury, it was unfortunate, but said that it's time for the "next man up"
There's a bunch of Seahawks fans around here that have made fun of the O-Line players that are getting blown up by PRO BOWLERS, and let's just take a little stroll down memory lane guys, back to a game last Season, when the Rams registered 6 sacks on Wilson, and that was with all our #1s in place, and hell, we even lost a game to them in ST Louie last Season.
I'm somewhat bothered that we haven't seen more growth by the Seahawks, but I'm way more encouraged to see that they've pulled out wins, when it looked like the deck was stacked against them in several tough games this Season.

seahawks08

Reaction score
I think with Sidney not in the roster, I feel we will struggle offensively again tomorrow. I don't think Kearse can replace Sidney 100% and Golden Tate will be double covered. I am hoping Baldwin will get some catches and lots of Marshawn and Turbin. I am sure RW will still be running, I just hope he gets better protection and not get hit as much as he has been lately.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Any bets you see the buc's load the box tomorrow? And when they do I hope to see the revision I wanted to see in the second half against the lambs! Bevell could certainly help his cause by being agressive the first half of this game.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":1uflnkc4 said:
Any bets you see the buc's load the box tomorrow? And when they do I hope to see the revision I wanted to see in the second half against the lambs! Bevell could certainly help his cause by being agressive the first half of this game.
Agreed, Bevel could really set the tone of the whole game by forcing the Buc's to play at a more rapid pace, but then again, RW might like to get a feel for the tendencies of the Defenses, and how he might better take control of the game flow.
I think the reason the Seahawks like to defer, and receive the ball on second half kickoffs, is so they can get a feel of how the flow of the game is going, before making a commitment, BUT I agree that WE need to set the pace early on, and put them on the bubble, to having to make changes to their game plans, knock them off their stride so to speak :idea:

Happy

Reaction score
scutterhawk":jpxtb910 said:
Agreed, Bevel could really set the tone of the whole game by forcing the Buc's to play at a more rapid pace, but then again, RW might like to get a feel for the tendencies of the Defenses, and how he might better take control of the game flow.
I think the reason the Seahawks like to defer, and receive the ball on second half kickoffs, is so they can get a feel of how the flow of the game is going, before making a commitment, BUT I agree that WE need to set the pace early on, and put them on the bubble, to having to make changes to their game plans, knock them off their stride so to speak :idea:

So, you're theorizing that the seahawks offensive philosophy is to be a counter puncher. Let the other team show their game-plan first, then punch back.

That makes a lot of sense. How many times have we watched the pete caroll seahawks offense come out doing nothing then crushing teams in the second half? More than what's typical I reckon.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I'd love to see us blow them out, but with our sad OL and Bev and Pete's apparent inability to come up with a consistently effective scheme against aggressive Defenses, I just don't see it happening. I hope our D remains stingy and forces some turnovers while our O avoids any, which should be enough for the W.

I agree with everyone who recognizes that ugly W's still count, and I don't expect much else for quite a while.